Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bilstein 5100's with Coil over or Rancho Quicklift?

Old 04-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
Toyota Addict
Trowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Trowbocop's Tacoma Gallery
Bilstein 5100's with Coil over or Rancho Quicklift?

I just got my 03 Tacoma, and I'm looking to level the front out to clear larger tires.

I'm looking at either the Billy 5100s with the ToyTec coilover kit, or the Rancho Quicklift Leveling Strut kit.

Anybody have opinions about this? I know the Billy option will be about 200 more for the parts, and has adjustable options...but I'm still undecided.

Also- thinking about Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs- 285. What do you all think??

I've got ~89k miles, and looking to throw on the leveling kit and new tires when my current tires wear out at 100k miles. So I have a bit of time to decide
Old 04-03-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
Billies
Old 04-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Billies with Toytec.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
Formally afroman5015
bellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31B 1132 MP Co.
bellassaiw10's Tacoma Gallery
Don't go Rancho
Old 04-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
5100s for sure. Never crapchos.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #6
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
everyone has said what needs to be said.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:42 PM   #7
Toyota Addict
Trowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks for all the input guys! I'm definitely goin Billys. Can't wait for 100k!

Thinking in a while if I still need some extra clearance, toytec aal in the rears.

A shop in Ft. Collins, CO was saying they just about ALWAYS do blocks in the rear. I know aal adds a bit of rigidity, but I think I'll be cool with that.

Anyone have opinions for blocks or aal or even shackles?
Old 04-08-2012, 04:50 PM   #8
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowbocop View Post
Thanks for all the input guys! I'm definitely goin Billys. Can't wait for 100k!

Thinking in a while if I still need some extra clearance, toytec aal in the rears.

A shop in Ft. Collins, CO was saying they just about ALWAYS do blocks in the rear. I know aal adds a bit of rigidity, but I think I'll be cool with that.

Anyone have opinions for blocks or aal or even shackles?
Someone eles recently posted why blocks suck. Had a broken leaf at the block. Blocks are also not good with axle wrap. Get the aal, adds a good stiffness. I havent heard anything bad about shackles.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:44 PM   #10
Toyota Addict

@TrdSurgie, I saw that as well. Also saw that with shackles you have to cut or re-route your exhaust so it doesn't blast the leafs.

@Blackdawg- apparently they are rad at hooking mall rats up with "crawlers" haha.

I'm definitely doing aal.

Now my last question...

Will I have to re-gear my shi* if I lift around 2-3" and get 31's or 32's- hell maybe even 33's.

I guess one more question as well...

Do you think it's necessary for new UCA's in my situation?? I didn't see anything in your build Blackdawg about you getting any...
Old 04-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #11
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
I will be getting some, but not till later with some new LCAs too im going with a LT front end.

UCAs don't benefit us as much with a 3'' lift. Our trucks can still be aligned just fine without them unlike 2nd gens.

It also won't benifit you cause you don't have extended travel shocks. Just Billies which would take full use of the extra travel the UCAs offer.

If you got extended travel Coilovers and UCAs, then you'd have what we call a Mid Travel setup. They are a great way to go really, but the coilovers will run ya anywere from 600-1200 bucks lol

so for you..i would save the money for now until you either want LT or Mid travel set up.

as for the gearing, you don't have to at all for 31s or 32s. Now, for 33s, alot of ppl do. Usually to 4.56s or 4.88s. I am still running stock 4.10 gears on my 33s and don't mind at all. granted its not quite as peppy as before, but i don't even notice anymore. on 33s, you will need a 3'' lift, and be ready to cut and beat your trucks wheel wells in.

a 2-3'' lift with some 32s is a great combo really. not to hard on the mpgs and still makes a very capable truck.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:08 PM   #12
Toyota Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post

so for you..i would save the money for now until you either want LT or Mid travel set up.

a 2-3'' lift with some 32s is a great combo really. not to hard on the mpgs and still makes a very capable truck.
Will I be able to do this in stages?

I'm thinking this will be my setup very soon: 32" Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs and the billy's up front set just high enough to keep the stock rear suspension looking level.

But in time when I save up more $$ grab new longer billy's (5125's) for the back as well as the aal. I also plan to extend the front CO's to make it level again.

Will I be able to ride the 32's with my rear suspension stock?
Old 04-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #14
Toyota Addict

Sweet- Just graduated from University of Utah and am on a fat budget so I can't just dump 3500+ in at once.. and I REALLY want to get moving on this project!

My rear is still at a good rake- I'll take a pic tmrw when it's light, but I'll add one in a sec that you can kind of tell the difference of height with front and rear wheels to fenders
Old 04-08-2012, 08:34 PM   #15
Swerve for nothing
saundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
saundern's Tacoma Gallery
see you have a catback exhaust, any way you can put up a vid of how it sounds?
Old 04-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #16
Toyota Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by saundern View Post
see you have a catback exhaust, any way you can put up a vid of how it sounds?
Hell yeah! I'll take it tomorrow and put it up. I LOVE the sound. Nothing better than setting off crappy aftermarket alarms while driving by!

Old 04-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #17
Toyota Addict

Here's how I'm sitting now

@Blackdawg, I had some pics laying around of what it looks like now, but I'll still add a side shot tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Bilstein 5100's with Coil over or Rancho Quicklift?-1.jpg   Bilstein 5100's with Coil over or Rancho Quicklift?-2.jpg   Bilstein 5100's with Coil over or Rancho Quicklift?-awesome.jpg  
Old 04-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #19
Toyota Addict

Yeah, I believe they are 265/70/R16 I'll double check tomorrow though.

I really haven't had anything that I couldn't climb or get through yet with the stock setup, but browsing everyone else's trucks makes me really want to piss my truck off.

Your truck is barkin orders, I really like the bumper and light setup you have. How do you like the Mud Terrains?
Old 04-08-2012, 09:22 PM   #20
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
freaking love these tires. My second set, first set was 31x10.5s and they were amazing as well. Do great. Granted i have never had anything other then MTs so idk how they affected my mpgs really and the noise doesn't bother me at all.

They are great tires tho.

and if you did an nice OME lift and got some 275/75s..i think thats a size..damn metric..it would look great and ride amazing.

and thanks man. I love my truck just wait till ya see the rear bumper..