Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Only 2 Payments Left! What To Do?!?

Old 12-18-2008, 02:52 AM   #1
dustinuhls is on a distinguished road

dustinuhls's Tacoma Gallery
Only 2 Payments Left! What To Do?!?

I just made my latest truck payment and realized I only have 2 left @ $330/month! I'm gonna have some extra money to play with now b/c I haven't not had a truck payment in almost 4 years. What should I buy??? There's so much stuff I want to do to my truck, I just don't know where to start! What's some of your favorite upgrades to make? So far I've only done the 3" ToyTec lift, new BFGs (285/75s), Nerf Bars, K&N w/ deckplate, ummm..... not much else. What would you guys do with and extra $300+ a month? (I know know I could pay extra on my student loans, but that's boring!)

I thought about trading it in and starting over with a new Tacoma and more payments, but my '01 DoubleCab only has 65K on it and still looks and drives good as new.

I'd love to hear ideas and see pics of what your favorite upgrades to you trucks are. Thanks!

I posted this on TacomaWorld.com and everyone told me to "save my money, invest it, or pay off extra student loans" that's boring!
Old 12-18-2008, 05:13 AM   #2
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Be boring. Pay your loans off.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:17 AM   #3
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Bank it!
Old 12-18-2008, 05:27 AM   #4
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
X2 for banking it. When you buy your next truck (I only kept my last one 14 years) you'll be able to pay cash or at least have a good down payment.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:16 AM   #5
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNYTACOMA View Post
Be boring. Pay your loans off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xedge View Post
Bank it!
You could do both. Up your loan payment by 100.Bank the rest.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:33 AM   #6
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridingontrd View Post
You could do both. Up your loan payment by 100.Bank the rest.
Better idea unless your loan interest exceeds the interest you make 'banking it'..
Old 12-18-2008, 06:39 AM   #7
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNYTACOMA View Post
Better idea unless your loan interest exceeds the interest you make 'banking it'..
Agreed.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:50 AM   #8
ubermx5 is on a distinguished road
ubermx5's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to ubermx5
The way this year is going, I say pay off all your loans and Credit cards first.
You want to be free from owing people money as soon as you can.

but take $75 a month an put it aside for truck mods, when you have enough in cash to pay for what you want then get it.
use a Credit card to buy it. But pay it off before their is interest.
You wil build your credit up to 850 very fast this way.

ALso have 2 to 4 months rent saved away for the bad time.
Ask me how I know this? I lost a few jobs and if I had not banked away cash I would be on the street...
Old 12-18-2008, 08:49 PM   #9
poeman56 is on a distinguished road
poeman56's Tacoma Gallery
i havent worked since thanksgiving, i would bank the money or atleast pay the loans off, i also have student loans i would pay them off as soon as i could if i was you. the extras can wait. or put some up along for the mods. i would keep it the truck and enjoy it.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:59 PM   #10
rugerm44 will become famous soon enough
rugerm44's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 02 dbl cab and an 06 dbl cab,both 4x4.I wouldnt trade the 02 for two new ones.The auto tranny dosent even have a dip stick.Sure its a little bigger and a little more comfortable.It gets about the same gas mpg and rides a little better.You have the last of the mini trucks and they are not going to make anymore.With all this frame rust issues theres not going to be many left at all.Keep what you have and SAVE for a rainy day like your parents probably tell you.The rainy days are here my friend.God Bless and Merry Christmas.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:02 PM   #11
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Pay yourself, act like the payments are not ending.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:48 PM   #13
dustinuhls is on a distinguished road

dustinuhls's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermx5 View Post
The way this year is going, I say pay off all your loans and Credit cards first.
You want to be free from owing people money as soon as you can.

but take $75 a month an put it aside for truck mods, when you have enough in cash to pay for what you want then get it.
use a Credit card to buy it. But pay it off before their is interest.
You wil build your credit up to 850 very fast this way.

