1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Only 2 Payments Left! What To Do?!?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by dustinuhls, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Dec 18, 2008 at 2:52 AM
    dustinuhls

dustinuhls [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Manhattan, KS
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4wd
    Icon Coilovers, Magnaflow, K&N Intake
    I just made my latest truck payment and realized I only have 2 left @ $330/month! I'm gonna have some extra money to play with now b/c I haven't not had a truck payment in almost 4 years. What should I buy??? There's so much stuff I want to do to my truck, I just don't know where to start! What's some of your favorite upgrades to make? So far I've only done the 3" ToyTec lift, new BFGs (285/75s), Nerf Bars, K&N w/ deckplate, ummm..... not much else. What would you guys do with and extra $300+ a month? (I know know I could pay extra on my student loans, but that's boring!)

I thought about trading it in and starting over with a new Tacoma and more payments, but my '01 DoubleCab only has 65K on it and still looks and drives good as new.

I'd love to hear ideas and see pics of what your favorite upgrades to you trucks are. Thanks!

I posted this on TacomaWorld.com and everyone told me to "save my money, invest it, or pay off extra student loans" that's boring!

2. Dec 18, 2008 at 5:13 AM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    Be boring. Pay your loans off.

3. Dec 18, 2008 at 5:17 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Bank it!

4. Dec 18, 2008 at 5:27 AM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    X2 for banking it. When you buy your next truck (I only kept my last one 14 years:rolleyes:) you'll be able to pay cash or at least have a good down payment.

5. Dec 18, 2008 at 6:16 AM
    Ridingontrd

Ridingontrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Laughlin,N.V
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 w/towpkg
    aFe prodry,Dynomax ultra flo ss,Scangauge2,Demello front bumper,BudBuilt skids,sliders(local)AllPro rear bumper,Wet O's cobalt blu,w/halfpiping,TRD logo in gold,R/L hood struts,5150's@10"aal 3 pack,T/C uca,Light racing c/o,1"diff.drop,de-badged,
    You could do both. Up your loan payment by 100.Bank the rest.

6. Dec 18, 2008 at 6:33 AM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    Better idea unless your loan interest exceeds the interest you make 'banking it'..

7. Dec 18, 2008 at 6:39 AM
    Ridingontrd

Ridingontrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Laughlin,N.V
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 w/towpkg
    aFe prodry,Dynomax ultra flo ss,Scangauge2,Demello front bumper,BudBuilt skids,sliders(local)AllPro rear bumper,Wet O's cobalt blu,w/halfpiping,TRD logo in gold,R/L hood struts,5150's@10"aal 3 pack,T/C uca,Light racing c/o,1"diff.drop,de-badged,
    Agreed.:D

8. Dec 18, 2008 at 8:50 AM
    ubermx5

ubermx5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Clara CA
    Vehicle:
    98 2.4 5 speed
    K&N Air filter
    The way this year is going, I say pay off all your loans and Credit cards first.
    You want to be free from owing people money as soon as you can.

but take $75 a month an put it aside for truck mods, when you have enough in cash to pay for what you want then get it.
    use a Credit card to buy it. But pay it off before their is interest.
    You wil build your credit up to 850 very fast this way.

ALso have 2 to 4 months rent saved away for the bad time.
    Ask me how I know this? I lost a few jobs and if I had not banked away cash I would be on the street...

9. Dec 18, 2008 at 8:49 PM
    poeman56

poeman56 Member

Member:
    northwest Alabama
    Vehicle:
    04 tacoma ext cab 2.7 liter
    mickey thompson wheels,chrome nerf bars and 3 inch suspension lift is in the mail.
    i havent worked since thanksgiving, i would bank the money or atleast pay the loans off, i also have student loans i would pay them off as soon as i could if i was you. the extras can wait. or put some up along for the mods. i would keep it the truck and enjoy it.

10. Dec 19, 2008 at 4:59 PM
    rugerm44

rugerm44 Member

Member:
    I have an 02 dbl cab and an 06 dbl cab,both 4x4.I wouldnt trade the 02 for two new ones.The auto tranny dosent even have a dip stick.Sure its a little bigger and a little more comfortable.It gets about the same gas mpg and rides a little better.You have the last of the mini trucks and they are not going to make anymore.With all this frame rust issues theres not going to be many left at all.Keep what you have and SAVE for a rainy day like your parents probably tell you.The rainy days are here my friend.God Bless and Merry Christmas.

11. Dec 19, 2008 at 5:02 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Pay yourself, act like the payments are not ending.

12. Dec 19, 2008 at 5:09 PM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    ^^^^^^^what they all say.....good advice up there........

13. Dec 19, 2008 at 6:48 PM
    dustinuhls

dustinuhls [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Manhattan, KS
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4wd
    Icon Coilovers, Magnaflow, K&N Intake
    I don't have a credit card and never have. I believe in the philosophy that if I don't have the cash to pay for it, then I don't need it that bad! The only things I've had credit for is my truck loans and student loans. I don't owe anyone else money other than for my college education, which I'm not even using at this moment in my life (I make too much cash as a bartender, and have never tried to use one of my college degrees to get a "real" job). You guys are really depressing me with all the talk about banking my extra income (even though I know it's probably a good idea) and not spending it on upgrades.
    I've always been bad about saving money b/c I walk home from work everyday with cash, and cash always seems to spend faster than if I got a paycheck and put it in the bank. If I'm broke and rent's due in a week, I pick up and extra shift, rent paid no problem.
    Also, is that really the best way to build your credit, buying something on a card and paying it off right away? Does that work if I only put $20 a month on a card and pay it off immediately? Maybe I should get a credit card... Someone once told me that if you pay them off too fast and don't let the interest accumulate, that the credit card company would cancel you account b/c they're not making any money off you.

14. Dec 19, 2008 at 9:31 PM

747 function > form

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen.
    1st: Balvenie 21 year-old Portwood.
    2d: A pack of Davidoff "Classic" cigs.
    3d: Ralph Lauren Purple Label suit (2-button), black in color...you'll use it later, if not now.
    4th: A night out with your girl, or your buddies.
    Last: Spend it...it's only money, and you can't take it with you when you die.

15. Dec 20, 2008 at 10:24 AM
    rugerm44

rugerm44 Member

Member:
    Its thinking like that that got this country in the spot its in now.Glad your not in charge.Brother I been on this earth for quite some time.I have relatives that lived during the great depression that used to tell me how it was back then.Things are bad and there going to get worse.You need to buy a gun not stock or new tires and wheels.People get hungry they do things they never thought they would do.Like trying to take your food.The only thing thats going to fix this mess is time.If you dont thinks its rough out there just ask a uaw worker.Puppy mills are giving away pets and turning some over to the animal shelters where I live cause no one is buying them and the cute little pups are growing up in cages and they are not little anymore.There are people walking away from there homes and leaving there poor pets behind in the house.You think they would at least let them out so they would stand a chance.Where I work they are cutting back on a lot of things.I have worked for fedex since 1993 and I have never seen them cut upper managements pay nor lay people off.Good luck and have a good one.

16. Dec 20, 2008 at 2:03 PM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    I use one card for gas, (gives me a discount), and I use one card for general purchases. I pay them both off every month and have done so for years. Don't want to pay interest. This has caused them to raise my credit limt tremendously, imagine that..:rolleyes:

Can't speak for all credit card companies across the country, but they bank on the fact that you will skip a payment so they can charge a nice chunk of change....

btw, don't run out and get one, they aren't necessary.
    And the one big key is BUDGET,BUDGET,BUDGET.:D Living within it!

Products Discussed in

To Top