1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clutch advise/info needed

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Hillingdoner, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Feb 29, 2012 at 8:49 AM
    Hillingdoner

Hillingdoner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    95 LX xtracab 3.4L 4x4 5spd
    140 amp Cadillac alternator, Audio system in progress, 4Runner map light mirror conversion, foot well lamp addition, buckets and console from 99 Tacoma regular cab, big three, tint
    Okay, been doing a lot of search/reading on clutches etc so hopefully this is not the typical "what's the best clutch" deal. Have a few questions and looking for input on choices.

1995 3.4 xtra cab 4wd 5speed

Been looking around at clutches as I need to do one. Absolutely dread it as will be just me and not done one since I was a teen (and that was on a 1970 z28!). I'm....ahem.... quite a bit older now. Just can't afford the local dealers $936 plus tax to do the clutch!!!:eek:

Looking at the OE Aisin kit off RockAuto at $257 for the kit. Leaning toward OE as driving is pretty light and just want something long lasting and reliable. Use of the truck certainly does not need a super duper $500 race type clutch.

Drive mostly street, very little hauling, very light/little off road just dirt roads, snow etc. Look like a good deal or is it available mainstream cheaper for the same thing? Every dollar saved as they say.

I did find the kit that is supposed to be the same (Aisin and part number)on eBay from GripForce for $172 with free ship, but wonder about that one and the seller. Anyone with experience with them? Their feedback seems okay.

Saw a lot of posts about getting the 1200lb kit from Marlin Crawler. Not trying to start a bashing/flame war as know nothing about them, but looking at their website my impression is it seems a bit iffy. Kits seemed pieced together and see a number of posts on wrong parts, having to redo the job soon after for faulty pieces, no stock/long back orders and just seems a bit of an unorganised operation. Just my impression/feeling from just looking around at them this AM and I could be totally off base.

Only bring up as interested at the price, if this is a quality deal, then worth doing for my light type driving or better off with the factory Aisin kit? Others experiences? Just looking for something reliable, long lasting and precise. Like everyone I guess, just want the clutch to work as it should and not to have to go back in and redo the work I just did soon after.

Other question is on hydralics. Clutch master and slave seem fairly inexpensive so thought I'd redo the lot while I'm at it as the truck has quite a lot of miles on it with really no known history on it.

Looking on Rock Auto, they now have little hearts by the most popular items in some categories to help show what others are buying. They have the same Aisin brand master at $44, but they also have a heart next to the Dorman one that is $29. Any experience with the Dorman?

As I said, any cash that can be saved all the better, but don't want to sacrafice quality and have issues with it.

Thanks for any help, advise, info etc.

Cheers

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Feb 29, 2012 at 8:51 AM
    amaes

amaes Cuz Stock Sucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ Built
    ICON Stage 6, RCI Skids, Blacked out
  3. Feb 29, 2012 at 9:50 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
  4. Feb 29, 2012 at 12:02 PM
    Hillingdoner

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    140 amp Cadillac alternator, Audio system in progress, 4Runner map light mirror conversion, foot well lamp addition, buckets and console from 99 Tacoma regular cab, big three, tint
    Thanks for the link. Will give them a look.

When I do the job I doubt I'll be able to get the flywheel resurfaced so wondering about replacing it.
    See one on RockAuto made by Brute Power. Anyone have any experience with them or????

5. Feb 29, 2012 at 12:20 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Any machine shop can do it. Some Napa stores will do it too. A new one is the better option though.

6. Mar 1, 2012 at 6:12 AM
    Hillingdoner

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    Hi,

Thought new for a couple of reasons. Probably original part at over 240k on it. And most importantly, will probably late evening/night with me battling the gearbox and transfer case on my lonesome. Once have it apart (if the quality is okay) for the money for that Brute Power new flywheel I'd rather get all back together and have the job done than have to wait until I can get to a machine shop to have it done. Live sort of on the outskirts so everywhere is a good distance to get to.

The Brute Power flywheel is listed at something like $60. Anyone any input on it? Experience?
    There is a Delco one there too at $90 (going off memory on prices). Not sure on any difference other than brand name.

Products Discussed in

To Top