Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

abs problem

Old 03-25-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
coganhagen01 is on a distinguished road

coganhagen01's Tacoma Gallery
abs problem

I have 2000 model tacoma the abs light is on. Sometimes going down road light will go out and press pedal and abs goes crazy then light comes on. I checked codes with scanner it has codes 31-32-44. Checked resistance in senors it checked out ok.looked at wires looked ok. Tryed to erase code stays on and disconnect battery stays on. I dont think both abs sensors would be bad. And the code 44 is deceleration senor . Does anyone know what is wrong with it or where to check or what to check to find out for sure! Maybe the abs ecu. Thanks for help.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
I can't say this would apply to the tacoma but years ago when I got my first abs brake car, after a few years, after a very wet winter, and my ignorance, my ABS light came one morning and I freaked and went to the stealership..stupid.. after several hundred dollars were lifted from my wallet the stealership told me its the brake fluid,more money, we flushed it for you. since then its something I don't miss.
not saying you have not flushed them, its just important to do it before the fluid get really black, since brake fluid absorbs the moisture and dirt that builds up in the brake lines and that is what can set off the ABS sensor.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
To secure peace, is to prepare for war
TacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacomaJPP's Tacoma Gallery
I tend to agree with RobertG.

Brake fluid is hygroscropic (absorbs moisture) and this tends to be the death of brake system components. I flush my fluid every other year. Start cheap and try that.

Have you ever flushed yours? What color is your brake fluid?
Old 03-26-2012, 03:43 AM   #4

abs

Its looks reasonable clean. I will put that on my list to check.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:48 AM   #5

abs

On my sensor isnt in contact with fluid. It reads the teeth on the cv axle or rotor i havent took it off yet to see whereor it is attached to , but itu is all wiring to abs ecu.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:13 AM   #6
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
The biggest problem with ABS is having it, but its just-so-fucking-stupid

I mean unless you live on a glacier where almost all your stops/braking result in multiple 360 degree spin-outs.. disable it .. (not really, I would do it but wouldn't advise anyone else to ) I mean who says " I want a brake system that refuses to stop me until I hit something."

Sorry OP I don't have an answer, just saw ABS & had to rant.......thnx...
Old 03-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #7
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
There's a connector for the sensor mounted to the top of the frame right behind the fender liner for your sensors... just follow the wires. Mine were pretty dirty when I changed my sensors, that could be a culprit.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #8

abs

Thanks mowtaco i will check that. On passenger side rite by washer bottle?
Old 03-26-2012, 11:46 AM   #9
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Check the tone wheel for each wheel speed sensor for lost teeth and that they are solidly mounted. A loose tone wheel will cause intermittant problems. Check the wiring for chafing and grounds. Make sure the sensor and tone wheel are free from metallic gunk.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #10
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coganhagen01 View Post
Thanks mowtaco i will check that. On passenger side rite by washer bottle?
It's pretty much straight behind the wheel mounted to the top of the frame on both sides. You have to un-button the fender liner to get to it. It's gray in color.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #11

abs

Has anyone tested a deceleration sensor before i dont think im doing it rite?
Old 05-30-2012, 05:41 PM   #12

Replaced abs pump ecu from junk yard. Stil didn't fix abs light. Same codes. Idk what to do please help!!!
Old 05-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #13
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Start checking the wiring for faults.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:01 PM   #14

Changing parts as a method of troubleshooting is a very expensive.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:43 AM   #15

Yes sir i know. Thats why i did tests on Mitchell for problem and it checked out to say abs pump ecu wss bad. I tested decel sensor and front spend sensors, checked toner wheels. Yes i believe it is in wiring but don't know where.got a wiring diagram from Mitchell but i feel like it a 100% true. I see tons of people with same problem but dont know how to fix. Thats why i been trying to get help on here so me and other people dont waste our money and solve the problem. Thanks
Old 05-31-2012, 05:39 AM   #16

I didn't see any posts about what you had tested. I Ass-u-me-d