1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My truck vibrates when i brake???

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by TacoSauce116, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Mar 12, 2012 at 8:13 PM
    TacoSauce116

TacoSauce116 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    00' Tacoma Prerunna
    None..... yet.
    My 2000 tacoma has a shutter like vibration when i apply the brakes.
    It feels like its coming from the front. I can't feel it in the pedal but I definitely feel it in the steering wheel and the dash. It seems to be getting worse so its time to do something about it. I figured warped rotors but wanted to hear what you guys think? And whats the best thing to do?

2. Mar 12, 2012 at 8:15 PM
    LAoffroadin

LAoffroadin BURY ME WITH MY TACO!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2012 offroad 4x4
    ICON stage 5 coilers w/ ICON ucas, dakar leaf pack with Fox rears, k&n cai, LED cab light, raceline 16 inch wheels , toyo m/t 33",painted front yota emblem gloss white, retrofit headlights with mirrimoto 3 " lenses running the 6k headlights. Bhlm, bestopper, wet okole seat covers (max 4), weather tech mats,winch with piaa fogs. All pro apex front bumper. Sliders etc
    That is more than likely your brake rotors are warped... this i actually pretty common to people who use the brakes more often, sometimes this happens when you apply the brakes and hit a puddle of water, the hot -to-cold so quickly warps the rotor.

3. Mar 12, 2012 at 8:16 PM
    tacoman15

tacoman15 Boobies

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northeast Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD OR & 1985 SR5 4Runner
    Go get your brakes checked out ASAP. You may have started eating away at the rotors. So yes my first thought is that your brakes are causing the steering wheel vibration.

4. Mar 12, 2012 at 8:23 PM
    nfs257

nfs257 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    She gone
    This and also lots of high speed stop as posted above. Get the rotors turned at local auto parts store... Should be easiest and cheapest fix. Then if its still there start troubleshooting further...

5. Mar 12, 2012 at 8:52 PM
    TacomaJPP

TacomaJPP To secure peace, is to prepare for war

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    03 4WD TRD XTD Cab
    Snugtop Camper Brushguard
    I've never done it, but have had several friends swear by having the rotors turned on the vehicle. It is apparently a "truer" turn for the rotor. I think it has cost them about $70 per half of the vehicle.

Truthfully, I just paid $14 to have my wife's 2009 Camry rotors turned (yeah 2009, but you apparently overlooked the WIFE part) at NAPA and they seem fine. Plus, I can put virgin pads on virgin rotors...a thing of beauty.

6. Mar 12, 2012 at 9:00 PM
    Rdy2offrd88

Rdy2offrd88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    02 DC TRD
    Deckplate, CB w/ 4ft Firestick, Bedrug
    I'm having the same problem in my '02 DB Cab Prerunner. Getting new rotors and pads put on tomorrow. Hope this fixes the problem! Will report back with results.

7. Mar 12, 2012 at 9:04 PM
    TacomaJPP

TacomaJPP To secure peace, is to prepare for war

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    03 4WD TRD XTD Cab
    Snugtop Camper Brushguard
    FWIW, when I put new rotors on my Tacoma, I used the EBC slotted rotors and I hate them. I've had other friends with them and they love them.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EBC-USR7235

These things have warped like no other. I can't tie it to a single event, but over time they have become unbearable. I'll never own another set.

8. Mar 12, 2012 at 9:18 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Your rotors are warped, they may have been turned before (maybe a couple times) now you are working with a thinner contact surface for the pads, thus the now thinner rotor is waaay more likely to heat up & warp in all kinds of ways, had the same issue with my 2000...;)

9. Mar 12, 2012 at 10:47 PM
    TacoSauce116

TacoSauce116 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    00' Tacoma Prerunna
    None..... yet.
    To who ever said it could be the way the truck is being driven. I seriously doubt it. And the truck has had the vibration since I bought it last November and it seems to be getting worse. Maybe the last guy that owned it loved the brakes :confused:

Anyways, I've read all the replies and I appreciate them all. I think I'm just gunna buy some new rotors and pads. should I go OEM or does anybody have any suggestions for something better to stop this from happening again?

