1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Check Engine Light, Code 'P0420' popped up in my 01 Tacoma

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by prerunnerSD, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Apr 17, 2012 at 6:41 PM
    WiscTaco

WiscTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Sr5 Trd 23.42 mpg
    Grey Wire, AFE Pro Dry S
    My P0420 story... I bought my used Tacoma from a dealership. The next day the check engine light came on. Code was P0420 bank 1 and P0420 bank 2. I called the dealership to inform them and at first they tried to talk their way out of it. Luckily this vehicle has a good paper trail. The previous owner always took it to a Toyota dealership.

-We all know how to plug in our own maintenance updates into your vin history?- If not, www.toyota.com/owners/web/pages/home create an account, bandabing and done.- I digress.

I was able to note the miles when the check engine light came on for the previous owner, compared to the miles when I bought it. After informing the dealership, they agreed to "look" at my truck. I changed the O2 sensors myself because I knew they wouldn't put in denso. And today they looked at my truck and will be sending me the two converters. (I would much rather put it on) ... Anywhos, my knowledge on catalytic converter quality is rather non existent.

Does anyone have any history with Walker converters. I believe that is the brand of the two. part number 52297 and 53432

We shall see if the code goes bye bye...

2. May 15, 2012 at 11:05 AM
    prerunnerSD

prerunnerSD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma Limited 6 cylinder 4X4
    Grill guard Front and rear Bilstein 5100's Front Coilovers Rear AAL "I Brake for Tailgaters" Firestone Destination A/T (P265/75/R16)
    So ultimately what did they have to do? Just the sensors or was it also both converters?

3. Nov 28, 2014 at 6:29 PM
    Cogneato

Cogneato Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Waco, Texas
    Vehicle:
    99 Prerunner SR5
    16" Duratracs, Westin Side Steps.
    Let me propose a different scenario. My computer threw a PO420 code and I took it to a shop. My exhaust manifold was cracked in half so I replaced it along with all the gaskets. After I did this, I got three different sensor codes thrown, but the PO420 code went away. I got a PO100, PO110, and PO135. One of those codes is the MAF, one is the o2, and one is air intake temperature. My exhaust leaks seems to be fixed. What do you guys make of this? I've had a mechanic tell me that it's possibly my after market cat malfunctioning due to the exhaust leak causing a bad fuel mixture. My truck runs rough when it's cold but after it heats up to operating temps it runs great. Any experience with this?

4. Nov 29, 2014 at 5:13 AM
    Robb235

Robb235 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    '99 4Runner
    231mm Tundra Brakes B&M 70264 Transmission Cooler

Did you forget to plug your MAF sensor in?

5. Nov 29, 2014 at 11:02 AM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    maybe you just need to reset the ECM so it can "readjust" all your fuel air mixtures now that the system is working correctly. give it a try by pulling the battery terminal so it clears your codes and resets the ECM at the same time, just write down your radio station presets first so you can reset them.

6. Nov 29, 2014 at 12:00 PM
    Cogneato

Cogneato Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Waco, Texas
    Vehicle:
    99 Prerunner SR5
    16" Duratracs, Westin Side Steps.
    No I plugged it in and checked all connections.

Also, we did reset all of those codes I mentioned and the CEL went off. I drove it for about 15 miles and it came back on. I'll try and reset it again.

Products Discussed in

To Top