1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Removing Cat Converter

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by jspearson, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Apr 16, 2012 at 9:58 AM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    lol at 7am!

so i took off my exhaust a while ago (just stock muffler) with a sawzall. i was bored.. haha.

but after i did that my truck was noticably slower, thats back pressure right?

2. Apr 16, 2012 at 7:06 PM
    jspearson

jspearson [OP] Toyota for life!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma Xtra Cab TRD (3.4L)
    2" lift Air ride suspension 5% tint 245/75/16 Toyo Tires American Racing 16x6 Pioneer AVH4300 DVD Rhino lined - bed/rocker panel. Black out headlights taillights and three brake light. More in progress!
    Well my decision is made keeping the cat.

Thanks guys

Like the website.

3. Apr 16, 2012 at 8:09 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    No. You fucked up the scavenging of the engine. Back in the early days of automotive engineering, there was no technology to accurately measure and tune exhaust performance. Engines were large, and inefficient. Engineers noticed that, if a smaller pipe was used, engine torque could improve. Making them larger lost low end, but gave gains up top. They thought they were "reducing back pressure", when in fact, they inadvertantly were changing the scavenging characteristics of the exhaust. By speeding up, or slowing down the exhaust, you can move the power of the engine. More so, by actually tuning the exhaust to the engines timing, you can get more power from smaller more efficient engines. NO engine should have any back pressure in the exhaust system. Thats why an OEM muffler is huge, and cats are 2 - 3 times larger in diameter than the exhaust they are on. Its also why you dont get 30+ hp gains from exhaust anymore. Now days, the best systems are giving about 8 (on our trucks for example), and even headers arent giving the gains once had.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/19967-how-air-goes-thru-your-engine-basic.html

Brie likes this.
  4. Apr 16, 2012 at 8:32 PM
    TacoMX

TacoMX TW's Official anti body-lift pundit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    Removing the cats=will sound like a rice burner.

Keep your stock cat, or run an aftermarket high flow cat if you want better sound.

Then run a maganflow muffler and enjoy.

5. Apr 25, 2012 at 5:36 PM
    poseytaco

poseytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nicholas
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2012 Off-road
    My cat was stolen a few months back. I wanted to replace it with stock, but it was going to cost around 2000.00$. I guess Toyota only sells the cat with tailpipe
    and muffler assembled. I ended up going with an aftermarket brand called Walker. The performance is back to stock, maybe slightly better, but it is definitely louder. IMO, the stock cat is
    The best. I wish I still had mine.

6. May 1, 2012 at 11:31 AM
    dzlpwrd

dzlpwrd toyota fan from birth

Member:
    First Name:
    james
    wilton maine
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 v6 4x4 sr5
    ported air box, 3 inch custom exhaust, with cat delete, tinted windows, 4 6 inch 300 watt speakers, 2 1800 watt amps,2 6x9 900 watt speakers, pioneer recievier with ipod control, 3 inch lift, color match cap, more to come...
    here's my .02 worth. i have a 95.5 taco with the 3.4 5 speed 4x4 extra cab. my truck was totaled in a little t-bone incident. i bought it back and rebuilt it in my spare time with what i could find for cheap parts, what can i say i don't have a ton of cash to throw at a project. i finally finished the truck and it needed an exhaust, i had piles of 3.5" pieces left over from all the powestroke exhausts i have built for other people. so i pulled the headder and everything off my tacoma. i bought a adapter to fit the 3.5 pipe and started fabricating. my cat was already gone so i took an old cat housing and cut the ends off, then i slid a piece of straight pipe thru it and welded it up so it still looked like a cat. i took my o2 sensors out and spaced them so they were out of the flow a little. i used a stock powerstroke muffler and that was a mistake, holy crap was that loud. so i replaced it with a standard 3.5 in and out muffler from napa. it's still makes some noise but it's not bad to drive. the power is as good as it ever was. the last thing i did to the truck was to change out the full time 4wd hubs for manual hubs, while i was at it i changed the wheel bearings. my truck has 167k on it and when i filled it yesterday i got 19.8 mpg with it. that's driving from my house to my shop and around town. most of the roads i travel are secondary roads and the last 2 miles of my trip home are on dirt. i'm running 31 inch mud terrain tires and i have no check engine light coming on. i'm not saying everyone should go and hack thier exhaust, this is just MY experience. back when i was running it with the cat and the full time hubs the best it would get was 18 or 19 if i took it on a trip, around town and daily driving it would do about 16.

