Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2 or 1 Wheel Drive??

Old 12-18-2008, 09:45 PM   #1
BTHOB
archerytarget will become famous soon enough

archerytarget's Tacoma Gallery
2 or 1 Wheel Drive??

are 2 wheel drive 1st gen. tacoma's really two wheel drive or just one wheel? i'm curious because on and off ive noticed that when i slip on slick streets the noise from the spinning tire is coming from the right rear tire. and ive gotten stuck sometimes off-road, but ive noticed that if i hit a mud hole with just my left side, i make it through just fine. im thinking its because the right rear is the one with the power. i dont know a whole bunch about rear diff locking and im pretty sure my truck doesnt have traction control ...ive always wondered about this, can anyone explain/help?
Old 12-18-2008, 09:56 PM   #2
The Cooler King
Dustin03 is a glorious beacon of lightDustin03 is a glorious beacon of lightDustin03 is a glorious beacon of lightDustin03 is a glorious beacon of lightDustin03 is a glorious beacon of light

Dustin03's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Dustin03
Well it's fairly simple. Power is being sent to the rear axle, which powers both rear wheels. The thing about power though, is that it has a habit of following the path of least resistance. Apparently your right tire is that path. The role of a differential lock is to force both sides of the axle to spin at the same speed, therefore equally distributing the power.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:05 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential2.htm
Old 12-18-2008, 10:14 PM   #5
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
I've noticed something similar as well! Thanks for the link Chris!
Old 12-18-2008, 10:39 PM   #6
Saratogian
DefyInertia is on a distinguished road

Name: Nate
DefyInertia's Tacoma Gallery
And your front left will get the power up front...

So why, other than least resistance, is this always the case?

And how exactly does the locker work?
Old 12-19-2008, 07:21 AM   #7
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefyInertia View Post
And your front left will get the power up front...

So why, other than least resistance, is this always the case?

And how exactly does the locker work?
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential6.htm
Old 12-19-2008, 08:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TengoTaco View Post
lol
What? Link no good?
Old 12-19-2008, 12:13 PM   #10
ubermx5 is on a distinguished road
ubermx5's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to ubermx5
The link is good.

Most cars have a lighter side left to right and front to back.

So the tire that is on the lightess side with the least amount of tractions get the most power. Suck becase that wheel might be on ICE or sand and you are stuck
Old 12-19-2008, 08:22 PM   #11
dustinuhls is on a distinguished road

dustinuhls's Tacoma Gallery
Really? Has no one else responded w/ the answer to this or am I just reading wrong? Unless you have a diff locker that is engaged your axle is an open differential. That means that the power goes to both wheels unless there is a variance in traction between the two rear wheels. If your left tire is on ice, etc. and the right on pavement, the left will spin. If your right tire is on ice, etc. and the left on pavement, the right will spin. The power goes to the wheel with least resistance. It's all to aid w/ turning smoother (the inside rear tire will not receive as much power as the outside tire, so it will turn smoother).
Old 12-19-2008, 08:25 PM   #12
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
you can lead a horse to water but you can't make em' drink
Old 12-19-2008, 08:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinuhls View Post
Really? Has no one else responded w/ the answer to this or am I just reading wrong? Unless you have a diff locker that is engaged your axle is an open differential. That means that the power goes to both wheels unless there is a variance in traction between the two rear wheels. If your left tire is on ice, etc. and the right on pavement, the left will spin. If your right tire is on ice, etc. and the left on pavement, the right will spin. The power goes to the wheel with least resistance. It's all to aid w/ turning smoother (the inside rear tire will not receive as much power as the outside tire, so it will turn smoother).
I felt the 2 links I provided gave a clear explanation on how it works.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:03 PM   #14
Saratogian
DefyInertia is on a distinguished road

Name: Nate
DefyInertia's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
they did....

so can anyone explain why it's usually the front left and the back rear that get get the most power or am I just making that up?
Old 12-19-2008, 09:33 PM   #15
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
they did....
LOL i thought this would be the end! haha oh well...
Old 12-19-2008, 09:41 PM   #16
dustinuhls is on a distinguished road

dustinuhls's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I actually didn't read your link until now, but I just figured this was something everyone knew already. I know this site is to help people out (I've also had some dumb questions later revised) but I thought most people knew there is not a "one wheel drive" truck. Sorry if I offended anyone, but I thought this was common sense stuff.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:16 AM   #17

Quote:
they did....

so can anyone explain why it's usually the front left and the back rear that get get the most power or am I just making that up?
Its because of the way the ring gear and planetary gears are in the Tacoma axels.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:09 AM   #18
Uncivilized Creations Prez
PrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Redz
PrezidentRedz's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to PrezidentRedz
Its just the way it works and because the Right side is lighter! EX. Gastank and Driver on Left side.!
Old 12-22-2008, 07:30 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrezidentRedz View Post
Its just the way it works and because the Right side is lighter! EX. Gastank and Driver on Left side.!
It has more to do with the location of the ring gear in the "pumpkin".
Old 12-22-2008, 07:33 AM   #20
Uncivilized Creations Prez
PrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Redz
PrezidentRedz's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to PrezidentRedz
Quote:
It has more to do with the location of the ring gear in the "pumpkin".
True, depends on the situation your in. but in almost any situation the lighter wheel, or wheel on a softer surface is going to spin, wasn't saying you were wrong...