1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Maintenance Inspection

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by boshak, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Apr 17, 2012 at 10:19 AM
    boshak

boshak [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AG
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 Manual 4x4 5VZ-FE
    There are a lot of write ups and discussion on changing fluids, greasing zerks, changing plugs, cleaning MAF, etc. for regular maintenance.

There is also a list of items that need to be inspected - ball joints, dust covers, brakes, lines, suspension bushings, tie rods, dust seals, steering gear housing oil, and so on. How do you inspect all of these and what do you look for that tells you they've gone bad?

Sorry to be extremely newb but since I'll be doing a lot of my own maintenance, I want to inspect the truck myself.

2. Apr 17, 2012 at 10:27 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Every once in a while I'll drive without the radio to listen for random things squeeking or rubbing. With bearings and bushings, that's a quick way to tell if ones on it's way out or already gone. When you have the front end jacked up, try to shake the wheel without moving the truck to see if there's any play.

Park in the same spot if you can, concrete is best. That way you'll notice if there's an oil colored stain where you park and then you can search for the leak.

Most of the stuff you've listed, when they fail, you'll know it. It'll make a horrible sound that would be tough to ignore. The others, just give a visual inspection. Brake lines (metal) should be leak free, watch for rust eating them away, rubber lines should be flexible and free of cracking.

Products Discussed in

To Top