LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Input shaft bearing

Old 03-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
RT831 is on a distinguished road
RT831's Tacoma Gallery
Question Input shaft bearing

is the input shaft bearing worth replacing?
and does it do any harm if the bearing is bad?
Old 03-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
RT831's Tacoma Gallery
Question Input shaft bearing

input shaft bearing whining is it worth replacing
and is it doing any harm?
thanks
Old 03-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT831 View Post
input shaft bearing whining is it worth replacing
and is it doing any harm?
thanks
Yes. If it goes, it has the potential to run the input shaft of the tranny and the tranny itself.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:46 AM   #4
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Yes. Replace it asap. When squeakey bearings fail, it gets ugly fast!
Old 03-06-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
RT831's Tacoma Gallery
Question

i talked to a few mechanics and they said no to worry. i have 119000 on it and they said just replace it when i need to replace the clutch.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:34 AM   #6
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
If it was my truck, I would be quickly getting money for a clutch kit. 120k is the low end for replacing the clutch, but with a bearing going bad it's a good time to get it done.
They say not to worry, but it's your truck and your risk. They won't have to pay for it either.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:47 AM   #7
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
If it's not making a sound dont worry about it. They'll start to squeal and then the fail, at least thats my experience.

FWIW there was a tranny bearing squealing on my truck (dont know if it was pilot or throwout) but the squealing stopped and then my clutch started slipping. But last weekend my truck got a new clutch flywheel and bearings
Old 03-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #8
dorkmagus has much to be proud ofdorkmagus has much to be proud ofdorkmagus has much to be proud ofdorkmagus has much to be proud ofdorkmagus has much to be proud ofdorkmagus has much to be proud ofdorkmagus has much to be proud ofdorkmagus has much to be proud ofdorkmagus has much to be proud ofdorkmagus has much to be proud of

Name: Shane
dorkmagus's Tacoma Gallery
Wait, are you talking about a throwout bearing or input shaft bearing (inside the trans)? If it's the input shaft bearing then you have to open up the transmission to replace it. It will be loud when the clutch is engaged and will be quiet when the clutch is disengaged.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:17 PM   #9
RT831's Tacoma Gallery
here is exactly whats happening.
Start the car. put it in neutral(staying still)
after a few seconds i hear a little squeaky bearing(whitsling kinda)
barley put foot on the clutch pedal and its gone.(like a throw out bearing)
push the clutch to the floor all the way and it this other wooooooo ing sound is gone.
take the clutch out and the woooing sound and squeaky bearing sound comes back.
the truck only has 119000 miles on it.
thanks. and please no smart a$$ comments
Old 03-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #10
EV831 is on a distinguished road
Name: ETHAN
EV831's Tacoma Gallery
ha
Old 03-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #11
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
push the clutch to the floor all the way and it this other wooooooo ing sound is gone.
Sounds like the throw out bearing
Old 03-18-2012, 02:05 PM   #12
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Yes. If it goes, it has the potential to run the input shaft of the tranny and the tranny itself.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This, & does it whine all the time or in certain gears ?

Not really sure it matters (mine used to whine noticeably in 5th)

But jury is kinda out on the longevity of noisy input bearing, some get noisy & go out relatively soon & I've seen some go on thru out the life of the vehicle, I'd change it just because it annoys the hell out of me, not cheap to replace tho'

It's a $10-$20 bearing with about a $1000 worth of labor to replace....
Old 03-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #13
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just read this, if you're sitting still & this noise is occuring I'd say throw out also..
Old 03-18-2012, 04:07 PM   #14
RT831's Tacoma Gallery
When I drive I can hear a whine, In all gears but it shifts perfect. And it stops whining when I'm off the gas in gears and coasting.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:28 PM   #15
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
When I drive I can hear a whine, In all gears but it shifts perfect. And it stops whining when I'm off the gas in gears and coasting.
Ok, back to input shaft bearing
Old 03-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #16
dorkmagus has much to be proud ofdorkmagus has much to be proud ofdorkmagus has much to be proud ofdorkmagus has much to be proud ofdorkmagus has much to be proud ofdorkmagus has much to be proud ofdorkmagus has much to be proud ofdorkmagus has much to be proud ofdorkmagus has much to be proud ofdorkmagus has much to be proud of

Name: Shane
dorkmagus's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I've found that most of the time if you hear it only when the clutch pedal is pressed in (disengaged) then it's the throwout. If you hear it when the pedal is out (engaged) then it's the input shaft bearing. However with the ones I've dealt with it usually sounds more like a box of rocks in your tranny than a whining noise. I work for Honda though and hear it mostly on older civics...haven't heard it on a tacoma.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:33 PM   #17
RT831's Tacoma Gallery
yeah but at 119000 miles, would the input shaft bearing go out and whine, it seems way to early?
Old 03-21-2012, 08:14 PM   #18
EV831 is on a distinguished road
Name: ETHAN
EV831's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE]yeah but at 119000 miles, would the input shaft bearing go out and whine, it seems way to early?[QUOTE]
yeah your truck could just be a lemon.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:34 PM   #19
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yeah but at 119000 miles, would the input shaft bearing go out and whine, it seems way to early?
I had an 83' straight axle that had 95k when it started making noise (whining) & finally changed it at about 225k

annoying , but long lasting
Old 03-21-2012, 09:36 PM   #20
Hummingbird
Foihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Danny
Foihdzas's Tacoma Gallery
I put 60,000 km's on a squeaky input shaft bearing on my ranger ... no probs

although i should have protected my investment by replacing it...

seemed to be fine when I sold it tho.