1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2 or 1 Wheel Drive??

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by archerytarget, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Dec 22, 2008 at 7:47 AM
    fasn8dave

fasn8dave Hey guys watch THIS!

Member:
    Lewisville, NC
    Vehicle:
    06 DC 4x4
    3" Suspension Lift Custom Wheels 265 / 75 / 16 Nitto Terra Grappler Tires (32") Hard Bed Cover Front Bull Bar / Skid Plate Tinted Glass Header Mount GPS Billet Grille
    Well, let me say this...

The right rear wheel seems dominant. This might because of the direction of rotation and the way the limited slip differential engages.

I pulled into the parking lot this morning and there's a nice large frozen puddle. So, it being slow here this close to christmas, I go out there and do a little experiment.

I backed onto the ice so that my left rear was on ice, and my right rear was on asphault. I put it in drive and drove right off of it.

I backed onto the ice again, but this time my right wheel was on the ice, and my left wheel was on asphault. My right wheel spun and I had to put it in 4 wheel to pull off the ice.

I know it's call "limited slip" but I think the direction of rotation places a bias on the transmission. This may also be the reason behind the "right rear, left front" condition.

Just my thoughts. I'm not a professional, or even that smart for that matter, LOL

2. Dec 23, 2008 at 7:32 PM
    DefyInertia

DefyInertia Saratogian

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    '05 DCLB 4x4 SR5#8 (white)
    Toytec Ultimate: ~3" up front via coil overs, LR UCAs, and SB delete; 2+ out back with AAL and new shocks. Leer cap, padded sleeping platform in bed
    Yeah, this is what I'm talking about. So far no one has provided a well founded explanation.

Whether I'm on dirt or wet pavement, when both tires are on the same surface, my right rear always spins up first.

PS - I feel sorry for those that can't grasp what a basic concept such as "common sense" really means. :eek:

Products Discussed in

To Top