1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fuel Tank Strap "Kit" from dealer

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 81CountryGirl, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Apr 21, 2012 at 1:43 PM
    81CountryGirl

81CountryGirl [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kate
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '01 Tacoma 3.4L 5Gear 4x4
    2.5" lift
    Does anyone know what exactly is included in the Fuel Tank Strap Kit from Toyota? I have a busted back strap on my 01 Tacoma and I guess I always assumed that the thing had two straps like anything else. Turns out, it doesn't. The skid plate apears to be at least partially load bearing at the front. One bolt thru the tank and a couple more thru the plate. There's only one "strap" and it's at the back. I remember pricing a strap from Toyota (dealer only part? couldn't find one at the local parts stores) last year and I remember thinking they were crazy and I'd just get one built. Now I'm wondering if the "kit" from Toyota includes the whole plate and that's why it was so expensive? If so it might be less headache to just break down and pay the dealer... anyone ever bought a strap kit from the dealer?

2. Apr 21, 2012 at 3:31 PM
    81CountryGirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Kate
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2.5" lift
    40 views and no replies? Lol. None of ya'll ever ordered tank straps from a dealer? :)

3. Apr 21, 2012 at 5:30 PM
    Rucas

Rucas 1st gen

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Vehicle:
    1st gen. 4x4
    Custom Aluminum Camper
    sorry, nope. never heard of it.
    just give toyota a call?

4. Apr 21, 2012 at 5:40 PM
    Cypherian

Cypherian Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mid Atlantic Region
  5. Apr 21, 2012 at 9:58 PM
    81CountryGirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Kate
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2.5" lift
    I don't remember quite what I got quoted either. I knew at the time that the strap was rotting and should've taken care of it but didn't until it broke. Lol. Problem is that the dealerships parts dept. is closed for the weekend so I can't find out till then. And being in Canada, I can't find any other spot to order the parts from. Thought someone here might know but I guess I just have to suck it up and wait for Toyota to open on Monday! :)

6. Apr 21, 2012 at 10:00 PM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    I have no idea what you're talking about and quite frankly never really looked under my truck for the fuel tank strap, etc...

...but in my old Bronco when I replaced the fuel tank I just bought some perforated aluminum strap and bolted the sucker right up. Total cost for strap was about $10 or $20

7. Apr 21, 2012 at 10:17 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Probably could use water heater straps.

Warning if you use water heater straps and you gas tank falls and blows up a school bus of kids it's not my fault. Or any other mishap.

But i bet it would work really well.

8. Apr 22, 2012 at 1:39 AM
    n0ms

n0ms Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angel
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    1st gen i4 single cab 4x4
    Celica seats, Icon in rear and front with icon ucas, omd leaf springs, deckplate mod, lce header, Tundra brake swap.
    Oh and the kids are on the way to bible camp on a highway overpass .

OP I am glad to live in a limted rust free zone but no way it should be super expensive. If it is then just pick what someone here has suggested .Toyota does like to be funny pricing some items.Remeber I was trying to buy lugnuts for stock alloy tires and they wanted over 220 for 24 lugs.

9. Apr 22, 2012 at 8:03 AM
    Greensystemsgo

Greensystemsgo 1 owner with clean car fox.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirty Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    18 year old black taco...
    Bone Stock.
    Metal banding would probably work.

10. Apr 23, 2012 at 7:27 AM
    81CountryGirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Kate
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2.5" lift
    Thanks guys, I think I'm going to build one myself like you all suggest, will be cheaper for sure. I managed to get thru to Toyota this morning. Apparently midway thru the production year for 2001 Tacomas they changed the setup for the tanks in these trucks. The first half of the year they used two straps, the second half (my truck) they used this one strap setup with the front of the tank bolted solid thru the skid plate. My new issue is that they want $494 for the skid which is highway robbery imo. So I'm back to the "build it" drawing board and I may as well do the strap while I'm at it! Was looking forward to having the truck out next weekend at the Pollett River Run here but it's not looking good :(

11. Apr 23, 2012 at 8:02 AM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    81CountryGirl,

I would think that galvanized strapping like is used for heating ducts would work just fine. I would try to use two straps if you can.

You may try and have a metal shop make you a fuel tank skid plate. If you can measure and draw it, they can make it. I know they would be cheaper than the dealer price of $494.

The skid plate on my 04 rusted and broke as well. So I recall a little about what you are saying.

12. Apr 23, 2012 at 11:07 AM
    81CountryGirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Kate
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2.5" lift
    Yes, this is becoming a pain in the rear... perhaps if I'd done more than just "considered" replacing the strap last year when I saw that it was getting seedy I wouldn't be in this spot tho, lol. Filled 'er up and hit the trail only to have the strap let go and the back of the tank bounce off the trail a few times. No holes in the tank (thank god, that's another $700 and a different story!) but the entire back of the skid is swiss cheese, you could throw a small dog through it anywhere. The front part where it bolts to thru the tank edge to the crossmember type thing is good so I'm considering welding a piece onto the back end or reinforcing it to get me through the weekend. Thanks all for your advice, I'm def. going to be fabbing something myself rather than pay dealer prices!

13. Apr 23, 2012 at 1:04 PM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    Don't half ass it sometimes when you try and save a buck you never come out ahead.
    Metal banding may eat into the tank in the long run. Call a few salvage yards and see what they can do for you.

Products Discussed in

To Top