Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Led 3rd light advice

Old 12-21-2008, 06:11 PM   #1
What if God Smoked Cannabis
Bassetdad has much to be proud ofBassetdad has much to be proud ofBassetdad has much to be proud ofBassetdad has much to be proud ofBassetdad has much to be proud ofBassetdad has much to be proud ofBassetdad has much to be proud ofBassetdad has much to be proud ofBassetdad has much to be proud ofBassetdad has much to be proud of

Bassetdad's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to Bassetdad Send a message via AIM to Bassetdad Send a message via Yahoo to Bassetdad
Led 3rd light advice

Hi Everybody,

Now that the question is over what Toyota is going to do with my rusty frame.
I'm going to celebrate and purchase a few items. How hard is it to install a led 3rd light into a 2001 SR5?

The second item I'm going to purchase is a URD quick shifter.

Thanks again for all of your positive advice.

Bassetdad
Old 12-21-2008, 07:04 PM   #2
NewEnglander
krlang is on a distinguished road

krlang's Tacoma Gallery
The two screws are to remove the cover. (Lense)
The light is held in by two nuts that are inside the headliner.
I pulled mine out to wire up my Sirius antenna.

Dont forget that LED's are "Monocromatic".
Dont put a red LED in a red Lense!
Old 12-21-2008, 08:45 PM   #3
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Actually you want to put red LEDs behind a red lens. Ripped from the superbrightleds.com website:

Which Color LEDs should I use ?
For best results the LED color should be the same as the lens color. As an example: a red lens will filter out all but the red portion of the light so if the light is all red, none or very little light will be blocked by the lens. The light from a White LED contains very little light in the red portion of the visible spectrum so most of the light would be filtered out by a red lens.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:13 AM   #4
CVP71 is on a distinguished road
CVP71's Tacoma Gallery
Where can I get an LED 3rd brake light for a 2004 Taco SR5 PreRunner? Is it worth the money? I've a lot of stuff on a coouple of other forums about LEDs.

Thanks!
Old 12-22-2008, 12:20 AM   #5
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

You'll need the 194 or 168 bulbs and you can get them at superbrightleds.com, but I prefer to get them from this ebay seller.

http://search.stores.ebay.com/warden...019414QQsofpZ0
Old 12-22-2008, 12:32 AM   #6
CVP71's Tacoma Gallery
[quote=humanoid;293656]You'll need the 194 or 168 bulbs and you can get them at superbrightleds.com, but I prefer to get them from this ebay seller.

http://search.stores.ebay.com/warden...pZ0[/quote]

Thanks for the link. Are the LEDs worth the money for the 3rd brake light?
Old 12-22-2008, 09:06 AM   #7
bite me

It's up to you, if you like it, then get it, I'd say it's personal preference. LEDs light up a tad quicker than the regular bulbs, not sure exactly how much faster though.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:58 AM   #8
CVP71's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
It's up to you, if you like it, then get it, I'd say it's personal preference. LEDs light up a tad quicker than the regular bulbs, not sure exactly how much faster though.
Yea, I've read alot of different views on using LEDs. They seemed to be very mixed and no concensus whether they are brighter or better than incandescent. The web site does plainly state the LEDs are not as bright.

Thanks, humanoid!
Old 12-22-2008, 11:39 AM   #9
bite me

If you go with the 1w ones in the link provided, they are hella bright IMO.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:52 PM   #10
CVP71's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
If you go with the 1w ones in the link provided, they are hella bright IMO.
Sweet!