Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Buying a Tacoma

Old 03-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #1
TacoTuck is on a distinguished road

TacoTuck's Tacoma Gallery
Buying a Tacoma

We are looking to buy a 1st Gen. Tacoma . We have been looking for several months and have test drove nearly 15 different tacomas, waiting for the perfect one that is in our budget. To us, the 2001-2004 tacomas drove smoother and better than any other tacomas (95-00) we have test drove but our budget hasn't allowed for us to buy an 01-04.

We found a Tacoma and it exactly what we have been looking for but it is slightly out of our price range.

Specs.

Tacoma Xtra cab
Sr5
TRD
4x4
Silver
Matching canopy
OME 1.75" lift ( I believe)
128k miles
Bedliner
Have All maintenance records
Timing belt done
Clean truck with no dings only a few scratches
Interior is like new
Stock radio
Moonroof

Needs:
Tires (probably next fall)
Nothing else.

What is this worth?

We are willing to pay a fair price for it.

What do you think?
Old 03-31-2012, 07:03 AM   #2
JAJI4 is on a distinguished road

JAJI4's Tacoma Gallery
Have you tried KBB?
Old 03-31-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
Cvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Cory
Cvd2312's Tacoma Gallery
KBB is pretty much worthless when it comes to Tacoma's. They typically sell for well above blue book value.

They best way to guage a fair price is to check AutoTrader and CraigsList for similar trucks in your area. They seem to yield different prices in different parts of the country. If you've been looking at Tacoma's for a few months, you should have a better idea than we do at what they're going for in your area.

Good luck!
Old 03-31-2012, 12:59 PM   #4

I've tried KBB but it is always much lower than what these tacomas are going for. This truck books at like $9k or so. I have not been searching for 01-04' much because they are out of my budget but I think I am willing to pay more for a nicer truck. I believe this truck is offered to me at a fair price so we will see. I know It's not smoking deal but probably worth the price.

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Try to pay around blue book or close to . Don't fall for the " it's a Toyota " mark up .
Old 03-31-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
bicklebok has a spectacular aura aboutbicklebok has a spectacular aura aboutbicklebok has a spectacular aura about
Name: Ronnie
bicklebok's Tacoma Gallery
i bought a 2000 tacoma about 6 months ago. I did a lot of searching. Everyone I liked sold above book value. If it was in decent shape, it sold pretty fast. Hope this helps you.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Try to pay around blue book or close to . Don't fall for the " it's a Toyota " mark up .

These tacomas sell very quickly if they are in good condition in my area. This truck has all the options that we are looking for and if it would be for sale at KBB price, it would be flagged in minutes because it would be "to good to be true".

Thanks for all your thoughts guys. Much appreciated.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #8
taco tuesday
squashroll is on a distinguished road

squashroll's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvd2312 View Post
KBB is pretty much worthless when it comes to Tacoma's. They typically sell for well above blue book value.

They best way to guage a fair price is to check AutoTrader and CraigsList for similar trucks in your area. They seem to yield different prices in different parts of the country. If you've been looking at Tacoma's for a few months, you should have a better idea than we do at what they're going for in your area.

Good luck!

Kelly Blue Book is the authority on auto value. Their values are not anecdotal wag's. They come from actual reported sales in your area, taking multitudes of factors into account. The asking prices you see on Craigslist aren't the final negotiated amounts. Folks are overly optimistic about the value of their vehicles; and they often leave wiggle room in the asking price, because EVERYONE offers less.
To be clear: asking price does not necessarily equal actual worth.
Of course there are exceptions, like the modded trucks found in this forum. But even with those KBB is a good place to start--
Old 04-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #9
BVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to behold
BVCOTaco's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ Agreed. The truck I bought booked for about $8000 (they were asking $8500), I pointed out some things that were wrong with it and it was a little rough because it was used as a work truck. I offered them $6800 until I found out the elocker was not working. Ended up paying $6200!

The deals are out there, just be patient and you will find one in your price range.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #10
doc1911 is on a distinguished road
Army:
doc1911's Tacoma Gallery
Where are you located? If you are willing to ship and buy unseen that might open your options
Old 04-06-2012, 06:55 AM   #11

Thanks for all the helpful info guys. We made an offer and we made a deal and we are confident with our decision. It IS the cleanest tacoma we have looked at and all services and maintanence is up to date.

