1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Supercharger gone bad???

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by hillinsan, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Mar 24, 2012 at 7:16 PM
    hillinsan

hillinsan [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Beavercreek,OR
    Vehicle:
    tacoma 4wd TRD
    I have a 2001 Tacoma trd 4x4, It has the TRD supercharger add-on. Im assuming the first owner put it on him self. My engine light is on and truck running crappy. Autozone ran a diagnostic test and said it was the knock sensor code i think p0330 i think. Ive notices some noise coming from the inside of the supercharger. Could it be that my supercharger is going bad and was misdiagnoste by the autozone software? i found a stock intake manifold brand new on Craigslist, thinking about buying it to replace the supercharger when I take it to the shop. What do you think? Any feed bad is appreciated.

2. Mar 25, 2012 at 7:03 AM
    RacerP

RacerP Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4
    7th Injector kit, Trans Cooler, Donohoe c/o's, Billy's in the rear, FJ Cruiser Trail Team SE wheels.
    Couple of things....

Are you running 93 octane?

Are you running the Iridium plugs with it?

The nose drive on these things does go bad and there is a replacement nose drive kit available from Toyota. The bearing is usually the problem. The kit is a little over $200 and can be installed with the S/C still on the truck.

They are also know for running rich, burned out my cats with the same
    problem.

URDUSA.com has an electronic ignition and injector calibrator, plug-in deal to remap everything, that would certainly help too.

Hope this helps.

3. Mar 25, 2012 at 7:21 AM
    atvlifestyle

atvlifestyle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    01 trd tacoma
    supercharged with MCM front kit
    which supercharger do you have (grey or black)? What other performance mods are on the truck?

4. Mar 25, 2012 at 10:15 AM
    hillinsan

Member:
    Beavercreek,OR
    Vehicle:
    tacoma 4wd TRD
    The supercharger is black, no I haven't been running supreme gas in it latelly. The only other thing I can see that has been done to this truck is a K&N filter. I read online that it is normal for the supercharger to make a little rattle at Idle. I have a feeling it might just be the knock sensor. Should I but the stock intake manifold? its only 60 Bucks?

5. Mar 25, 2012 at 11:27 AM
    RacerP

RacerP Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4
    7th Injector kit, Trans Cooler, Donohoe c/o's, Billy's in the rear, FJ Cruiser Trail Team SE wheels.
    You gotta run 93 octane with the S/C or it will ping!

6. Mar 25, 2012 at 2:42 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    If the SC is going bad and making noise, this will be interpreted by the knock sensor as a knock and the ECU will respond accordingly.

It's not that the Autozone drone misdiagnosed it... he just read what the ECU thinks is wrong (and the ECU doesn't know about the SC).
    You can trigger a timing retard through the knock sensor by banging on the engine block with a hammer... do it long enough and the ECU will throw a code indicating a problem with the knock sensor.

A CEL and code doesn't always mean that the SENSOR is bad... we've been somewhat spoiled by common issues with O2 and MAF sensors actually being problems with the sensor, but the sensor is not always the problem.
    Sometimes the sensor is doing it's job and reporting a problem that needs to be corrected.

7. Mar 26, 2012 at 10:18 AM
    hillinsan

Member:
    Beavercreek,OR
    Vehicle:
    tacoma 4wd TRD
    I found a stock intake manifold for 60 bucks brand new on cl i might just buy it and swap out the supercharger. my truck goes into the shop tomorrow hopefully. Not driving it until i get fixed. the truck has 140,000 miles on it, just put a flowmaster on it and bilstien 5100's all around with a 3 inch lift. I wasnt expecting this problem.:(before this whole engine light coming on I noticed a high gear low rpm "knock" or "rattle" you might call it. it would go away as soon as the automatic tran shifted as I accelerated.... hope it goes well, Thanks for all the feed back guys!! Your awsome!!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top