Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Question Regarding High Angle CV Boots

Old 04-27-2012, 08:04 AM   #1
Tacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
Tacomadude89's Tacoma Gallery
Question Regarding High Angle CV Boots

So I am planning on replacing my stock CV boots with a set of high angle design.

My question is, I can only find the ones that are listed for the outer. Is the outer boot considered the one closest to the differential? The ones that I will be replacing are the upper ones (the ones closest to the diff) and need to if these are the ones that will work. http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/index...and-clamp.html

If it's vice versa instead and the uppers are actually considered the inners, where can I find the high angle/long travel boots that fit the inners? Or, maybe these aftermarket type fit both sides. I wish I knew more here.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure but outer would mean to me the closest to the wheel. Inner the differential.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #5
Tacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
c'mon SAS, please...
If it were only that easy.

Thanks guys.

Do any of you know by chance of a place to buy the inner high angle boots then? Honestly, all of the places that I've been able to find so far that sell these list them as the outer which I think is a little strange considering the fact that most of the problems occur with the upper boots instead, so you'd think the market for them would be for those instead. Anyway, until then, I'll keep on researching my options.

Thanks again guys.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #6
RTO
FailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
FailRated's Tacoma Gallery
The inners are definitely the problem as you said. My truck still has the original outers and they look great but the inners are hurting. Did you consider doing the boot slide mod? People seem to be having good luck with that.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FailRated View Post
The inners are definitely the problem as you said. My truck still has the original outers and they look great but the inners are hurting. Did you consider doing the boot slide mod? People seem to be having good luck with that.
Yup, I did the boot slide mod as well.

Like you said though, I don't seem to understand why the market for them is for the lowers when the problem mainly occurs on the uppers. I've already called two different places who told me the only carry the lowers and that they do not know of any places that sell high angle inners.

Anyway, after a bit more research I think I found what I'm looking for. Northwest Offroad has kit that supplies both upper and lower that are supposed to handle a higher angle better than stock from what they say due to the material. When I install them, I will do the boot slide mod to them as well. Looks like the kit also comes with grease so I can re-pack the cv's at the time of service.

The kit is listed 3/4" of the way down the page,

http://www.northwestoffroad.com/part...drivetrain.php
Old 04-27-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomadude89 View Post
Yup, I did the boot slide mod as well.

Like you said though, I don't seem to understand why the market for them is for the lowers when the problem mainly occurs on the uppers. I've already called two different places who told me the only carry the lowers and that they do not know of any places that sell high angle inners.

Anyway, after a bit more research I think I found what I'm looking for. Northwest Offroad has kit that supplies both upper and lower that are supposed to handle a higher angle better than stock from what they say due to the material. When I install them, I will do the boot slide mod to them as well. Looks like the kit also comes with grease so I can re-pack the cv's at the time of service.

The kit is listed 3/4" of the way down the page,

http://www.northwestoffroad.com/part...drivetrain.php
Have you called and got prices on these?
Old 04-27-2012, 03:23 PM   #10
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
They're closed Fridays and Mondays so I'll have to try back on Tuesday.
I would like to know, keep me updated.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:51 AM   #15
..Slingin' up mud and we're scarying off bunnies..
186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Charles
186000mps's Tacoma Gallery
^ I bought the 930 CV Bates, MRB-869306, but it was round inside, not the tri lobe needed for the top of the axle. I meant to return it but never got around to it. Which part number have you had success with?
Old 04-28-2012, 05:26 AM   #16
RacerP will become famous soon enough
RacerP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 186000mps View Post
^ I bought the 930 CV Bates, MRB-869306, but it was round inside, not the tri lobe needed for the top of the axle. I meant to return it but never got around to it. Which part number have you had success with?
I am curious to know which 930 boot is correct as well. Got a set of Advance Auto CV's on there now and would like to rebuild my factory ones.

I don't know how Kartek's prices are but, in Porsche circles, Pelican is one of the best suppliers of parts.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...SUSaxl_pg1.htm
Old 04-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Which part number have you had success with?
+1.

I was reading that some of the Tundra guys run these, but I couldn't identify whether or not they sold them for the Tacomas as well. I would assume both vehicles would have different part #'s. Some were reporting that they didn't have a tight fit. http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...-fit-question/
Old 04-28-2012, 01:21 PM   #18
aka Senor Tacorojo
EL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: CORY
EL ROJO's Tacoma Gallery
Will the part # I run is for the tundra shafts. I'm running tundra cv axles cuz the burg LT kit. I'm sure someone could get the diameter of Tacoma and the tundra shafts, not sure on difference. Mine fit nice and snug no clamp necessary. If u want part # I'll find it.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:28 PM   #19

Thanks for the info Cory! I'll do a little more research on the 930 type and let you know if I have any other questions.

Thanks again.

Quote:
I bought the 930 CV Bates, MRB-869306, but it was round inside, not the tri lobe needed for the top of the axle.
I've noticed that in the description of a lot of these aftermarket boots, that it requires you to cut off the end of the original boot (the part the large clamp goes around), and then the new boot slides over the flange of the cut OE boot if that makes sense.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #20
aka Senor Tacorojo
EL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: CORY
EL ROJO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for the info Cory! I'll do a little more research on the 930 type and let you know if I have any other questions.

Thanks again.

I've noticed that in the description of a lot of these aftermarket boots, that it requires you to cut off the end of the original boot (the part the large clamp goes around), and then the new boot slides over the flange of the cut OE boot if that makes sense.
Yes that's what I did to get more GNARticulation, but for mid travel u would mount it there but leave old flange. I wouldn't think it cause an issue if ur not over articulating