1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Maintenance Question 04 3.4 Liter

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 04TacomaGuy, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Mar 23, 2012 at 7:49 AM
    04TacomaGuy

04TacomaGuy [OP] Member

Member:
    Hi Guys

I have an 04 3.4 Extended Cab V6 4x4 Auto that I bought in 2005 as a Certified Used From the Dealer. I'm currently at about 85K. I have run synthetic since I bought it with most services down at the local Jiffy Lube. I've replaced tires, battery and brakes ( front ) and air filters as well. I've started reading on here about the maintenance for it with 90K coming up.

From what I can see the timing belt needs to be done and that people remomend doing the water pump at the same time. I'll be planning to do that soon. I'm running the original accessory belts so I guess I can just have those replaced at the same time with out additional labor cost.

If I was reading the maintenance intervals correctly, I am under the impression that I should have replaced fluids in the transmission , differential and transfer case at 30K and 60K . Is that correct ?

As I was on here reading about the plugs they are also done at 30K intervals ?

All in all my truck runs very smooth , just want to make sure I get some over due maintenance taken care off. Anything else I am missing ?

Thanks in advance

2. Mar 23, 2012 at 7:55 AM
    seksilumpia

seksilumpia Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    El Dorado Hills
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport DCSB
    Performance mods: TRD CAI, AFE throttle body spacer, Doug Thorley headers, TRD exhaust. Cosmetic mods: HID 10k head+3k fog lights, BHLM, T-rex 2 eyelids, billet grill (5 piece), 20% front window tint, 4% back window tint, tinted 3rd brake light, altezza tail lights, LED license plate lights, door skid protectors, slotted drilled rotors,plasti dip rims,painted rotor and drums. Interior mods: TRD seat covers, LED map and dome lights, 2 kicker 10' w/ 500 watt amp, pioneer door speakers,and Pioneer AVIC X930BT.
    that sounds about right. Water pump,timing belt,v belt..While you are there,you might as well change out some other things that youre going to be touching anyways, thermostat and valve covers. Its going to be expensive but in the long run cheaper from a labor stand point. The transmission is in fact every 60k and the lsd is recommended every 30 k. I did both these services done at 93k but there was no real harm done. Check out the write ups on here for transmission and lsd,fairly easy (like an oild change almost) and will save you at least 200 doing it yourself.Hope that helped,i cant think of anything else,just woke up:D

3. Mar 23, 2012 at 7:58 AM
    Inverno4

Inverno4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 DC Off-Road MT
    Yea change the front and rear diffs, transfer, and transmission fluids. The specs for those are in the manual, 75W-90 gear oil. If you do plugs, stick with the stock NGK and/or Denso ones with dual ground electrodes. They are around $2 to $3 each. You also want to clean your throttle body and mass air flow sensor (MAF). Here is a good write-up on some maintenance:

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/

4. Mar 23, 2012 at 10:35 AM
    04TacomaGuy

04TacomaGuy [OP] Member

Member:
    Just out of curiousity what am I look at as far as cost for something like a waterpump / timeing belt / accessory belt replacement. I thought I saw in some of my searches it was approx $500 or so ?

Thanks

5. Mar 23, 2012 at 11:31 AM
    Hillingdoner

Hillingdoner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    95 LX xtracab 3.4L 4x4 5spd
    140 amp Cadillac alternator, Audio system in progress, 4Runner map light mirror conversion, foot well lamp addition, buckets and console from 99 Tacoma regular cab, big three, tint
    Do the MAF (do not touch inside it, read the posts on cleaning proceedures) and throttle body yourself. Just a bit of work (simple) and couple of cans of cleaner. Be sure to disconnect the battery first.

Cost for the waterpump and timing belt seems to vary by area. Here it is $600-650 last I checked. I've seen quotes from other areas in the $450 up range. Look for coupons as well that might save you a bit if you go dealer route.

Keep in mind that most quotes will be just for the basic change of the waterpump and timing belt. If your truck needs seals, pulleys etc. then the price goes up accordingly.

Not mentioned yet that I saw, but while they are doing the work may as well put new hoses on. Just preventative maintenance as hoses wear from the inside out.

Cheers

6. Mar 23, 2012 at 2:35 PM
    TacomaJPP

TacomaJPP To secure peace, is to prepare for war

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    03 4WD TRD XTD Cab
    Snugtop Camper Brushguard
    When I replaced my water pump and timing belt, I also replaced my accessory belts, both of my radiator hoses (upper and lower), and thermostat. Don't forget to test your thermostat by placing it in hot water (on your stove) and checking to see when it opens.

7. Mar 25, 2012 at 6:53 AM
    04TacomaGuy

04TacomaGuy [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks for the tips guys. When Hillingdoner mentions seals are their specific ones that he is refering to ? Camshaft seals ?

Products Discussed in

To Top