7. May 10, 2012 at 11:22 AM
    Redneck08

Redneck08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wa
    Vehicle:
    2012 tacoma
    pro comp 6" lift, 20x12 fuel octanes, 305/55 nitto m/ts, afe stage 2 intake
    My 3.4l tacoma does not have the cat on it. I welded a 3" piece of tube in its place, from there runs back to a single in dual out glass back style muffler. The muffler is 3" in, dual 2.5" out.. Definitely way more flow than the 5vzfe would ever need. I also still can get 18 mpg with a 35s and a dana 44 front, so I doubt its killing my mileage. Sounds pretty sick to :D

8. May 10, 2012 at 12:39 PM
    sudafed

sudafed Well-Known Member

Member:
    fucking straight shitting brah

9. May 10, 2012 at 1:32 PM
    Blacktacoma23

Blacktacoma23 If your tires don't rub you can fit bigger tires

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2011 Mall Crawler/84'
    6" BDS DB, 37", Dirt King, Total chaos UCA's w/ Heims, Fox c/o's, 4-banger fenders, 37" Nittos, 4.88 w/ rear ARB, AP Expos, 17x9 Method beadlocks, cab mount relocation, "Insain fab" tub, 5% tint, 10" Rockford Fosgates, Magnaflow 18" custom catback exhaust, AFE intake, Trail Gear bumper, Crown brake lines F/R
    Your trail rig is sick, I remember seeing it around somewhere.

10. May 10, 2012 at 7:30 PM
    Redneck08

Redneck08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wa
    Vehicle:
    2012 tacoma
    pro comp 6" lift, 20x12 fuel octanes, 305/55 nitto m/ts, afe stage 2 intake
    Thank you, and yeah my wheeler is the rig without a cat. Sorry, it sounds good* (smart asses :smack:)

11. Jan 17, 2014 at 5:17 PM
    Farmboy

Farmboy Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    western MA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma 2.7L 4x4
    windshield compass haha
    Thank you Chris, your post is very helpful. I'm @ 167k and pulled a bad cat code. I started by replacing rear o2 sensor, which i tested with multimeter and discovered was defective. The front sensor is working...for now, but I think I will replace that, after reading your post. The front cat is making an additional humming noise, it just sounds a bit louder than usual. I hear no noise coming from down stream cat. I am going to replace the pre (front) cat, as I am sure it is garbage. Your post is making me think that it may be wise to purchase the OEM part. I found "exact fit" cats from eastern catalytic, but ....if this is all about a timing issue with the truck, I imagine I could potentially screw this up with a non-OEM part. I gotta say, the picture of eastern catalytic's part looks exactly like my OEM....any words of wisdom?

Brie likes this.
  12. Oct 17, 2014 at 3:21 PM
    nxrunner

nxrunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Lafayette La.
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Double Cab 6 Speed

Great Info!! Not questioning what your saying, because I feel the same way, but do you have some supporting documentation? I would like to show someone, perhaps make them a believer...

13. Oct 17, 2014 at 3:31 PM
    Ihatetacomas

Ihatetacomas Because tacomas hate me

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Elko NV
    Vehicle:
    '12 White LB TRD Sport
    Used @ 23,283 Volant Intake (w/ scoop)(removed August 2016), BAKFlip G2 Tonneau Cover, (drain tube mod), Pop & Lock Tailgate Lock, Stampede Vigilante Premium VP Series Hood Protector, 5lb Extinguisher, Shovel & Axe mounted in bed, Shok Industries Sound Deadener, Mercury: (K62, MGR-1200, MGR-495) Triton 8" Subs, Custom-Made: Sub Box, Speaker Templates, Vapor Barrier, All-Pro Bumper w/Kickouts, hidden trailer hitch, wooden cup-holder Misc: Knukonceptz RCA, speaker, and power wires, Big 3 Upgrade, a very full Husky technician tool box
    Super informative Chris,

14. Jul 14, 2016 at 10:34 AM
    Brie

Brie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brieanna
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma TRD, Prerunner
    Yes Chris4x4, you're the Bee's knees!! (get it? Bee's -> honeycomb -> cat... oh I crack myself up!) Ok, that was lame, but you really helped a lot of us out with that post you made, Thank you!

Products Discussed in

To Top