Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Crankshaft pulley removal

Old 04-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
Ibdoubled is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
Ibdoubled's Tacoma Gallery
Crankshaft pulley removal

Been fighting with the crankshaft pulley on my99 Tacoma, soaking prying etc, the nut came off easy but the pulley is being a bear. Any ideas?
Old 04-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
if you have to ask, u can't afford it
tacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ray
tacobo670's Tacoma Gallery
crank pulley puller? try "tapping" it with a hammer. spray lube into "keyhole". try get a long screw driver/pry bar behind the pulley to yank it forward little at a time (shimmy it off) ---- be carefull when removing not to yank it into the radiator!!! put some cardboard in between rad and pulley or put crank bolt back on a few threads.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
I probably will see if I have a puller but for some reason the manual I borrowed says not to use one, don't know why? The radiator is already out
Old 04-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #4
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibdoubled View Post
I probably will see if I have a puller but for some reason the manual I borrowed says not to use one, don't know why? The radiator is already out
Probably because they can damage the crankshaft which would be very very bad.

If worst comes to worst you could use a puller with a nice big flat piece of metal between the puller and actual crank, spreading the load so you don't damage it.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:04 PM   #5
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have found that a puller helps. A couple of times I have used the puller but only had to spin it by hand to get the pulley off. For some reason sometimes it won't pull off by hand, I don't know why.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Mine came off easily by hand FYI, so it can't be on there that tight.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:56 AM   #7
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Mine came off easily by hand FYI, so it can't be on there that tight.

Yeah its not a tapered fit so just smack it a few times w/mallet & it should jar loose, but if ya had to use a puller it'd be a non event probably, it just needs to come off evenly...
Old 04-14-2012, 07:06 AM   #8
Pulley

After fighting with that pulley last night I went out this morning hit it a few more times with the mallet and never thinking it would move, reached behind it and it slid right off and onto the shop floor. Actually chipped the inner edge of the pulley about an inch long piece peeled off. I'll probably make sure it doesn't have any burrs that would tear up the belt and give it a they. I don't think it would be enough to through it out of balance but I guess I'll find out
Old 04-14-2012, 07:13 AM   #9
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
After fighting with that pulley last night I went out this morning hit it a few more times with the mallet and never thinking it would move, reached behind it and it slid right off and onto the shop floor. Actually chipped the inner edge of the pulley about an inch long piece peeled off. I'll probably make sure it doesn't have any burrs that would tear up the belt and give it a they. I don't think it would be enough to through it out of balance but I guess I'll find out

Funny how years of heating & cooling puts a death grip on shit huh....

You're probably ok on the pulley.... glad it worked out & it's now off !! good job !
Old 04-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #10
if you have to ask, u can't afford it
tacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ray
tacobo670's Tacoma Gallery
y was the radiator removed?
Old 04-15-2012, 09:12 AM   #11
Pulley

Already took out the radiator because it's got a crack in in, looking for one of those too. I guess eBay is the place for that
Old 09-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #12
alpha beta is on a distinguished road
Army:
alpha beta's Tacoma Gallery
CS Pulley Bolt

was the chankshaft pulley bolt standard or reverse thread?
Old 09-16-2013, 07:18 PM   #13
Tmiller3063 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: 559th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron (Civil Service)
Tmiller3063's Tacoma Gallery
Just did my timing belt and had to replace crankshaft pulley. Had to heat mine up to get it off so it ruined the seals. Replaced those as well and now all is good