1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best $14 reverse lights ever

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by bpkrules, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Apr 6, 2012 at 12:20 PM
    bpkrules

bpkrules [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma4x4 BATMAN
    ARB Front bumper. Custom rear bumper. ARB snorkel. 883s 90004s. 1 inch daystar body mounts lift. Full skids. Leather seats.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/290639270278?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Got these(took about a month to ship but for 14...) and I couldn't be happier. Took about 10 mins. This pic doesnt do it justice so I will try to get more up this weekend. My buddy showed up after I had just finished and asked if I had installed headlights on the back of my truck! Do I think they are as bright as the 55w rev lights everyone else is running, no, but these aren't gonna break on the trail and $14!!!!!

[​IMG]

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Apr 6, 2012 at 12:22 PM
    saundern

saundern Swerve for nothing

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Simpsonville, SC
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport
    looks legit
    got mine from eBay too, but not these. happy with them so far

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Apr 6, 2012 at 12:25 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    I was just looking at these, but the 1156 version.... :spy:

any output shots against a wall?

4. Apr 6, 2012 at 12:36 PM
    bpkrules

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma4x4 BATMAN
    ARB Front bumper. Custom rear bumper. ARB snorkel. 883s 90004s. 1 inch daystar body mounts lift. Full skids. Leather seats.
    The stock bulbs got better light just under the bumper than the new ones but the new one have a projected beam that gets much better distance. I took pics of it but it didnt come out well. I think the 1156 will get better light just below(ie more spread) the truck than the ones I got but wont have the distance, but I'm guessing. I will get some shot aginst a wall soon, I just have to find a wall without lighting in Houston, this city is bright at night.

5. Apr 6, 2012 at 12:38 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    :popcorn:

Thanks

6. Apr 6, 2012 at 12:42 PM
    TennesseeFan76

TennesseeFan76 I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

Member:
    First Name:
    Phill Goodfactor
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner DCLB
    3 inch lift, Debadged, 5% Tint, Custom Stereo, BHLM, Fog Light Mod, Sockmonkey Decals, OEM Bedmat, Plasti Dip Front Valence, Slims 6K HIDs (thanks goes to TheGloryFades), Hyper yellow fog lights, LED interior lights, Satoshi Grille with FJ Emblem, Pro Comp lights behind Satoshi, FatMat
    I've got the Cree also. They are Badass

7. Apr 6, 2012 at 12:52 PM
    elmo7

elmo7 Easily Replaceable Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD OR 4x4
    ^ exactly. Head on shots just don't show anything worthwhile. I've seen some LED's that look bright head on, but when it came to the actual pattern of the light, they were more like spots than floods. I prefer a flood light style for a reverse light.

Camera tips:
    As for doing comparison shots showing the pattern/distance/etc, the best way it to use a camera that allows you to set the shutter speed. Not sure a cell phone camera can manage that, but about any other camera can. Of course, don't use flash but typically a flash would cause a camera to default to a 1/60 shutter speed, so you could use that setting to simulate what it'll look like to your eye. Hardly scientific, but regardless of the speed, use the same shutter speed for both and you have a good comparison of light output. You could lock ISO too. If you use auto mode, the camera will use a slower shutter to allow more light to enter for the weaker light. Of course, the better bulb will case a faster shutter speed to be used. The camera will try to make them equal. Use a tripod or prop to keep it steady for a long exposure.

8. Apr 6, 2012 at 1:24 PM
    bpkrules

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma4x4 BATMAN
    Best I got is an Iphone 4s. I have camera+ on it if you have any suggestions. I will try very hard to get some good pic up after this weekend.
    Here is the shot just under my bumper. I took the pic standing in the bed.
    The old light is better just under the bumper, but past 3 feet the cree is superbright where the old light doesn't reach. I like it better b/c when I can't see that first 3 ft from my mirrows anyways. Also this is in my very angled driveway.

[​IMG]

9. Apr 6, 2012 at 1:44 PM
    hulkit

hulkit Well-Known Member

Member:
    sacramento ca
    Vehicle:
    2000 tacoma 2.4l automatic
  10. Apr 9, 2012 at 10:21 AM
    bpkrules

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma4x4 BATMAN
    20 ft away
    [​IMG]
    15 ft away
    [​IMG]
    5 ft away
    [​IMG]

The spred just below the bumper sucks but I cant see that anyways. Also when I add rock lights, it will correct itself.
    Very happy with my $14 lights!!!

11. Apr 9, 2012 at 12:55 PM
    radcat692000

radcat692000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Clayton N.C.
    Vehicle:
    95 tacoma 4x4 sr5
    none

guess what i work at cree, here in rtp.... and yes we do have the best led's hands down...... pricey,,,but the best...:)

Products Discussed in

To Top