Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

LEAF spring help!

Old 04-06-2012, 11:48 PM   #41
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
MAN, HAVE YOU BEEN DRIVING TO CHARLOTTE, AND PICKING UP MY MOTHER AND HER SISTER?!?

sorry, family humor, but I have seen worn out leaf springs before but that is about the worst i have seen.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:15 AM   #42
WV, VA, NC places i roam in the Yota
Jsimp will become famous soon enough

Name: Justin
Jsimp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertgeejr1 View Post
MAN, HAVE YOU BEEN DRIVING TO CHARLOTTE, AND PICKING UP MY MOTHER AND HER SISTER?!?

sorry, family humor, but I have seen worn out leaf springs before but that is about the worst i have seen.
Haha your just
Old 04-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #43
radcat692000 is a jewel in the roughradcat692000 is a jewel in the roughradcat692000 is a jewel in the roughradcat692000 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Rob
radcat692000's Tacoma Gallery
looked at mine today b/c suspension lift is about to go on and sure enough there lazy, but they still have the smile shape to them somewhat, but you can tell there hurting,,,i got the aal toytec (long version) hope it puts me halfway close to leveling truck out when front is done.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:31 PM   #45
GT5050 is on a distinguished road
GT5050's Tacoma Gallery
Just curious - I'm a relatively new owner of a 2004 DC Prerunner and going through these forums has been a huge help - but on the topic of leafs, my truck is fairly low mileage but do the leaf springs go flat with age or is it on higher mileage trucks? And how flat is dead?On mine the leafs do look fairly flat - I'd hesitate to say a negative arch but still I'm not sure what they should look like, the only reference I have is my truck. So are the stock leafs fairly flat from the start or do they have a big positive arch?
Old 04-10-2012, 09:51 PM   #47
GT5050's Tacoma Gallery
I'll post some up, but I'm away from my truck for a couple of days. In the meantime, here's a pic of the truck for ride height reference, and though this doesn't show much there doesn't seem to be any "sag" from this perspective based on other trucks I see:

Old 04-12-2012, 04:47 PM   #48
Skadumz is on a distinguished road

Marines:
Skadumz's Tacoma Gallery
It seems most of your guys have a 1St GEN. But I dont think this matters in my question. I have an AAL and my passenger side one keeps turning out ward. the U bolts are tight. It is very frustrating it take a 3lbs sledge to get straight and when it is out it sweeks.. And ideas on keeping straight??
Old 04-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #49
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skadumz View Post
It seems most of your guys have a 1St GEN. But I dont think this matters in my question. I have an AAL and my passenger side one keeps turning out ward. the U bolts are tight. It is very frustrating it take a 3lbs sledge to get straight and when it is out it sweeks.. And ideas on keeping straight??

Sounds like you didn't get the axle center pin tight enough..

If these springs are settled on the overload like this with no weight they are indeed shot....
Old 04-12-2012, 09:14 PM   #50
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
i was hauling rock
HA! I was gonna say...theres no spring going to bring those back
Old 04-12-2012, 10:54 PM   #51
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
*COUGH COUGH*

Check out wheelers 5 pack goup buy in sig

*COUGH COUGH*
Old 04-13-2012, 09:57 AM   #52
GT5050's Tacoma Gallery
Here is the way mine look. Slight negative arch but not riding on the overload leafs. The clamp on there is my "axle wrap" mod.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:03 AM   #53
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT5050 View Post
Here is the way mine look. Slight negative arch but not riding on the overload leafs. The clamp on there is my "axle wrap" mod.

Probably a pretty firm ride being clamped to that overload......

Yeah, you've got some neg. ARC but I think a couple good springs would bring your leafs back to life....
Old 04-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #55
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
hey don't feel bad! I joked too soon about your worn out leafs, I just found out I have a broken leaf that had a (as we call it in the south) a half-ass fixed...... so I need to review my travel plans (beach money) and I think throw my hat in the group buy. don't want to take a chance with this even though it has been this way for awhile.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #56
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertgeejr1 View Post
hey don't feel bad! I joked too soon about your worn out leafs, I just found out I have a broken leaf that had a (as we call it in the south) a half-ass fixed...... so I need to review my travel plans (beach money) and I think throw my hat in the group buy. don't want to take a chance with this even though it has been this way for awhile.

Can you define a broken leaf with a half-ass'd fix ??.. just curious....
Old 04-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #57
GT5050's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Probably a pretty firm ride being clamped to that overload......

Yeah, you've got some neg. ARC but I think a couple good springs would bring your leafs back to life....
Actually, the clamps make the ride just right, not firm at all. And for the most part they get rid of the "axle wrap". So are add a leafs a good solution then for sagging springs? And is there any harm in running the tired leafs as is? For right now, not ready to plunk down 400+ for a new set of leafs...
Old 04-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #58
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Actually, the clamps make the ride just right, not firm at all. And for the most part they get rid of the "axle wrap". So are add a leafs a good solution then for sagging springs? And is there any harm in running the tired leafs as is? For right now, not ready to plunk down 400+ for a new set of leafs...

Oh , I def. hear ya on the $$$$$$$$$ & despite what you may hear that Pro Comp is a pretty stout piece of metal., we threw their AAL under a 2nd gen. leafpack & got great results...
Old 04-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #59
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

how can you not be riding on the overload leaf if the overload leaf is clamped to the rest of the pack like that

Those leafs look pretty negative.

My leafs are flat, with the drivers side a bit negative due to the increased weight on that side (with a good bit of taco lean coming with it)

Will be replacing My leafs with wheelers 5 packs SOON!!
Old 04-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #60
GT5050's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
how can you not be riding on the overload leaf if the overload leaf is clamped to the rest of the pack like that

Those leafs look pretty negative.

My leafs are flat, with the drivers side a bit negative due to the increased weight on that side (with a good bit of taco lean coming with it)

Will be replacing My leafs with wheelers 5 packs SOON!!
I should have phrased a little differently. It's not completely riding on the overload leaf - I think it's pretty obvious in the picture that it would take more sag to completely sit on the overload leaf. Contrary to what it may look like, the clamp firmed up the ride just enough to take out any amount of "floaty" feeling, and it pretty much killed the axle wrap situation that stock leafs apparently are known for. But a more permanent solution will be in order at some point, just don't know how much I need to rush things. It rides well and works fine for now.