Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2001 tacoma backfire out of the air box

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-15-2012, 07:09 AM   #1
archy32 is on a distinguished road
archy32's Tacoma Gallery

Ok Guys I need help. I have a 2001 tacoma 6cyl. When i get to 4 rpm it backfires out of the air box. The the truck runs fine otherwise and has plenty of power. Only when on demand like passing another vehicle and i excellerate to 4 rpm is when i hear the sound. Changed the plugs and wires. Still doing it. Going to change the fuel filter today. No engine light and no codes. Anyone know whats going on or had this happen to them?
Old 02-15-2012, 07:15 AM   #2
hetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
I think first an ignition timing check, followed by a leakdown test should be a good start...

Check timing at idle then see if it advances correctly. A leakdown test should find a bad valve. Not sure about the best way to verify cam timing without going into the timing belt area.

Howard
Old 03-02-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
archy32's Tacoma Gallery
backfire

ok. So I changed the plugs again. Also checked the timing. Everything is ok. What I did notice now is that there is black smoke that comes out of the tail pipe when it goes to a backfire. Any suggestion?
Old 03-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Maybe one of the cam gears skip a tooth on the belt? Just a guess.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Another idea...

A clogged or loose honeycomb in a cat can cause that symptom, when flow really gets up there it can't push it out and the intake gets really really loud. Normally a carbon clog gives the symptoms you're describing (only a problem at high rpm). I was less lucky, I once had a honeycomb of a cheap aftermarket unit break loose and lodge sideways into the outlet and it effectively set my 1.6L engine's redline at 2000 rpm.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #6
archy32's Tacoma Gallery
still have it

ok. so i took the cat off of the vehicle. Running with only a muffler. Still having the same problem. Ill check for the skip tooth. Im running out of options here
Old 03-05-2012, 11:05 AM   #7
archy32's Tacoma Gallery
cam and the belt are in good shape. No problems there. Damn. Anyone else
Old 03-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #8
Enzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to behold

Name: Opie
Enzo's Tacoma Gallery
I wish I could help you. You do realize this is the 2nd gen forum right?
Old 03-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #9
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
That is funny, he asked the people who don't drive 5VZs what's wrong with his

I'm out of ideas too.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #10
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
check your injectors to see if one is pushin too much fuel?
Old 03-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #11
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by archy32 View Post
Ok Guys I need help. I have a 2001 tacoma 6cyl. When i get to 4 rpm it backfires out of the air box. The the truck runs fine otherwise and has plenty of power. Only when on demand like passing another vehicle and i excellerate to 4 rpm is when i hear the sound. Changed the plugs and wires. Still doing it. Going to change the fuel filter today. No engine light and no codes. Anyone know whats going on or had this happen to them?
Did you put the plugs back in the right order? After changing them? Timing, adjust valves.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:50 AM   #12
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Did you do the leakdown test yet? My money says bad or non-seating valve. Seafoam may cure the latter.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:20 AM   #13
archy32's Tacoma Gallery

Ok
Old 03-06-2012, 08:21 AM   #14
archy32's Tacoma Gallery
checked

ok. So I changed the plugs again. Also checked the timing. Everything is ok. What I did notice now is that there is black smoke that comes out of the tail pipe when it goes to a backfire. Any suggestion?
Old 03-06-2012, 08:22 AM   #15
archy32's Tacoma Gallery
?????

ok. so i took the cat off of the vehicle. Running with only a muffler. Still having the same problem. Im running out of options here. The cam and timing belt are in good shape. No problems there. Damn. Anyone?
Old 03-07-2012, 04:44 AM   #16
yummjake is on a distinguished road

Name: Jacob
yummjake's Tacoma Gallery
honestly it sounds like a timing problem, it happened to my truck when we first put the motor in (got it for 500 with a seized engine) had to fix the timing then she ran like a top, of course mine did it at idle. sorry if I'm not help.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #17
archy32's Tacoma Gallery
timing

I checked the timing twice and Im still getting the same symptoms. Thank you tho
Old 03-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #18
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Got me stumped. Try reseting the ECU (disconnect the battery and depress the brake or just wait a few min).

You might want to look into a shop.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #19
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
something is not right! now i always heard this that you can and will blow up your cats with the backfires!
dont know if your timing belt is dying and needs to be changed
taking off the cats and your CEL should be lite up like a xmas tree
have you changed plugs recently?
Old 03-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #20
Jenkinstall is on a distinguished road
Name: Jennings
Jenkinstall's Tacoma Gallery
check pcv

Products Discussed in this Thread