10. Mar 12, 2012 at 10:51 PM
    LAoffroadin

LAoffroadin BURY ME WITH MY TACO!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2012 offroad 4x4
    ICON stage 5 coilers w/ ICON ucas, dakar leaf pack with Fox rears, k&n cai, LED cab light, raceline 16 inch wheels , toyo m/t 33",painted front yota emblem gloss white, retrofit headlights with mirrimoto 3 " lenses running the 6k headlights. Bhlm, bestopper, wet okole seat covers (max 4), weather tech mats,winch with piaa fogs. All pro apex front bumper. Sliders etc
    OEM!!!! STAY AWAY FROM AFTERMARKET.... unless you get heavy duty...... 95% of aftermarket rotors are thinner, yes they runn colder and sometime looks better, they wear down wayyyy quicker

11. Mar 12, 2012 at 10:51 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

Get new rotors & HAVE THEM TURNED before you install, & get the upgraded life time ceramic pads....

12. Mar 12, 2012 at 10:57 PM
    x2468

x2468 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD 4wd V6 Xcab Sr5
    I just got brand new rotors. You're saying I should get them turned first?

13. Mar 12, 2012 at 11:41 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    This is what I'm saying, yes. I just do it so I know myself that they've been machined properly, you'd be amazed how many new "ready to go" rotors/drums are out of round...

Don't question your elders son.....:p:p:p

14. Mar 13, 2012 at 11:51 AM
    TacoSauce116

TacoSauce116 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    00' Tacoma Prerunna
    None..... yet.
    Okay so if I just have the old rotors turned I should still get some new pads right?

15. Mar 13, 2012 at 12:17 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x

As long as your rotors are within specs for turning, that with new pads & you're good to go..

16. Mar 13, 2012 at 1:04 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    Hi, now don't throw any stones at me, but if it were me, and I am not one to just throw money away, this time I would start over with all new on your truck. I have never liked turning rotors too much, and I would worry that with the vib problem you are having right now, that it would take off just alittle too much to be safe. I would just junk them and start fresh. And it will last for awhile. fyi, ALSO BLEED YOUR BRAKES. THIS IS THE TIME. so many people never do it and poor quality brake fluid can lead to hard stops, and will damage brake lines, ABS... and so on.
    And if you try it yourself, there are great step-by-step instructions here, and if you take your time, modern disc brakes are really not too hard.
    here is where I will get jumped on, unless you are driving a race car and have a crew to change them, don't ever buy slotted or drilled, OR THE COMBO period. they get hot, then they crack, then you are digging in asphalt.
    those brembos and pads are great....

17. Mar 13, 2012 at 1:21 PM
    Hillingdoner

Hillingdoner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    95 LX xtracab 3.4L 4x4 5spd
    140 amp Cadillac alternator, Audio system in progress, 4Runner map light mirror conversion, foot well lamp addition, buckets and console from 99 Tacoma regular cab, big three, tint
    While you have everything apart be sure to check your calipers to ensure you do not have a piston stuck. This will cause the pad to ride on the rotor as you are going down the road. Quick wear and builds up excess heat.

Be sure also to not let the caliper hang by the brake hose. When you remove it, keep tension off the brake hose and hang the caliper out of the way SECURELY. Don't just try to prop it where it might jar loose and fall. This can damage the hose and cause you problems. I've used anything from bent up coat hangers to small bungee cords or small tie down type straps. You just want to make sure that it is held well.

Also, when you have the caliper out be sure to clean up the inner ends where the pad sits on the outside. Hard to explain, but if you look at the caliper with it installed on the truck, the slot where the pads slide in. Each end of that.

As far as turning the rotors. Had this done on many a car. The rotor should have the minimum safe turnable thickness on it. Take them to a place that does the work often. I'm more inclined to shy away from general counter help type places as they may not do the job right. Cost is really inexpensive to have done. First thing they will do is measure the rotors to ensure they are safe to turn. I always have them remeasure them for me upon pick up so we all know they are within spec.

18. Mar 13, 2012 at 4:19 PM
    TacoSauce116

TacoSauce116 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    00' Tacoma Prerunna
    None..... yet.
    Ok so OEM rotors with Hawk LTS brake pads is the best combo?

19. Mar 13, 2012 at 7:12 PM
    Rdy2offrd88

Rdy2offrd88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    02 DC TRD
    Deckplate, CB w/ 4ft Firestick, Bedrug
    Ended up getting new OEM rotors today after have the vibs. Drives perfect now with no vibs at all. As for getting new vs. getting your rotors turned I would go ahead and go with some brand new rotors either OEM's or Brembos. Just me .02

20. Mar 13, 2012 at 7:19 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    and give them a few miles to "set" either new or turned and they should be good.

Products Discussed in

To Top