1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need to stop the alarm from going off

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by haneth, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Mar 4, 2012 at 10:08 AM
    haneth

haneth [OP] Member

Member:
    I know, I know; total noob. My girlfriend is in Hawaii with family (grrr) and here I am changing her fuel filter and oil. Per a fine recommendation on this site yesterday, I disconnected the battery in order to change the fuel filter. After that, I started it up, took a test drive, returned home and locked it up. As I go to unlock it this morning to change the oil, the alarm goes off. Trying everything to no avail, I pull the pos battery cable and it, of course, stops.
    How do I reset this?
    Thanks.

2. Mar 4, 2012 at 10:13 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Aftermarket alarm? Is there a remote for it?

If it's aftermarket and you don't have the remote for some reason, I'd just disconnect it. They are usually just stashed under the dash and easy to defeat.

If it's factory......well, hopefully someone on here will see this and know what to do.

3. Mar 4, 2012 at 10:15 AM
    haneth

haneth [OP] Member

Member:
    No fob. I am assuming it is aftermarket.

4. Mar 4, 2012 at 10:27 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Look under the dash for a black plastic box with a bunch of wires going into it. It will look like an aftermarket piece if that's what is it. Probably not installed very neatly and should stand out. Most of the time there's one large plug on it to disconnect and everything goes back to normal.

5. Mar 4, 2012 at 4:46 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    mine came with one and I did not know it till the battery died, new one reset it.
    there was a small switch above where your LEFT FOOT would rest. stick key in ing. and turn to start and then flick switch, (I think that is the way I did it)
    mine would not start until i did this....... scared me, first car with a aftermarket alarm....

6. Mar 4, 2012 at 7:06 PM
    TacoMX

TacoMX TW's Official anti body-lift pundit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    X2

Mine has a Viper alarm (aftermarket) and its in the drivers kick panel by the door.

If you find it just full a fuse or a plug that is wired into the controller box

7. Mar 6, 2012 at 8:37 AM
    haneth

haneth [OP] Member

Member:
    It is the viper aftermarket alarm. The fob is glitchy, apparently. It has the toggle switch on the driver's side wall footwell. I tried turning the ignition to the 'on' position and flipping the switch, to no avail.
    Anyone know where the relay is, so I can disconnect the stinker?

8. Mar 6, 2012 at 9:01 AM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    well this is what i found when mine was going off, right before x-mas, raining/sleeting and getting dark
    Try another alternative to disarming the Viper alarm using the ignition and your key. Place the key in the car's ignition and turn it to the "on" position. Press the valet button--a tiny button usually located under the dashboard or close to the pedals--down quickly and hold it until the flashing LED light goes off.

Read more: How to Disarm a Viper Car Alarm | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_6330451_disarm-viper-car-alarm.html#ixzz1oM8wEvVy

all i could figure since my battery died and when i put a new one in that turned on the alarm, so i unhooked the battery, waited a few mins, rehooked it, and then i did the ignition, and then i flipped and held the little switch.
    auto wiring scares me, i have seen what too many tards do, so when i get some new speakers, i am going to have them gut it.

Products Discussed in

To Top