1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1996 tocoma for $3000 high miles worth it?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Thatguymax20, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Apr 16, 2012 at 10:04 AM
    Thatguymax20

Thatguymax20 [OP] Member

Member:
    Hey everyone. I found a 1996 taco with about 160xxx miles on it. They are asking 3400 which I thought was a bit high, but anyways I'm in the marlet for a new DD bc I'm tired of DDing my turbo 240sx everyday.It would be used for DD/picking up light car parts/occasiosal 300 mile trip to the parents house. I have 3000 to play with so I came here to ask you guys if I should offer him 3000 and if I should be afraid of the miles on the truck. It's a 4cl 5 spd 2wd. Standard cab. claims It was used for simple farm chores. The body is in good shape and paint looks good. I know my way around cars but I'm new to toyotas and trucks in general. I would like it to last atleast 5 years or so. It's the best deal I can currently find on craigslist list as far as tacos go. Worth it or not guys?

2. Apr 16, 2012 at 10:32 AM
    wesrunner

wesrunner Gang Gang

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    It's paid for.
    a buncha fuckin toyotas
    I'd say yeh thats a good price. 160k is nothing to one of those trucks.

3. Apr 16, 2012 at 10:43 AM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    160k isn't really high miles, that's about the average miles for the earlier first gens.Tacomas hold their value, 2wd not as much as the 4wd but sill hold value. 3400 is probably normal. If you could get it for 3 that would be a good buy. With the 2wd 160 should last you a while if it was taken care of. 2wds are simple with not a lot to break. Id say you would get till 200 before maintnece started becoming a common occurance

4. Apr 16, 2012 at 10:51 AM
    Thatguymax20

Thatguymax20 [OP] Member

Member:
    When you say maintenance a common occurence at 200k like what usually goes bad around then? I can do anything that doesn't require tearing down the eingine myself. So what should I be concerned with going bad?

5. Apr 16, 2012 at 10:54 AM
    Thatguymax20

Thatguymax20 [OP] Member

Member:
    I also found a 4cl ranger 5spf with about 118xxx miles but I have no expirence to go by on domestics Would you say the taco is a better buy? Same price

6. Apr 16, 2012 at 11:00 AM
    wesrunner

wesrunner Gang Gang

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    It's paid for.
    a buncha fuckin toyotas
    Nothing will "go bad"...

I think he just means that you will need to be more consistent with maintenence and keeping track of things like plugs, timing chain, filters, oil changes.

And get the taco over the ranger hands down.

7. Apr 16, 2012 at 11:08 AM
    Amo-cat3

Amo-cat3 Wizard Sleeve Master

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Blown dubcab
    TRD Supercharged 4.0 w/ 2.5" Quick change Pulley, UCON EMS, URD 7th injector, AFE Stage II intake, DT Longtubes, MBRP 2.5" dual exhaust w/ Vibrant Ultra resonator, URD Y-pipe w/ vibrant v-bands (Cat free), Walboro 255 fuel pump, SS Oil catch can, Aeroforce gauges, Icon CDC 2.5 coilover set at 3", 1.5" Wleelers Progressive aal, Light racing uca, 17x8.5 Fuel Anza 4.5" backspace/-6 mm offset, Kelly Safari a/t 265/70/17, scanguage 2, AMP electric steps, bed extender, Low-pro tonneau cover, 20% tinted windows/headlights/taillights, tacoma seat covers, Image dynamic sound system w/ Pinoneer avh3200 head, assrtd stickers................
    Sounds good, but overal just use your common sense, check the truck out thoroughly, do a carfax, then low ball em' (just playin').

8. Apr 16, 2012 at 11:20 AM
    RV7Garage

RV7Garage R.O.U.S.

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Ill Annoy
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Offroad, Nautical Blue
    Disable DRL, Jailbreak Fog Lights, ARE topper
    would definitely NOT consider a Ford Ranger with 118k miles

9. Apr 16, 2012 at 3:37 PM
    Thatguymax20

Thatguymax20 [OP] Member

Member:
    Gotcha, I'm going to go give it a look over soon then, so if everything checks out and I can talk him down to 3k or less is this a snag? Or should I hold off and see if a better deal comes up?

10. Apr 16, 2012 at 3:41 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    What state this truck in? What's the frame look like? With on 160k miles on the clock, $3000 seems cheap. So check the frame. And get a compression test.

11. Apr 16, 2012 at 4:05 PM
    Thatguymax20

Thatguymax20 [OP] Member

Member:
    Alabama, usually no worries about rust here, but ill look underneath it when i go out there. if they allow me to ill do a comp test to. so if 3000 is cheap for one of these? snag for sure? or wait to see what else comes up?
    just for comparison sake. I also found a 2000 honda accord today with 139xxx miles but its automatic for 3200, and i prefer stick shift plus i heard the auto trannys like to go out early on that year. MPG would be the only plus to me over a truck but not priority
    my priority is longevity and not having to constantly tinker with it. since i already have a fun car, just not at all practical for daily use and im constantly having to tweak with it .plus a truck would be nice for picking stuff up for it.

