1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Block Heater Cord Melted

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by LifeIsGood169, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Feb 27, 2012 at 10:07 AM
    LifeIsGood169

LifeIsGood169 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma XtraCab 2.7L 5spd
    Chime Mod Kenwood Headunit Greased all Zerks, locks, and bushings Reverse Flood Lights Extang Cover Weather stripped tailgate Burner Fog Lights Toggle Switches in Dash
    The Problem:
    The electrical plug has melted rubber/plastic around the prongs from over heating. It looked like it was plugged in 1/2 way for a day. How do I clean the melted rubber off & do I need a new extension cord? The plug from the heater looks ok before the metal prong connection.

The Story:
    Ok so I was being a good guy by sober driving my friends around last Saturday. When we get back to the out door parking lot everyone gets out & I go to plug in my block heater as usual. But my drunk friend pushes me away and says he'll do it. So he plugs it in & I go over to check it but he keeps pushing me away. At a glimpse in the night, it looked like the heater was plugged in fine so I left.
    I just went outside today to unplug it:
    - the plug was only 1/2 way in
    - there were some sparks
    - the extension cord (female end) looks melted
    - the block heater (male connector) just has some discoloration & melted plastic on the connectors

Pretty annoyed.... :mad:

2. Feb 27, 2012 at 10:39 AM
    RattleTractor

RattleTractor Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '04 Unicorn Tacoma
    1KZ-TE Diesel, GFC, Pizza cutters, Dorkel
    1. Does it still work in the current state?
    2. If yes...then who cares? Just reprimand your friend a little bit and always do that stuff yourself in the future.
    3. If no, either clean off the plus(s) a little bit to see if that helps. Maybe check all connections. Then ask your friend nicely to get you a new one. Or do without it. I don't think it gets cold enough south of the top part of the lower 48 to actually need one.

Products Discussed in

To Top