1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bad news is the crash, good news is cash

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by TacomaJPP, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Mar 11, 2012 at 5:27 PM
    TacomaJPP

TacomaJPP [OP] To secure peace, is to prepare for war

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    03 4WD TRD XTD Cab
    Snugtop Camper Brushguard
    I Plasti-dipped my grille and it has a matte, textured finish. The factor black parking lights have a smooth, gloss finish.

2. Mar 11, 2012 at 5:30 PM
    Snowman

Snowman I have a problem for your solution…

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Somewhere in Canada
    Vehicle:
    Check out my build
    ahh sensible

3. Mar 12, 2012 at 8:07 PM
    TacomaJPP

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    03 4WD TRD XTD Cab
  4. Mar 12, 2012 at 8:11 PM
    TacomaJPP

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    03 4WD TRD XTD Cab
    Supposed to get the truck Wednesday night (3/14/2012). I dropped it off last Wednesday. I'm going nuts. I went ahead and took Thursday and Friday off. It can't come soon enough.

Parts update, most parts will be here by Thursday. Thank God.

Lift will be here Wednesday.

5. Mar 12, 2012 at 8:12 PM
    saundern

saundern Swerve for nothing

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Simpsonville, SC
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport
    have a pic of the led corner? just ordered mine, but not from superbrightleds.com, so i would like to be able to compare

6. Mar 12, 2012 at 8:35 PM
    TacomaJPP

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    03 4WD TRD XTD Cab
    Not yet. I don't have my truck and haven't hooked it up to a battery just for shiggles yet either. I will Wednesday night.

7. Mar 12, 2012 at 8:39 PM
    TacomaJPP

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    03 4WD TRD XTD Cab
    Parts Update:

ARB Bull Bar: Still no word on shipping, WTF?
    Warn M8000 Winch: Arrives 3/13
    Warn 69222 Winch Kit: Arrives 3/13
    Toytec Ultimate Tacoma Front Lift: Arrives 3/13
    KC Slimlite 100w Foglight (single): Arrives 3/15
    Magnaflow 15811 Catback Exhaust System: Arrives 3/15
    Wheeler's Off Road Rear 1.5" AAL: Arrives 3/15

Also waiting on material for custom build back bumper...this week maybe?

8. Mar 12, 2012 at 8:42 PM
    KalamaKid

KalamaKid Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Oregon
    same shit as everyone else
  9. Mar 13, 2012 at 7:49 PM
    TacomaJPP

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    03 4WD TRD XTD Cab
    I apologize in advance. These pics don't do this light justice. I bought the amber LED and it is a very brilliant amber, almost orange. I really like the color.

TOP pic is factory bulbs, BOTTOM is the LED.

NOTE: The parking lights weren't mounted in this pic, I just had them hanging in there.

427f5d86_2bd71980ca73a8f3f8918983bd4abac2e42c2676.jpg

57605a3b_29067359a947e2764216940298d34b1356985e39.jpg

10. Mar 15, 2012 at 1:58 PM
    saundern

saundern Swerve for nothing

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Simpsonville, SC
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport
    look bright, mine should be here saturday if not earlier

11. Mar 16, 2012 at 9:57 PM
    TacomaJPP

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    03 4WD TRD XTD Cab
    Update:

-Toytec front lift on
    -Wheelers Off-road 1.5" AAL on
    -Bilstein 5100's on the rear
    -Magnaflow catback installed

26649639_acfe512be38c0f6bff9cd71a1f29d1f962c38a26.jpg

bd3e0e56_96a77d7f87220951137dbdcd65e0eee9b87c3926.jpg

12. Mar 16, 2012 at 9:59 PM
    TacomaJPP

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    03 4WD TRD XTD Cab
    Tomorrow the Warn M8000 winch and the ARB Bull Bar is going on.

b62841b7_f6ca79b7a2e70e419ebb4bbe443c9ce4788791ab.jpg

13. Mar 17, 2012 at 8:35 PM
    TacomaJPP

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    03 4WD TRD XTD Cab
    I'll post some lessons learned and final pics tomorrow, but for now, here it is:

d469f004_cebb450c9ebef7d2ee7e8c6e2511dc8d524aaa3f.jpg

14. Mar 17, 2012 at 8:39 PM
    TacomaJPP

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    03 4WD TRD XTD Cab
    Also, here's my updated badge setup:

Before:

aedbb66f_91d11e09d8269eb1e7426e1892c8967f8584756f.jpg

After:

b99f35cb_a30f38157b80c21941c363217f8ab0d3fe1a4a66.jpg

15. Mar 17, 2012 at 8:56 PM
    senor taco

senor taco ROLLIN ON RUST

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Monterey Bay, Ca
    Vehicle:
    O7 Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    17in fj cruiser wheels satoshi grille with devil horns emblem Single in double out 50 series flowmaster with stainless tips Kenwod ddx512 double din touch screen DVD reciver with a single Rockford fosgate 12 in sub with an alpine amp tinted tail and third break light silverstar head and fog lights k&n drop in Billy 5100's on all 4 corners with a 2"AAL
    Looks good.