I am very excited as this is our first Tacoma.

Thanks again guys.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #12
taco tuesday

what did you end up with?
Old 04-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #13
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
What the hell dude...

Where are the PICTURES?!?!

Old 04-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #14

I went to the bank yesterday and I am trying to set up an appointment for tomorrow to go pick it up. I will get pictures as soon as I can.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:48 AM   #15
Cvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Cvd2312's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by squashroll View Post

Kelly Blue Book is the authority on auto value. Their values are not anecdotal wag's. They come from actual reported sales in your area, taking multitudes of factors into account. The asking prices you see on Craigslist aren't the final negotiated amounts. Folks are overly optimistic about the value of their vehicles; and they often leave wiggle room in the asking price, because EVERYONE offers less.
To be clear: asking price does not necessarily equal actual worth.
Of course there are exceptions, like the modded trucks found in this forum. But even with those KBB is a good place to start--
You are wrong, Toyota's are different.

I just recently sold my 1992 Toyota xtra-cab 4x4 pickup with a 22re for $5,500. It blue books at $3,200.

When I was buying my Tacoma, I searched for months and negotiated on price multiple times. Every one was well above blue book, even after coming down from asking price.

A friend of mine just went through the same thing with a 2001 4runner. Well above blue book.

NADA guides are closer.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #16

Quote:

I just recently sold my 1992 Toyota xtra-cab 4x4 pickup with a 22re for $5,500. It blue books at $3,200.

When I was buying my Tacoma, I searched for months and negotiated on price multiple times. Every one was well above blue book, even after coming down from asking price.

A friend of mine just went through the same thing with a 2001 4runner. Well above blue book.

NADA guides are closer.

I agree, we have searched for months, made some offers and finally found a solid truck at a price that is fairly reasonable for the market. Tacomas in our area go fast, luckily the one I am buying was taken off the market and I was able to contact him after his ad expired!
Old 04-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #17
taco tuesday

Quote:
Attention KBB: Cvd2312 knows more about your business than you do. How could they not see that "Toyota's are different"? Surely they would compensate you handsomely for your insightful consulting services.

Quote:
Perhaps your truck was in exceptional shape with recent maintenance boosting value? (I just had the clutch replaced, these are new tires, I trained my rhesus monkey to wax it every Saturday afternoon)
Also which blue book value are you siting, excellent, fair, trade-in, retail? When did you blue book it? More importantly, if KBB is so wrong, why did you blue book it?

Quote:
So your truck and one friend's, whilst KBB tracks tens of thousands?

Quote:
NADA guides are closer.
According to whom?

Your handful of anecdotal examples and casual research makes you an authority on used vehicle values.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #18
Cvd2312's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by squashroll View Post
Attention KBB: Cvd2312 knows more about your business than you do. How could they not see that "Toyota's are different"? Surely they would compensate you handsomely for your insightful consulting services.

Perhaps your truck was in exceptional shape with recent maintenance boosting value? (I just had the clutch replaced, these are new tires, I trained my rhesus monkey to wax it every Saturday afternoon)
Also which blue book value are you siting, excellent, fair, trade-in, retail? When did you blue book it? More importantly, if KBB is so wrong, why did you blue book it?

So your truck and one friend's, whilst KBB tracks tens of thousands?

According to whom?

Your handful of anecdotal examples and casual research makes you an authority on used vehicle values.
I just blue-booked my old Toyota truck right before I replied to you on here yesterday... and it was the highest BB value given, excellent retail value. Did I mention the truck had over 200k miles on it? I had multiple calls within an hour, and sold it the same day.

Giving your opinion is fine, but you don't have to be a d-bag about it.

Many people on here will agree that Toyota's, in many areas of the country, typically sell for well above Kelley Blue Book value.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #19
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think it is a case of KBB being right or wrong. The book value is generally a good place to start. I think people are willing to pay a premium on 1st gens due to them being rare and hard to find. It does not matter what KBB or NADA says, I will buy a vehicle for whatever price I think is fair, whether that is above or below KBB.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #20
taco tuesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffirg View Post
I don't think it is a case of KBB being right or wrong. The book value is generally a good place to start. I think people are willing to pay a premium on 1st gens due to them being rare and hard to find. It does not matter what KBB or NADA says, I will buy a vehicle for whatever price I think is fair, whether that is above or below KBB.
good points--