Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Trouble starting in the cold

Old 12-11-2008, 05:57 PM   #1
Tacoma02TRD is a jewel in the roughTacoma02TRD is a jewel in the roughTacoma02TRD is a jewel in the rough

Tacoma02TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Trouble starting in the cold

I've been experiencing trouble starting my Tacoma when it gets really cold out. I'd say once it gets below freezing. What will happen is that I go to turn it on and it'll make and awful high pitched grinding sound. So I'll quit and then try it again and it starts up just fine. I'm wondering what I could do to make it so that I can just turn the key and not have to worry about it. IDK if new plugs are going to help elevate this problem or if there's something more I need to do. So let me know what you guys think is up.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:02 PM   #2
Im so hungry i can ride a horse...
kmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
kmrofka's Tacoma Gallery
i have the same problem man... i think chris said that it is a common problem in the first gen tacos
Old 12-11-2008, 06:07 PM   #3
Tacoma02TRD is a jewel in the roughTacoma02TRD is a jewel in the roughTacoma02TRD is a jewel in the rough

^^^ The battery is only a little over a year old. I'll take a look at the terminals tomorrow and see if I can't clean them up a bit. Sure hope its not the starter but who knows thanks for your input!
Old 12-11-2008, 06:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrofka View Post
i have the same problem man... i think chris said that it is a common problem in the first gen tacos
I'm glad I'm not alone on this one
Old 12-11-2008, 06:11 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrofka View Post
The grinding sound is indicative of a starter/battery problem
Old 12-11-2008, 06:13 PM   #6

Alright good to know I'll take a look at it tomorrow. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:17 PM   #7
mclapperton is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
mclapperton's Tacoma Gallery
The cold might be causing the stater pinion not to engage the starter ring gear completely on the first shot. Could be that your starter's getting tired. Only other thing I could think of by what you're describing could be worn teeth either on the ring or pinion gears.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:47 PM   #8
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
My truck has trouble starting when it's cold out too. There is this TSB about starting problems, but I have a feeling the problem is because of the starter instead of a ground.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:26 PM   #9
JJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt (Advisor Instructor 0311)
Name: Jay
JJ Customs's Tacoma Gallery
Try getting a pipe warmer and putting it on your starter. See if keeping it warm helps out. You can get them at any hardware for $15.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:00 PM   #10
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Alright, I was out shopping earlier. Whenever I first started the truck, it sounded real weak and took about 5 seconds to start. After I got done shopping, I went out and started my truck pretty easily. Think it has something to to do with the engine temp?
Old 12-13-2008, 05:39 AM   #11
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittim View Post
Alright, I was out shopping earlier. Whenever I first started the truck, it sounded real weak and took about 5 seconds to start. After I got done shopping, I went out and started my truck pretty easily. Think it has something to to do with the engine temp?
Sounds like the battery. Upon first start, the battery is weak, but after being driven, the alternator is chargeing it back up, so it starts more easilly. Mine does this just before the battery goes bad.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:56 AM   #12
come on fhqwhgads

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Sounds like the battery. Upon first start, the battery is weak, but after being driven, the alternator is chargeing it back up, so it starts more easilly. Mine does this just before the battery goes bad.
Is the little window thing that is supposed to show battery health accurate at all?
Old 12-13-2008, 04:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Is the little window thing that is supposed to show battery health accurate at all?
No.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:05 PM   #14
come on fhqwhgads

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think it has to do with the battery. I went out to do some shopping today, and it started up fairly easily. Temps today were mid 40's, whereas whenever it was having trouble it was probably mid 20's. So I'm assuming that it has something to do with ambient temperature...
Old 12-15-2008, 07:27 PM   #15

Quote:
I don't think it has to do with the battery. I went out to do some shopping today, and it started up fairly easily. Temps today were mid 40's, whereas whenever it was having trouble it was probably mid 20's. So I'm assuming that it has something to do with ambient temperature...
Colder temps reduce battery output.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:31 PM   #16
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
I bet it's the starter. My old blazer did that a couple times, both times turned out to be the starter going out... Make sure to carry a wrench around with you (to smack the starter when u get stranded)

just my .02
Old 12-15-2008, 07:33 PM   #17
sonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nice

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
Before you shut your truck off try turning all accessories off, and let it idle for a minute or 2. See if that helps any.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:17 PM   #18
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
I would say battery. I notices a "slugish" start on thanksgiving. That evening I used my truck to light my friends front yard for 5 minuted while he got firewood. My truck wouldnt start after that.