16. Mar 18, 2012 at 6:18 PM
    TacomaJPP

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    03 4WD TRD XTD Cab
    Gave it a wash today and finished all of the small remaining items.

I still have to buy a new receiver hitch, build my rear bumper, and get the bed Line-X'd.

3ea181f8_d8c15f121fb078a434ecb4982390072c5987fc12.jpg

17. Mar 23, 2012 at 2:23 PM
    TacomaJPP

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    03 4WD TRD XTD Cab
    Okay, time for some lessons learned:

1) Toytec Coilover Front Lift ( )

Why: I opted for the Silver option and the HD coils since I was adding a winch and ARB Bumper (extra cantilevered weight). Plus, it was nearly time for new shocks anyway and I wanted a tougher stance. Team that with hauling a 20’ bass boat a lot and using a campershell half the year and I thought it would be worth the upgrade.

Install Time: 6 hours for me. Truthfully, that could have been 3. See below in point #2.

Tools: Jackstand, normal sockets, ratchets, and wrenches, PB blaster never hurts break loose some stubborn bolts, and a floor jack. I also used copious amounts of 2” x 4” x 10” pieces of cribbing to support my wimpy jack and jackstands.

On the first set I installed, I had a real difficult time getting them installed (as evident by this thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/209894-help-advice-how-pry-lca-myself.html)

Lessons Learned:

1) Take all of the pre-load of the coilover units out. In other words, run the nuts on the shocks all the way down. This effectively shortens the shock and means you have to pry less.

2) It took me 4 hours to get the first coilover in and about 30 minutes to do the other side. The difference? I ended up using my truck's bottle jack by turning it upside down within the fenderwell and placing the lifting surface of the jack on the castle nut on top of the Upper Control Arm (UCA). I don't really recommend this, I felt like at any time that SOB was going to fly out and decapitate me. I didn't need to loosen anything else on the front end to do this.

3) The directions by Toytec were really great (except the part where they don't really tell you how difficult it is to install nor to remove the pre-load). The instructions included were accurate and the pictures were relevant and in color. Not too shabby.

Problems: Not really, other than some annoying “clunk” coming from both sides. I suspect it is the sway-bar end links, but I’m not sure. I’ll get tinkering till I figure it out.

2) Wheeler’s Off Road Rear 1.5” AAL ( )

Why: I wanted to try to level the truck out some, so I added a little more to the front than I did the rear.

Install Time: It took me about 4-5 hours. I ended up needing 2 more jackstands (total of 4) and had to call Dad to bring a couple more. He ended up staying and helped me out. I would recommend two people for this job. It makes things a lot easier especially when trying to line up the centering pins in the leaf spring packs.

Tools: Normal wrenches, sockets, ratchets. I would suggest having a breaker bar for the u-bolt nuts. You also need 4 jackstands and a floor jack.. A 4” angle grinder with a cut-off wheel and a grinding wheel were needed.

Lessons Learned:

1) I don’t really know what I expected, but this was much more labor intensive than I originally figured. When you practically have to detach the rear axle, I should have expected to spend ½ day on this job.

2) The included instructions had no pictures, however, the written instructions were so thorough and concise that pictures weren’t really needed. Hats off to WOR for great directions.

3) I had to cut and grind the old leaf centering pins off. There was no other lazy way to do it.

4) I disconnected the “Y” brake bracket to give me some flexibility. I advise doing this and constantly checking the tension on your brake lines. I didn’t disconnect any other lines and have experienced no problems with brakes line since.

5) I advise squirting some PB Blaster on the u-bolt threads the night before you do this; it’ll just make things easier.

6) I had an air compressor and impact wrench. I saved me rotator cuff surgery from having to manually loosen/tighten the u-bolt nuts.

7) I also took a stainless steel bristled brush and cleaned the threads on the u-bolts. I also dabbed some anti-seize on the u-bolt threads as well.

8) Don’t forget that you will need an angle grinder with a cut-off wheel to trim the excess on the new centering bolt (provided in the kit) so that your factory bump-stops will fit.

