LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2 or 1 Wheel Drive??

Old 12-22-2008, 07:47 AM   #21
Hey guys watch THIS!
fasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to behold

fasn8dave's Tacoma Gallery
Well, let me say this...

The right rear wheel seems dominant. This might because of the direction of rotation and the way the limited slip differential engages.

I pulled into the parking lot this morning and there's a nice large frozen puddle. So, it being slow here this close to christmas, I go out there and do a little experiment.

I backed onto the ice so that my left rear was on ice, and my right rear was on asphault. I put it in drive and drove right off of it.

I backed onto the ice again, but this time my right wheel was on the ice, and my left wheel was on asphault. My right wheel spun and I had to put it in 4 wheel to pull off the ice.

I know it's call "limited slip" but I think the direction of rotation places a bias on the transmission. This may also be the reason behind the "right rear, left front" condition.

Just my thoughts. I'm not a professional, or even that smart for that matter, LOL
Old 12-23-2008, 07:32 PM   #22
Saratogian
DefyInertia is on a distinguished road

Name: Nate
DefyInertia's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasn8dave View Post
Well, let me say this...

The right rear wheel seems dominant. This might because of the direction of rotation and the way the limited slip differential engages.

I pulled into the parking lot this morning and there's a nice large frozen puddle. So, it being slow here this close to christmas, I go out there and do a little experiment.

I backed onto the ice so that my left rear was on ice, and my right rear was on asphault. I put it in drive and drove right off of it.

I backed onto the ice again, but this time my right wheel was on the ice, and my left wheel was on asphault. My right wheel spun and I had to put it in 4 wheel to pull off the ice.

I know it's call "limited slip" but I think the direction of rotation places a bias on the transmission. This may also be the reason behind the "right rear, left front" condition.

Just my thoughts. I'm not a professional, or even that smart for that matter, LOL
Yeah, this is what I'm talking about. So far no one has provided a well founded explanation.

Whether I'm on dirt or wet pavement, when both tires are on the same surface, my right rear always spins up first.

PS - I feel sorry for those that can't grasp what a basic concept such as "common sense" really means.