LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Clarification on what a TRD package "is"...

Old 02-28-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
scotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scotrinaf's Tacoma Gallery
Clarification on what a TRD package "is"...

I talked to the dealer today after having some debate on the forums as how to tell if your truck has the TRD package or if someone just put the decal on there to make it look better...

The dealer told me the easiest way to tell is if the original shocks are blue Bilstein shocks, if the original shocks are black, no go on the TRD package. He also said that you'll have the additionial skid plates on the gas tank, etc.

Anyone else aware of this or what other things make up the TRD package?

I have a 2004 Prerunner Double Cab 2.7L 4x2
Old 02-28-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotrinaf View Post
I talked to the dealer today after having some debate on the forums as how to tell if your truck has the TRD package or if someone just put the decal on there to make it look better...

The dealer told me the easiest way to tell is if the original shocks are blue Bilstein shocks, if the original shocks are black, no go on the TRD package. He also said that you'll have the additionial skid plates on the gas tank, etc.

Anyone else aware of this or what other things make up the TRD package?

I have a 2004 Prerunner Double Cab 2.7L 4x2
Someone could easily change the shocks, no?

I'd say the easiest way to determine if it is a TRD is if it has a factory rear e-locker
Old 02-28-2012, 11:50 AM   #3
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post

I'd say the easiest way to determine if it is a TRD is if it has a factory rear e-locker
+ the other button thingy, the one similar to activating the E-Locker.

That and the factory billies are yellow, not blue with a "Toyota" stamped on them.

What I find curious is all the literature that've read says that SR5= 4X4, yet you have in your sig SR5 and 4X2, so who is wrong here?

And now that we are in this subject, are the rear leafs for TRD's different to Non TRD's's?
Old 02-28-2012, 11:52 AM   #4
scotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
+ the other button thingy, the one similar to activating the E-Locker.

That and the factory billies are yellow, not blue with a "Toyota" stamped on them.

What I find curious is all the literature that've read says that SR5= 4X4, yet you have in your sig SR5 and 4X2, so who is wrong here?

And now that we are in this subject, are the rear leafs for TRD's different to Non TRD's's?

Incorrect, I don't have the E-Locker, but based on my VIN it definitely is the SR5, and according to the dealership, definitely TRD, so either it was special ordered that way, or there are more variables in the mix...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post

Yes they could, but that's why I said to verify they were the original ones.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:55 AM   #5
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, locker doesnt always equal TRD. Most 2.7l TRDs dont have lockers but had the suspension and other TRD items.
Ive also read that a locker could have been added to non-TRD models if special ordered.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:57 AM   #6
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Incorrect, I don't have the E-Locker, but based on my VIN it definitely is the SR5, and according to the dealership, definitely TRD, so either it was special ordered that way, or there are more variables in the mix...

Yes they could, but that's why I said to verify they were the original ones.
Other variables. 4 banger autos won't come with an e-locker.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Other variables. 4 banger autos won't come with an e-locker.

True, mine is an automatic... Failed to mention that earlier.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #8
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
If you have all of this then it's a limited edition, which based on your avatar looks to be the case

Limited Package includes
- color-keyed front bumper and fender flares
- chrome grille surround, door handles, power remote outside mirrors and chrome rear bumper
- P265/70 R16 tires on 16” aluminum alloy wheels
- orange-illuminated white-faced gauges (speedometer, tachometer with LCD twin tripmeters, and coolant temperature and fuel-level
meters)
- power windows and door locks
- leather-trimmed tilt steering wheel
- leather-trimmed shift knob (manual transmission only)
- washer-linked variable intermittent windshield wipers
- cruise control
- defroster-linked CFC-free air conditioning
- fabric-trimmed sport seats with driver’s power-adjustable lumbar support
- Deluxe 3-in-1 audio system with six speakers
Old 02-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #9
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPib View Post
The PreRunner sits higher than a base model Tacoma, but an SR5 is just a fancier more creature-comfort model.

PreRunner, has all the parts of a 4x4 WITHOUT the functional parts. It's designed to look and sit like a 4x4 (ie: higher, tougher looking)

SR5: Power everything, cabin upgrades,
Wiki is hardly 100% proof, but in life only GOD is always right!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Tacoma
Old 02-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #10

Marines:
Quote:
Wiki is hardly 100% proof, but in life only GOD is always right!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Tacoma
Toyota > wiki

http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=89
Old 02-28-2012, 12:07 PM   #11
I've got 4X4, E-Locker, and billies along with most electric features. I don't have Cruise Control.

I LOVE CC...
Old 02-28-2012, 12:07 PM   #12
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If you have all of this then it's a limited edition, which based on your avatar looks to be the case

Limited Package includes
- chrome grille surround, door handles, power remote outside mirrors and chrome rear bumper
- orange-illuminated white-faced gauges (speedometer, tachometer with LCD twin tripmeters, and coolant temperature and fuel-level
meters)
- cruise control
I have all that except leather steering wheel and power lumbar seats. So I guess the rest is just SR5?
Old 02-28-2012, 12:07 PM   #13
Quote:

No argument!
Old 02-28-2012, 12:10 PM   #14

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
I have all that except leather steering wheel and power lumbar seats. So I guess the rest is just SR5?
Probably the SR5 color matched package.

SR5 package:
- chrome bumpers and grille surround
- defroster-linked CFC-free air conditioning (standard on PreRunner Xtracab V6)
- dual-fabric sun visors with mirror and visor extensions
- orange-illuminated white-faced gauges (speedometer, tachometer with LCD twin tripmeters and coolant temperature and fuel-level
meters)
- digital clock
- tilt steering wheel
- dual-fabric sunvisors with mirror and visor extensions
- sliding rear window with privacy glass

Color-keyed SR5 Package includes
- all SR5 Package contents plus:
- color-keyed bumpers, grille surround and door handles (includes color-keyed mirrors on 4x2 models, available on PreRunner and 4x4)

Looks a lot like the limited doesn't it.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #15

Marines:
Quote:
No argument!
Old 02-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #16
tacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoma guy's Tacoma Gallery
x2 , SR5 is the trim package. Mine is a 99 prerunner SR5. It is not the TRD. but it did come with yellow billies from factory and no E Locker.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #17

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma guy View Post
x2 , SR5 is the trim package. Mine is a 99 prerunner SR5. It is not the TRD. but it did come with yellow billies from factory and no E Locker.
Yeah the shock thing is not a really a determining factor. My 98 TRD had the same shocks too.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #18

Quote:

Limited Package includes
meters)
- cruise control

Not sure on the "Fabric Trimmed" sport seats and the "Defroster linked CFC free a/c", but everything else I think I have.

Wouldn't there be a "Limited" badge on the outside somewhere?
Wait, I have the original window sticker, let me see what that says... DUH!!! LOL
Old 02-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #19
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
all the literature that've read says that SR5= 4X4, yet you have in your sig SR5 and 4X2, so who is wrong here?
Mine is a 4x2 Prerunner, Doublecab TRD with the SR5 package I can also confirm mine has all of the below.

SR5 package:
- orange-illuminated white-faced gauges (speedometer, tachometer with LCD twin tripmeters and coolant temperature and fuel-level
meters)
- digital clock
- tilt steering wheel
Old 02-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Dave View Post
Mine is a 4x2 Prerunner, Doublecab TRD with the SR5 package I can also confirm mine has all of the below.

SR5 package:
meters)
- digital clock
- tilt steering wheel
Well shoot, my VIN says "Limited" but I still don't have CC!

Oh well I still have, E locker, 4X4 and ECM or whatever it's called!