9) NOTE: Make life simple by threading the centering nut on before you cut off the excess of the bolt. The nut should then be ran back up and over the threads to help clean up the cut-off portion – like using the nut as a thread die.

3) Magnaflow Catback Exhaust (P/N: 15811)

Why: Stock exhaust sucks.

Install Time: 1 hour. This includes removal of the original exhaust.

Tools: Sawzall, Normal wrenches, sockets, ratchets, WD40, 4” angle grinder with cut-off wheel and grinding wheel.

Lessons Learned:

1) When removing the factory exhaust, the bolts that bolt the catalytic converter to the intermediate pipe was so rusted that I had to cut and grind them off.

2) Realizing that I didn’t want to risk exhaust leaks, I pre-ordered the catalytic to intermediate pipe gasket as well as the post-catalytic converter Oxygen sensor gasket. I also bought two new cat to intermediate pipe bolts.

3) To make removal of the exhaust easier, I used a sawzall with a bi-metal blade to cut the exhaust in half (around the shock area).

4) To make removal and installation easier, spray all of the rubber exhaust connector linkages with WD40…it makes a huge difference.

5) The Magnaflow instructions were fairly accurate.

6) One issue that I experienced was that when I pulled the tailpipe (with tip) out of the box, there was a dent in the tip. I used a ball peen hammer and a hatchet (because of the flat side) wrapped in a sweatshirt to fix the ding. It actually came out perfect.

7) The other issue was that the rear bracket (which is replaced – provided in the kit), when bolted to the frame hit the weld for the rear mount of the leaf pack. Does it matter? Probably not, but I still hate stuff like that

Exhaustbracket_ca9353f5e34f200de9a2e0e7075e52229c3d5732.jpg

4) ARB Bull Bar (P/N: 3423020) and Warn M8000 Winch

Why: I had a brushguard before the wreck, truthfully, I hated it. It wasn’t robust and it decreases the truck’s approach angle. I though the ARB Bull Bar looked robust and it seems to be. I also wanted a winch forever.

Install Time: Too damn long. Seriously about 6 hours.

Tools: Sockets, ratches, and wrenches. Electric drill that accepts ½” drill. Allen wrenches. Wire strippers and crimpers.

Lessons Learned:

1) The ARB instructions suck. Plain and simple. It lacked enough pictures, detail, and the directions were written in Australian slang…great mate.

2) I do have to give props to the ARB instructions for directing me to rotate the winch gearbox 4 bolt holes so that when the winch is installed, it makes for easy access to the winch directional selector switch.

3) Make sure you have another person to help. It takes two guys to install this bumper if you don’t have a gantry or overhead lift, it would be tough to hoist a 200+ pound bumper gently into place without dinging your fenders.

4) The hardware with the kit was somewhat confusing. The directions didn’t clearly state how to complete a step. Most things were worded like: “Install indicators.” Heck, I even had some of the hardware not fit and some of it was missing.

Summary: All in all, I think the ARB is a great looking, well-built bumper but the product stops there. The instructions, hardware, etc pissed me off. I wouldn’t recommend buying or not buying it. To me it seems that a great welder and engineer got together and built this bumper. It then seems they gave the responsibility of writing the instructions and assembling the hardware to 3 illegals and a cleaning lady.

The Warn winch went together easily and straightforward. No problems there.

RobZ9132 likes this.
  18. Mar 23, 2012 at 4:33 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    Looks real good, you are really humping it!
    Let me ask, since we just went into summer last week , I have been scraping and getting under my truck, well with a maglite i need new struts.... and I would bet they are the org. ones to boot.. How do you think the coilovers ride? That was one of the mods I did not get to on the stang but wanted to. I understand its makes a world of differance in ride, control, and feel of the steering wheel.
    Doing leaf springs is a bitch huh? everyone things its easy till you have had a day of it. Ive done plenty on tag-a-long trailers, and mashed many fingers.
    We would just give up and burn and cut em off.!!!

19. Mar 23, 2012 at 6:02 PM
    TacomaJPP

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    03 4WD TRD XTD Cab
    The coilovers ride great. I'm really glad I did it.

20. Mar 24, 2012 at 5:06 AM
    JSFoster75

JSFoster75 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Bluff City, TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
    Too many to list.

Yeah, I went through something like that with my wife's car. Her car was hit in a parking lot, I filed it under my uninsured motorist but found out later there were witnesses. My insurance company did a ton of research, found out who she was, then made her insurance reimburse them and they sent me a check for my deductible as well.

For all the horror stories I've heard of with Geico, I must say, I was VERY impressed with their thoroughness and quick payment!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top