12. Apr 16, 2012 at 4:07 PM
    wesrunner

wesrunner Gang Gang

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    It's paid for.
    a buncha fuckin toyotas
    Get the taco.

13. Apr 16, 2012 at 4:11 PM
    drubacca117

drubacca117 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Eglin AFB, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '12 PreRunner V6 SR5 Double Cab
    Just do some of the math on it... Most people estimate 12K miles a year with a vehicle. On a 16 year old vehicle, that would put the average (and low BTW) estimate for the milage at 192K, so this Taco being at 160K is actually pretty low.

14. Apr 16, 2012 at 4:16 PM
    05 TRD Sport

05 TRD Sport She's Fat, I'm Drunk, It's On.

Member:
    30 minutes south of Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    Red Prerunner AC
    It won't last long at that price. Move quickly.

15. Apr 16, 2012 at 4:19 PM
    Thatguymax20

Thatguymax20 [OP] Member

Member:
    very true, so what im asking is, so should i jump on this for 3k? or should i hold off and see if another comes up?

Seems like the taco, or the accord are the best deals i can find around here for the price right now, If you guys think rangers are far inferior then there out of the question(found a few late 90s with alittle over 100xxx in my price range) not necessarily in a rush.

16. Apr 16, 2012 at 4:23 PM
    drubacca117

drubacca117 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Eglin AFB, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '12 PreRunner V6 SR5 Double Cab
    If everything looks good on the exterior and the interior is passable I'd say jump on it. You would be getting a quality, highly reliable truck at a great price, and at that price it surely won't last long.

17. Apr 16, 2012 at 4:47 PM
    TacoMX

TacoMX TW's Official anti body-lift pundit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    x2.

A truck like that, even a 96 still goes for 6k+ around here.

And a Ranger with 118k is about equal to a Tacoma w/ 300k....IMO

18. Apr 16, 2012 at 5:51 PM
    Thatguymax20

Thatguymax20 [OP] Member

Member:
    oh wow, yeah ill jump on it then if he still has it for sale, just called and no answer so hopefully he will get back with me then or ill just call back later. ima try and go out there tomorrow if i can get ahold of the guy.

19. Apr 16, 2012 at 10:32 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    sorry for not responding sooner. but yes. Everyone will scream "oh 160k is just broken in" and "tacomas run forever", but the simple truth is that it is a 15 year old truck, and after you put 40k more on it it will be almost 20 years old with 200k. at that point any gas engine no matter how great it is just gets old and worn. Little parts here and there just break and go bad often and it really becomes a pain in the butt when you want to keep your truck running in prime shape and things just go bad occasionally. Just ask Ian (has a 2.7 96 4x4) how good his truck at 210k miles is doing. he had to scrap his MOAB plans because he didnt feel comfortable driving it down from canada. I wouldnt be concerend with things going bad, as i would just being prepared to know that you will be replacing things and doing regular "maintenance work" fixing things before each part goes bad and fails. Of course you really have to be proactive with it too. unlike a truck at 80k, you cant just say "oh, ill get to that later and fix it", because with such high miles you might not know how soon that part and the 10 parts around it are form breaking.

Thats a tough one. The miles on the taco are much higher, but the taco is all around just more dependable. It might come down to condition of the truck and how well each has been treated. But if it were me (again figuring putting about 40-50k miles untill i move onto a new truck) i would rather finish off having a have a taco with 200k then a ranger with 160...just a personal opinion.
    yes
    really? for a 2wd? that seems really high.
    good luck! if you have any questions just ask. it can be a tricky job buying a used truck, especially with high miles. I know i asked 100 questions about what to look for when i was trading up to the 4x4.

20. Apr 16, 2012 at 10:57 PM
    STiLL WILL

STiLL WILL MY NAME ISN'T WILL

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt [again, not WILL]
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra TRD Sport 4wd
    Yes, I sold my '13 Taco. :'(
    I bought my 150k mi 95.5 Xtracab Tacoma 4x4 v6 5-Speed in January for $6,000. Pretty mint/virgin condition for it's age. $3400 on a 160k 96 Taco is DEFINITELY a deal as long as it's mechanically sound.

Some easy things to do/inspect prior to finalizing the deal:

-CARFAX

-Ask about regular maintenance on it.

-Pull the dipstick(pretty much a given)

-Pop the radiator cap off and look at the condition of the coolant. If it's dirty and looks like it's barely been changed, that's definitely something worth noting. FYI: Toyota Factory Coolant is red in color. Dirty coolant = unhappy head gasket.

-Listen to the motor when it idles. It shouldn't be WHISPER quiet(given it's age and mileage), but it shouldn't be embarrassingly loud---if regular maintenance has been performed on it.

If everything checks out to your liking, you should definitely do some "peace of mind" maintenance after getting it. Change oil and oil filter, flush coolant, check/change belts, replace water pump, check/change tensioners/pulleys, fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, spark plug wires, run a bottle of Techron through it, and it doesn't hurt to check the transmission fluid while you're at it. All cheap insurance.

Good luck! The 4cyl Tacos are TANKS. You seriously have to hate the truck for it to give up on you. Reliable and will hold it's value as everyone stated above.

Matt

Products Discussed in

To Top