1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sound from front driver wheel- help

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Stew, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Mar 20, 2012 at 3:35 PM
    Stew

Stew [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stew
    Greenville, NC
    Vehicle:
    White 04 Single Cab 2.7 4x4
    2.5in ^, debadged, fog light mod, deck plate, line-x, tool box
    So I just replaced my brakes which were pretty much down to the backing and I've driven about 200 miles. Now I've got a noise coming from my driver front and I'm not sure what it is, heres the story.

10pm 3 nights ago I'm driving back from some ice cream with the gf and hear something hit my truck that sounded like it was thrown up from the road. Sounded solid so I stop to see if maybe a lug came loose and flew out, find nothing no signs of anything breaking ride home hear nothing the rest of the way.

Next day for lunch I ride across the street to Cook Out and while I'm pulling up in line I hear something that sounds like rubbing metal and at a certain point in the rotation sounds like grinding or cracking and think oh shit!

I got home and looked it over and I don't see anything out of place nothing broken no abnormal fluids anywhere I'm stumped.

I've narrowed it to this- When driving in a straight line I get the noise and it sounds nasty scrubbing then a crack/pop at some point in the rotation. If I depress the brakes moderately it stops even though I'm still moving. Turning hard left slightly decreases the noise, turning hard right no noise at all and engaging 4hi decreases the noise.

My truck is an 04 with 105,000 miles spacers and 31's cv's are at an angle which is significant but not the worst I've seen.

I did use the search feature and what I'm hearing is if it happens when you turn its cv which is throwing me off because turning makes mine better or disappear its the straight line that does it most. Bearings? I thought about that maybe one flew out and hit the truck but they are pretty sealed up so I'm second guessing it.

Thanks for your help

2. Mar 20, 2012 at 3:43 PM
    Skadumz

Skadumz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Vehicle:
    2008 tacoma dual cab, long bed, 4x4, TRD Spor
    3" lift 265/70/17 nitto, Grille Craft Grille, Tinted windows, 17x9 Moto Metals Matte Black, Carrier barring drop
    I am not much of a mechanic.. but a couple of things to think about maybe rule some things out. if you jack up the front of the truck and try to move the tire up and down and no play then you can rule out wheel bearing. there are a lot of us having problems with the front diff bearing. but there is now crack pop noise. did you bend the dust bracket when you did the brakes? just some things...:confused:

3. Mar 20, 2012 at 3:54 PM
    Stew

Member:
    First Name:
    Stew
    Greenville, NC
    Vehicle:
    Dont think I bent the dust cover as I didn't touch it brakes were pretty straight forward and easy quick on and off.

I haven't jacked it up as my jack is at a buddies 10 miles away and I'm worried about driving it he's supposed to bring it by though but I can rock the truck about 1 inch but all wheels are moving the same.

4. Mar 20, 2012 at 9:54 PM
    TacoBran

TacoBran You're Unique, Just Like Everyone Else

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    03 Double Cab 4x4 TRD SOLD, 02 Double Cab Pre-Runner
    Icon coilovers, TC UCA, icon shocks w/resi's, deaver leafs - 4x4 swap in progress
    Is it like a light metal sound? (dust shield) or a heavy thud metal type sound? Take the tire off and inspect everything. Give you a better idea of what's going on under there. Did you tighten your lugs?

5. Mar 21, 2012 at 5:00 AM
    Stew

Member:
    First Name:
    Stew
    Greenville, NC
    Vehicle:
    I cant really tell the difference in the heavy or light, its a solid metal sound. Yea I tightened the lugs but after I bought it the first time I went to loosen them one fell off in my hand after 1/4 turn so they scare me. But I've checked them twice because of the worry they are still tight.

6. Mar 21, 2012 at 5:13 AM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    My 2000 made a noise like that. I tore it apart and didn't find anything, wheel was solid when I would shake it. Tore it all the way down and took the cv out of the hub and everything. I didn't find anything, it all looked good. Finally took it in and it was the drivers side wheel bearing. I thought the same about the dust shield and bent it back but the noise was still there. Ended up costing me $700 for new wheel bearing and hub.

7. Mar 21, 2012 at 6:51 AM
    TacoBran

TacoBran You're Unique, Just Like Everyone Else

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    03 Double Cab 4x4 TRD SOLD, 02 Double Cab Pre-Runner
    Icon coilovers, TC UCA, icon shocks w/resi's, deaver leafs - 4x4 swap in progress
    Are you running spacers? I'd tear into it and see if you can find anything. Otherwise like Medic said wheel bearing :(

8. Mar 21, 2012 at 8:11 AM
    Stew

Member:
    First Name:
    Stew
    Greenville, NC
    Vehicle:
    no spacers, guess I'll have to tear it apart. I saw a bearing for sale in the fs section I might have to pick that up just in case

Products Discussed in

To Top