ALso have 2 to 4 months rent saved away for the bad time.
Ask me how I know this? I lost a few jobs and if I had not banked away cash I would be on the street...
I don't have a credit card and never have. I believe in the philosophy that if I don't have the cash to pay for it, then I don't need it that bad! The only things I've had credit for is my truck loans and student loans. I don't owe anyone else money other than for my college education, which I'm not even using at this moment in my life (I make too much cash as a bartender, and have never tried to use one of my college degrees to get a "real" job). You guys are really depressing me with all the talk about banking my extra income (even though I know it's probably a good idea) and not spending it on upgrades.
I've always been bad about saving money b/c I walk home from work everyday with cash, and cash always seems to spend faster than if I got a paycheck and put it in the bank. If I'm broke and rent's due in a week, I pick up and extra shift, rent paid no problem.
Also, is that really the best way to build your credit, buying something on a card and paying it off right away? Does that work if I only put $20 a month on a card and pay it off immediately? Maybe I should get a credit card... Someone once told me that if you pay them off too fast and don't let the interest accumulate, that the credit card company would cancel you account b/c they're not making any money off you.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:31 PM   #14
function > form
747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

747's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinuhls View Post
I just made my latest truck payment and realized I only have 2 left @ $330/month! I'm gonna have some extra money to play with now b/c I haven't not had a truck payment in almost 4 years. What should I buy??? There's so much stuff I want to do to my truck, I just don't know where to start! What's some of your favorite upgrades to make? So far I've only done the 3" ToyTec lift, new BFGs (285/75s), Nerf Bars, K&N w/ deckplate, ummm..... not much else. What would you guys do with and extra $300+ a month? (I know know I could pay extra on my student loans, but that's boring!)

I thought about trading it in and starting over with a new Tacoma and more payments, but my '01 DoubleCab only has 65K on it and still looks and drives good as new.

I'd love to hear ideas and see pics of what your favorite upgrades to you trucks are. Thanks!

I posted this on TacomaWorld.com and everyone told me to "save my money, invest it, or pay off extra student loans" that's boring!
1st: Balvenie 21 year-old Portwood.
2d: A pack of Davidoff "Classic" cigs.
3d: Ralph Lauren Purple Label suit (2-button), black in color...you'll use it later, if not now.
4th: A night out with your girl, or your buddies.
Last: Spend it...it's only money, and you can't take it with you when you die.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:24 AM   #15
rugerm44 will become famous soon enough
rugerm44's Tacoma Gallery
Its thinking like that that got this country in the spot its in now.Glad your not in charge.Brother I been on this earth for quite some time.I have relatives that lived during the great depression that used to tell me how it was back then.Things are bad and there going to get worse.You need to buy a gun not stock or new tires and wheels.People get hungry they do things they never thought they would do.Like trying to take your food.The only thing thats going to fix this mess is time.If you dont thinks its rough out there just ask a uaw worker.Puppy mills are giving away pets and turning some over to the animal shelters where I live cause no one is buying them and the cute little pups are growing up in cages and they are not little anymore.There are people walking away from there homes and leaving there poor pets behind in the house.You think they would at least let them out so they would stand a chance.Where I work they are cutting back on a lot of things.I have worked for fedex since 1993 and I have never seen them cut upper managements pay nor lay people off.Good luck and have a good one.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:03 PM   #16
clowns to the left-jokers to the right
hoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ben
hoosiertaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinuhls View Post
Someone once told me that if you pay them off too fast and don't let the interest accumulate, that the credit card company would cancel you account b/c they're not making any money off you.
I use one card for gas, (gives me a discount), and I use one card for general purchases. I pay them both off every month and have done so for years. Don't want to pay interest. This has caused them to raise my credit limt tremendously, imagine that..

Can't speak for all credit card companies across the country, but they bank on the fact that you will skip a payment so they can charge a nice chunk of change....

btw, don't run out and get one, they aren't necessary.
And the one big key is BUDGET,BUDGET,BUDGET. Living within it!