Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Cv axle seal replacement

Old 06-08-2013, 07:28 AM   #21
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertime187 View Post
I just changed my rear fluid and greased my drive shafts. Something to eats then ill do the front seal and fluid!

take some pics....
Old 06-08-2013, 07:29 AM   #22
sander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
sander1036's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
I'm looking at the photo posted and to ME it looks like the metal part of the original seal is still in the housing. I can't say 100% for sure obviously, but I am just going by the photo. Something just doesn't look right in the picture.

If not, and the seal is too big, then the question is, how much too big? As mentioned these seals need to be carefully driven in. They won't just slip into place.
Yep that's exactly what it is.. The rubber on my original seal was destroyed so the metal was left yet... But that was a year or so ago

Some NY DB revived the thread haha
Old 06-08-2013, 07:32 AM   #23
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wish op would update thread.....
at least to help others....
Old 06-08-2013, 07:33 AM   #24
01 5 speed
taco52 is on a distinguished road

Name: Trevor
taco52's Tacoma Gallery
Old 06-08-2013, 07:36 AM   #25
sander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
wish op would update thread.....
at least to help others....
I didn't take pics...
Old 06-08-2013, 07:37 AM   #26
BIG DADDY

maybe a detailed write up on what was done and any tips or said tricks.....
op?
Old 06-08-2013, 07:49 AM   #27

Well I unbolted the lbj mount, unbolted the cv from the hub, then spun the spindle to the side enough to pull the cv axle out from the diff, then I tried prying the seal out that didn't work waited for pops to find his slide hammer then hooked it on the seal and tapped it while rotating around the seal. She finally came out then I cleaned up the area where the seal goes and then placed it in there and tapped it home with rubber mallet
Old 06-08-2013, 07:53 AM   #28
BIG DADDY

op
how far did you drive the seal in?
was this driver side "diff" or add side " pass"?
is there a stop for said seal?
which direction did you install the c clip on the diff side with opening facing up or down?
was this a one man operation?
op?
Old 06-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #29

Ummm well I sorta tapped it until it wouldn't go anymore... It was the drivers side
One man show

Oh and here Scott this might help you more http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...g-2nd-gen.html
Old 06-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #30
kbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kbauman92's Tacoma Gallery
subbed, i just picked up my passenger side seal yesterday
Old 06-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #31
BIG DADDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by sander1036 View Post
Ummm well I sorta tapped it until it wouldn't go anymore... It was the drivers side
One man show

Oh and here Scott this might help you more http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...g-2nd-gen.html
thanks
steve it is correct?
Old 06-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #32
I'll be your huckleberry!
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Iraq vet
Name: David
Millertime187's Tacoma Gallery

Getting there
Old 06-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #33
BIG DADDY

Old 06-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #34
I think I'm getting the Fear.
MY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53-E Crewchief/Mechanic, HMH-464
Name: Mojo
MY50cal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
op
how far did you drive the seal in?
was this driver side "diff" or add side " pass"?
is there a stop for said seal?
which direction did you install the c clip on the diff side with opening facing up or down?
was this a one man operation?
op?
Drivers side gets seated all the way in. You'll know when it's seated, there is a lip it will butt up against.

DO NOT SEAT THE PASSENGER SEAL or you will be doing this again soon. It should be in just far enough to have about 1/8" of outer rim showing. Be carful with these seals, they are finicky little bitches and will leak with the slightest damage or bend in the metal ring. A seal press kit is a good investment, I need to pick up one myself. Also a seal puller from any auto store is like 5 bucks.

Clip opening facing down. One man job. GL.

Oh, and Millertime... OP is first gen. This ^ applies to 2nd.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #35
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
Use a seal puller. NAPA ORIELLYS AUTZONE rent them dirt cheap, and they rip that old seal out in about 2 fucking seconds.

When setting your new one in, set the outside of the seal (the widest part) FLUSH with your diff. There might be a bit of rubber that protrudes, and will contact your CV dust shield when its put back in (seals the system a bit)

Degrease and clean your CV axle dust shield, if its damaged, (highly unlikely) replace that too. Its like 8 bucks at the dealership
Old 06-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #36
BIG DADDY

did my driver side cv last night with the help of a few friends....and
found the cv outer dust seal imploded....replaced that and a new diff seal
the driver side has a stop for it...went in real easy with a socket and a few well placed taps....
but it looks like my needle bearing is toast and is causing the cv to wobble a bit under load and leak still
the old seal we pulled out was in perfect shape....
i think with the cv movement the seal deflects and slings oil all over
cause when parked no leaky
so ecgs it is.....
Old 06-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #37
BIG DADDY

Quote:
I'm doing mine today. When I ordered my seal this week they said they were two different seals. Mine is a type A(I hope) there is a tab where the diff is put together. Depending where that tap is, which seal you need. My tab is at bottom, the other will be at top.
how did it turn out?
Old 06-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #38
I'll be your huckleberry!
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Iraq vet
Name: David
Millertime187's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
how did it turn out?
Good. Pretty easy. No more leak
Old 06-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #39
BIG DADDY

Quote:
Good. Pretty easy. No more leak
nice wish i could say the same
will be pulling apart thisweekend and doing both sides and pulling the needle bearing.....
Old 06-16-2013, 08:18 AM   #40
BIG DADDY

Woot got mine all buttoned up