1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

tacoma refueling problems

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by FEARFACT, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Apr 8, 2012 at 9:25 AM
    FEARFACT

FEARFACT [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    03 double cab 4x4
    coilovers,33s etc
    hi everyone,
    this has been over on TTORA for along time, started the previous owner and never resolved now its my deal.
    to start its an 03 tacoma double cab 4x4.
    problem- while trying to refuel, regardless of the gas station it only lets a small fraction of a gallon in at a time. happened at every gas station from socal to nc and everyone i have been to since in this state.. takes about 20 mins to fill from E. yesterday i finally had a chance to look into it a bit so i pulled the bed and replaced the fuel cutoff valve (as suggested by a TTORA member). i also checked all the lines for kinks and blockages and blew them out with air. no blockages found. after reassembly i went to the gas station and the problems is still there.
    the previous owner messed with the VSV when troubleshooting and it did not help.
    other forum member suggested disconnecting part of the evap canister/system but i do not know which part to pull.
    this is a link to the thread on TTORA if anyone is interested. any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated. thanks for the help in advance, and if this is better suited in a different section of the site please do as you see fit Mods.
    -Matt

2. Apr 8, 2012 at 9:31 AM
    NelsonTacoma

NelsonTacoma This is my derpawayinator!!!!!

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport 03 4Runner Limited 4wd
    Bilstein 5100's , 6000k HID Hi/Low Kit, Magnaflow Muffler, 1.5 inch AP Wheel Spacers, Mudflap Delete
    My only guess would be the check valve/anti siphon valve that's in the bottom of the filler neck. It seems like the valve isn't opening enough to let fuel flow and not fill up the neck. Not 100% sure that your tank has one.

Note: Just a guess.

3. Apr 8, 2012 at 9:50 AM
    NelsonTacoma

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100's , 6000k HID Hi/Low Kit, Magnaflow Muffler, 1.5 inch AP Wheel Spacers, Mudflap Delete
    Here's a flow chart on how to test the entire evap system.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one shows the check valve specifically.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Apr 8, 2012 at 11:56 AM
    FEARFACT

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    03 double cab 4x4
    coilovers,33s etc
    the last owner did some VSV checks i beleive and i replaced a cutoff valve yesterday ( but its not at the neck base so if theres another there then i havent touched it).im not sure if this will cover all those bases but i just fueled up and in the processs i one by one disconnected each vacuum line going into what i assume is the evap cluster.... nothing has helped.... i did completely write off the idea that there could be something in the filler neck down low out of site since i am able to fuel and 2 times since january it just filled like any normal vehicle.. i wonder if theres something in there or could there actually be a problem with the neck somehow...such a dumb ass/irritating little problem!
    here that evap cluster if it sheds any light for anyone!

34px2f6_34049785d941de338d00bf5f6501d399b6c244c7.jpg

5. Apr 8, 2012 at 12:00 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Take apart the neck base. Maybe something is stuck in there.:notsure:

6. Apr 8, 2012 at 12:17 PM
    FEARFACT

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    03 double cab 4x4
    coilovers,33s etc
    yeah seems like the next step..for next weekend since its got a full tank now....ill have to see if i can manage it with out yanking the bed again... dont feel like dealing with that all over if i dont have to

7. Apr 14, 2012 at 8:05 AM
    FEARFACT

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    03 double cab 4x4
    coilovers,33s etc
    So if you thought myself, the previous owner and anyone else was over thinking this you were right! Pulled the need off again today then the filler neck and there it was a paper circle tab the size of a dime, I assume from a bottle of injector cleaner, sitting on the screen... I feel like an ass, but we have all had the situations of overlooking the obvious. The times it fueled ok that tab must have been on its side... Owell, I should be all set now..

8. Apr 14, 2012 at 8:06 AM
    NelsonTacoma

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Nice! At least you figured it out. :D

9. Apr 14, 2012 at 8:59 AM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    I didn't oner think it. But i did think it was something more malicious than a bottle seal. Lol.

Good job figuring it out!

10. Feb 4, 2016 at 9:36 AM
    BohlaaH

BohlaaH Loading...

Member:
    First Name:
    ALEX
    Thunder Bay, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport DCLB
    Rigid Industries Grille and 20' fitted LED bar 6" BDS Lift w/ FOX 2.5 (front) FOX 2.0 (rear) 35x12.5 TOYO M/T Open Country Tires Fuel Assault 18" Wheels OPT 7 LED 9003 Headlight Cut Cab Mount & Pinch Weld Trimmed Fender Flares 4.88 Yukon Gears ARB air locker Front & Rear Dent in Driver door... Relentless Fab CB antenna hood mounts Rigid Industries Dually "Amber" spot lights Adventure Offroad Fabrication Overhead Console OTTRAW Switch Mod
    My dad his this issue in his '01. Did anyone ever solve the problem?

Products Discussed in

To Top