LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Paint removal off of plastic?

Old 12-20-2008, 08:16 AM   #1
hardtaco will become famous soon enoughhardtaco will become famous soon enough

hardtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Paint removal off of plastic?

I had a painting project go very bad on me. Does anyone know what I could use besides lots of elbow grease and steel wool to remove several layers of paint off of one of my plastic fender flares? Is there something that I could spray on them that would remove the paint, but not damage the plastic? I am going to have the flares Line-X'ed when I get employed again and be done with them.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:23 AM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtaco View Post
I had a painting project go very bad on me. Does anyone know what I could use besides lots of elbow grease and steel wool to remove several layers of paint off of one of my plastic fender flares? Is there something that I could spray on them that would remove the paint, but not damage the plastic? I am going to have the flares Line-X'ed when I get employed again and be done with them.
they have an "aircraft paint stripper" spray at walmart. this stuff will take paint right off.......spray on, an dthe paint will bubble right up. pretty stout stuff. you gotta be careful with it though. cover all areas that you dont want touched. another thing you can use is some paint or laquer thinner and a rag.......should come off fairly easy.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:31 AM   #3
jscott is on a distinguished road
jscott's Tacoma Gallery
I deal with plastic and paint everyday.Any solvent will be bad for plastic especially Aircraft Cleaner.Be alot of work involved to sand it down.Why not just try find another flare?
Old 12-20-2008, 09:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscott View Post
I deal with plastic and paint everyday.Any solvent will be bad for plastic especially Aircraft Cleaner.Be alot of work involved to sand it down.Why not just try find another flare?
Trying to do this as "inexpensive" as I can. The flare is in good condition other than my shitty paint job on it. Sometimes you gotta rely on a "profesional" for certain tasks. That is why when funds permit, I am getting the Line-X sprayed on em, and be done with them for good. Any suggestions on paint removal?
Old 12-21-2008, 01:32 AM   #5
Taco Traitor!
TRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to behold

TRD4x4858's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRD4x4858
What about brake fluid? it takes paint off, will it damage the actual plastic?
Old 12-21-2008, 03:56 AM   #6
UnderWater Monopoly Champion
TicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: F-15 Crew-Chief
Name: Anastatia Beaverhausen
TicTacOma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to TicTacOma
If you are going to Line-X them.....the Line-X people are going to have to prep the flares anyway. Just have them do it. Admit your intentions and have at it. You're painting skills suck as you so admitted, maybe your paint stripping skills are worse and you don't know that yet.

I'm thinking any chemical used to strip paint is in the least going to soften the plastic. Looks like elbow grease and several steps of something abrasive.

Good luck
Old 12-21-2008, 11:44 AM   #7
SRFIVE is a glorious beacon of lightSRFIVE is a glorious beacon of lightSRFIVE is a glorious beacon of lightSRFIVE is a glorious beacon of lightSRFIVE is a glorious beacon of lightSRFIVE is a glorious beacon of light

SRFIVE's Tacoma Gallery
My experience with laquer thinner is that it will eat into the plastic making a worse mess.
Sure you can't just sand and re-paint? Maybe some sandable primer to build up a layer?
Old 12-21-2008, 01:20 PM   #8

Anyone got a front passenger side flare (01-04) that they are willing to part with??? I am not going to try and strip the paint off, in fact I bolted it back on the truck today. When funds permit, I will have them Line-X'ed. It will just have to look Poopy for a while.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:25 PM   #9
TuFF_Taco281 is on a distinguished road

TuFF_Taco281's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtaco View Post
Anyone got a front passenger side flare (01-04) that they are willing to part with??? I am not going to try and strip the paint off, in fact I bolted it back on the truck today. When funds permit, I will have them Line-X'ed. It will just have to look Poopy for a while.
Take a pic so we can all see how poopy it looks. LOL JK.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:36 AM   #10
Zombie Killer
Robbsolid is a name known to allRobbsolid is a name known to allRobbsolid is a name known to allRobbsolid is a name known to allRobbsolid is a name known to allRobbsolid is a name known to all

Air Force:
Robbsolid's Tacoma Gallery
how do you remove the flares?
Old 04-15-2009, 08:46 AM   #11
TX Trill
TEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TEX357's Tacoma Gallery
I was in the same situation, i checked lowes, advanced auto, O'reillys and all the spray on stuff isnt good to plastic so im going to try sanding my problem and would suggest you do the same!
Old 04-15-2009, 10:09 AM   #12
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
if it were me i wouldnt mess with any kinda chemical cleaner id take the flair off of the truck and sand it doen real good with 150 grain sand paper and then again with finer grain sand paper
Old 04-15-2009, 10:30 AM   #13
I smell corn
kilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gophuk Yousef
kilted1117's Tacoma Gallery
Do the other 3 and mirrors and pretend it's supposed to look that way.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:43 AM   #14
mhonda98 is on a distinguished road

mhonda98's Tacoma Gallery
Just curious what kinda of paint did you use?

I have painted cars and motorcycles for ten years and I had to strip alot of toyota bumpers. Sherwin Williams automotive sells a spray can stripper for bumpers. Never used it but I have used strippers on plastic parts before.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:33 PM   #15
blkcoma32 will become famous soon enough

blkcoma32's Tacoma Gallery
I would leave it and let them Line-x over it