Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Noise from heater fan in 1st Gen

Old 12-10-2008, 06:11 PM   #1
bigredscowboy is on a distinguished road
bigredscowboy's Tacoma Gallery
Noise from heater fan in 1st Gen

I searched relentlessly for this and only found threads from 2nd Gen'rs. I could hear my blower buzzing at 70mph with the radio on. It was driving me so crazy that I finally unscrewed the blower's (underneath the glove box at the far right) three torx/philips screws and dropped it down with the wires still attached. It was caked with lent on one side throwing it off balance. Tested it, screwed it back in and everything is much quieter. Hope this helps someone.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:37 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
definitely thanks for the post. im gonna take a look at mine tomorrow!! mine is making the same kinda noise while im cruising on the interstate.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
LarryJ is on a distinguished road
LarryJ's Tacoma Gallery
I was hoping my heater fan was caked with dust so I could clean it to quiet it down. No such luck. Anyone have any thoughts on how to quiet the heater fan. It's making a squeek-like noise.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #5
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post
I was hoping my heater fan was caked with dust so I could clean it to quiet it down. No such luck. Anyone have any thoughts on how to quiet the heater fan. It's making a squeek-like noise.
That's a very common problem. Mine sounds like a colony of hamsters having an orgy sometimes.

I've heard two different routes to go with this:

1. Open up the fan blower and clean

2. Replace it

I'm opting for #2 seeing how the blower is only $30 or so (at least the last time I checked)
Old 02-09-2012, 06:25 AM   #6
LarryJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
I'm opting for #2 seeing how the blower is only $30 or so (at least the last time I checked)
Today I was quoted $180 for a new blower motor. Are you only replacing the plastic blades.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:53 PM   #7
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post
Today I was quoted $180 for a new blower motor. Are you only replacing the plastic blades.
Like I said, it's been awhile since I've checked, but it looks like a replacement is about $40 on rockauto.com
Old 02-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #10
96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

96Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Just get another one from the auto wreckers. Mine was missing once of the blades and it would hum on high
Old 02-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #11
LarryJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
TYC makes a blower for 1st gens, too:

http://www.logical-source.com/2000-T...COMA-3572.html
just ordered a new blower motor off of ebay. $43, including shipping.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:29 PM   #12
LarryJ's Tacoma Gallery
Installed my new TYC bower motor tonight. It's a little less annoying than the original, but still makes a low whirrrr noise.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #13
Yeti Hunter
Bennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Bennett707's Tacoma Gallery
Going to bump this, good time of year.

Mine is squeeking as well.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverSound View Post
Fortunately for me, my blower motor squeak is covered up by the passenger air bag cover squeak.
5 screws/bolts and 5 minutes of your time will take care of that.

I just fixed mine a couple of weeks ago.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #16
Yeti Hunter
Bennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

link please? i got to get rid of these noises!
Old 11-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipreferwater View Post
link please? i got to get rid of these noises!
I'll try to find the link but it's essentially this:

Remove your glove box (3 bolts)
Remove that panel inside of it (2 screws or bolts, can't remember)

Look up around the whole airbag harness thing and you'll see points of contact between it and the back of the panel you can see from your dash. I used left over Ensolite to pad it, but you can use weatherstripping.

There's also some kind of metal module thing with wires leading in and out of it. That thing rattled a bit in my dash so I secured it with some left over raammat, but I'd imagine you could use duct tape or gaffer's tape.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:10 PM   #18
Yeti Hunter

Turn air bag off of course to any others reading that. lol
Old 11-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipreferwater View Post
Turn air bag off of course to any others reading that. lol
oh yeah... mine is always off
Old 11-26-2012, 06:02 PM   #20
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

But if I do that I will hear my blower squeak.