Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Paint Oxidation Help

Old 03-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
Warrick87 is on a distinguished road

Name: Peter
Warrick87's Tacoma Gallery
Paint Oxidation Help

the paint on my roof has been oxidating. The guy that sold the truck to me said that he took it to a place and they acted like they had to paint the whole thing, but I do not want them messing up the factory paint I have on the body. I don't mind going with a cheap paint job since since it's just the roof. Do any of you guys have any suggestions or price estimates for me?
Old 03-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
clay bars and a good deep cleaning and polishing!
Old 03-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #3

i'll take a picture later and post it. I think the oxidation/ peeling is too much to be recovered by clay bars and compound
Old 03-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

if the paint is pealing then something is going on, and I dont think that is a factory paint job. oxidating is one thing, if u live in the south or southwest, and its never waxed and run through cheap car washes then its going to fade
peeling sound like its been wrecked and covered up!
Old 03-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #5
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Any good body/paint shop can match the good paint and feather to match. They do it every day.-I don't buy that needing to paint the whole thing.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:00 PM   #6
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't go as far as jumping to the conclusion it's been wrecked. Especially since it's the roof it's not like if you wreck the truck they replace just the roof. It honestly just sounds like it was neglected to be washed/waxed consistently and probably spent it's time in one of the dry "Sun states" like Texas or Arizona. I see cars like that all around here in Texas with the just the roof peeling.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Old 03-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #8
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertgeejr1 View Post
if the paint is pealing then something is going on, and I dont think that is a factory paint job. oxidating is one thing, if u live in the south or southwest, and its never waxed and run through cheap car washes then its going to fade
peeling sound like its been wrecked and covered up!
Any paint will peel eventually if not taken care of.

My 97's hood was peeling and it was the original paint.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #9

hey i am sorry about that, anytime i see peeling auto paint, i think about used car hustlers when I was a kid, fill em with bondo and down to Earl Scheib!
Old 03-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #10

oh no, it wasn't wrecked or anything. I live in Florida, and the two previous owners lived in this area too. My 96 honda accord did the same thing too, except worse. I don't think black paint holds up as well in the sun. I'll take a pic tmr and post it and let you guys see if you think it needs to be taken to a shop to get a little paint job.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:53 PM   #11
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrick87 View Post
oh no, it wasn't wrecked or anything. I live in Florida, and the two previous owners lived in this area too. My 96 honda accord did the same thing too, except worse. I don't think black paint holds up as well in the sun. I'll take a pic tmr and post it and let you guys see if you think it needs to be taken to a shop to get a little paint job.
Just saw you are in Niceville. I have vacationed w/ my girlfriends family a few times in Ft. Walton. Her uncle lives in Shalimar. Nice place.

And yeah...FL sun+black paint is not a good combo.