Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Dumb Question re: Front End Swap

Old 04-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Dumb Question re: Front End Swap

So I'm more than likely going to swap a 95-97 front end onto my 1998.

One thing I am wondering, and here comes the dumb question:

Would it affect my MPGs much at all?

My 1998 has a very aerodynamic front end compared to the 95-97 which has recessed headlight assemblies. Not to mention the bumper and valence on my 1998 seems a little more rounded than the 95-97's which seems more straight/square

I really like getting 20-21 mpg with my V6... wondering if it will have any effect?

Thanks for entertaining my idiocy

Old 04-23-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
I would not think so, now I love the front end on mine, (but the headlights are a royal pain in the ass) and in reality pick-ups are a brick. And when you raise them..... how many jack-up trucks are on the nascar truck circut?
i would check out the mpg est. on the 95.5-97 and compare to yours maybe that would give you an idea. and remember those used to be done under the very best of conditions.... skinny driver, one gallon of gas in tank, no washer fluid ect.......... and if I remember a read from motor trend, they would take off the spare, jack, stuff like that. now that was years ago, don't know and would wonder if they ever tightened up..... thats what lobbyist get paid to do.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:39 PM   #3
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
If mpgs are your concern, then the 01-04 deff have a sleeker style
I would never want my truck to be that ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
You need to focus on aquiring the parts than this nonsense
lol... I'm beginning to get on it.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertgeejr1 View Post
I would not think so, now I love the front end on mine, (but the headlights are a royal pain in the ass)
Can you explain?
Old 04-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

well changing the light bulbs, (I have not upgraded mine yet) when i got her one was burned out, and you have to take off the grill and remove the chrome ring to replace the headlights. they are the "old fashion types, I had to clean out the cobwebs to do it, it had been a long time since I had worked on that type.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:18 PM   #6
Swerve for nothing
saundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
saundern's Tacoma Gallery
question: why the swap?
Old 04-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #7
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
If it does it wont be very much. I got about 23 MPGs when my truck was stock
Old 04-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #8
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by saundern View Post
He drools over the 95.5-97 body style all the time lol
Old 04-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #9

Quote:
well changing the light bulbs, (I have not upgraded mine yet) when i got her one was burned out, and you have to take off the grill and remove the chrome ring to replace the headlights. they are the "old fashion types, I had to clean out the cobwebs to do it, it had been a long time since I had worked on that type.
Well that sounds crappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by saundern View Post
Pure aesthetics. The 95-97 is a badass looking front end IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOMABOSS View Post
If it does it wont be very much. I got about 23 MPGs when my truck was stock
4-banger?

Quote:
He drools over the 95.5-97 body style all the time lol
This ^
Old 04-23-2012, 06:29 PM   #10
Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
4-banger?
No. 3.4L V6
Old 04-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #11

Quote:
No. 3.4L V6
Damn dude. 23 mpg is great.

Hopefully I get that gain when I make the swap
Old 04-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #12
Lube: It's the key to penetration.
STLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Charlotte VRS: EMT/Driver
Name: Harry
STLharry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You can solve this by getting the IPF H4 conversion lenses. I have them and they are nice. There's definitely other brands, too, but I like my ARB.

Quote:
Pure aesthetics. The 95-97 is a badass looking front end IMO
Yes, yes it is. That's mostly why I did my front end swap.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #13

well did not mean to put you off about the lights, the modern replacements will last for a very, very long time, when compared to when i was 16, and there are some good write ups about upgrading to a H4 bulb, which will be easier to replace and more light, I just have more important things on the truck to do, lights work right now, so they are way down on the list.
I like the looks of my tuck, what I really like is the fact that it is a Toyota, (sorry had my fill of Fords) and its mine, if I had come across any 1st gen 5sp, no matter the style I would have bought it.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLharry View Post
You can solve this by getting the IPF H4 conversion lenses. I have them and they are nice. There's definitely other brands, too, but I like my ARB.

STLHarry... The God of Swap

$39.99 conversion lenses?

That thing (I'm googling)
Old 04-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #15

Quote:
well did not mean to put you off about the lights, the modern replacements will last for a very, very long time, when compared to when i was 16, and there are some good write ups about upgrading to a H4 bulb, which will be easier to replace and more light, I just have more important things on the truck to do, lights work right now, so they are way down on the list.
I like the looks of my tuck, what I really like is the fact that it is a Toyota, (sorry had my fill of Fords) and its mine, if I had come across any 1st gen 5sp, no matter the style I would have bought it.
Yeah, in reality I'm hoping to do the front end swap soon...

...but if I'm going to spend money for all the parts I might just put it towards sliders

We'll see.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:39 PM   #16
Lube: It's the key to penetration.
STLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Charlotte VRS: EMT/Driver
Name: Harry
STLharry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Why thank you...hahah. I always seem to find the conversion threads whenever they pop up.
These are what I mean, and that's where I bought them from for my 96 truck a few years ago.

For parts, check out Yota Yard. They are in Denver somewhere. They seem to have a lot of pickup stuff...but maybe there's a few Tacos in there too. They are also close enough to Boulder that if they had a hood and/or grille you could buzz down there and get it.

There are also grilles on Rockauto for less than $40.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Why thank you...hahah. I always seem to find the conversion threads whenever they pop up.
These are what I mean, and that's where I bought them from for my 96 truck a few years ago.

For parts, check out Yota Yard. They are in Denver somewhere. They seem to have a lot of pickup stuff...but maybe there's a few Tacos in there too. They are also close enough to Boulder that if they had a hood and/or grille you could buzz down there and get it.

There are also grilles on Rockauto for less than $40.
Thought you said I wouldn't need a hood

I'm a 98, not an 01-04

Thanks for the headlight link... sadly I have no idea what an H4 bulb is, but I'll take your word for it that it's better to have these assemblies
Old 04-23-2012, 09:56 PM   #18
mizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mac
mizzac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Roundeyes.com

Pricier but sooooo worth it. i have them and they are the conventional beam.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:21 AM   #19

Halogen headlight bulb, the more modern screw in type. easy to change, but always wear a pair of cheap disposable latex gloves (new pair) you don't ever want to touch the glass end of bulb because dirt, human skin oil, on the surface of bulb will cook, and destroy the bulb.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:18 AM   #20
MY NAME ISN'T WILL
STiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt [again, not WILL]
STiLL WILL's Tacoma Gallery
Short answer to OP's original question: more than likely no.

As you acquire parts for this swap(awesome btw!), as mentioned earlier in this thread, you should DEFINITELY look into some H4 conversion headlights for the 95-97 swap. Ebay or Roundeyes.com

Simply put: changing an H4 BULB > changing a whole damn sealed headlight.
Also already mentioned is how much of a PITA it is to do a headlight swap AFTER everything is put together. The grill needs to be taken out or loosened significantly and then the metal ring/trim piece needs to be separated from the headlight casing.

Long story short: buy H4 conversion headlights before you install the swap.

Here is my 95.5 Tacoma w/H4 diamond crystal headlight conversion from Ebay. I am running Sylvania ZXE H4 bulbs and the look + visibility is night and day compared to old sealed style headlights.

Goodluck!