1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clicking Starter

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Pat Masac, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Apr 29, 2012 at 8:24 AM
    Pat Masac

Pat Masac [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Beaumont, TX
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma V6 2WD
    Hey all,

It's been a while since I've been here but I've always had good luck getting help and that is rare when you drive a Tacoma!

I've got a 1995 with a V6, automatic/2WD with almost 320,000 miles on it. Recently, when I go to start it it will click a instead of starting. If I rotate the key a few times it finally "grabs" and starts. This happens intermittently- sometimes it fires right off. I had the battery checked and the starter checked at Autozone and they say they are both fine. The connections to the battery are clean. I'm thinking it may be the solenoid on the starter. Any of you guys have an idea what may be happening here?

Thanks.

2. Apr 29, 2012 at 8:25 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Best way to check if its the battery is: Hook jumpers up to another vehicle. If it starts right up, you have a bad battery. The tests at Auto Zone arent tthat accurate.

3. Apr 29, 2012 at 8:26 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    sounds like the starter is going bad, or the connections with the battery are worn and loose. Don't trust autozone with the starter testing, they were wrong about my corolla starter being good.

4. Apr 29, 2012 at 8:31 AM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    need better info. What is "clicking" you speak of? If the starter and battery are strong, then you have worn out teeth on the ring gear of your flywheel. Usually it makes a grinding noise.That will suck to repair. They wear in one of four general locations on the ring gear. It starts fine when you are NOT in one of those positions.
    This all depends on what "clicking " means and that the starter and battery are in fact, fine. Good luck.

5. Apr 29, 2012 at 8:53 AM
    Pat Masac

Pat Masac [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Beaumont, TX
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma V6 2WD
    No, it's not a grinding sound. It's clicking from the starter like when the battery is going bad.

I'm agreeing with you guys on the AZ battery/starter check. I'm a bit suspicious of their "starter" check especially. When I get the time I'm going to change the battery cables- they are 17 years old.

6. Apr 29, 2012 at 9:06 AM
    tlh178

tlh178 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    terry
    lake huron/sag bay
    Vehicle:
    2012 4WD reg cab/ 02 SR5 Prerunner/07 FJC 4WD
    more then likely your starter needs to be replaced. i had the same problem on my 02 taco w/ 290k on it. replaced it all is well, should be good for another 10 yrs i hope.

7. Apr 29, 2012 at 9:10 AM
    Afwrestler1986

Afwrestler1986 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Gray wire, Some lights in the bed area, and some character marks throughout.
    I would start with the solenoid. Long time for those contactors be working.

8. Apr 29, 2012 at 9:49 AM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    The auto zone checkers are worthless. I had mine checked and they said it was good, then took it to a real shop where they isolated it and checked it and found out it was toast. Your problem sounds just like a failing starter. Take it to a real mechanic shop and have em test it to be sure, but I'm pretty positive you will be buying a new starter pretty soon.

9. Apr 29, 2012 at 12:06 PM
    shampoop

shampoop Well-Known Member

Member:
    southwest WA
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma extracab v6 auto trd offroad 4x4
  10. Apr 29, 2012 at 7:21 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Very common problem and fix with our Toyotas.
    I've just replaced the contacts, thats what came in
    the 'rebuild kit' ( about $20 ), where a starter is in the hundreds.

11. Apr 29, 2012 at 7:26 PM
    ppham444

ppham444 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phuong
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2023 White TRD Off-Road doublecab
    Yeah, I had the click thing happen. Your starter contacts are wearing out. Get one of these starter contact rebuild kits and go from there.
    [​IMG]

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  12. Apr 29, 2012 at 7:50 PM
    Pat Masac

Pat Masac [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Beaumont, TX
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma V6 2WD
    Thanks for your help. I'll hope it gets me to work until next weekend when I get time to fix it. The cables look okay after I inspected them.

I'm hoping for 500,000 before having to buy a new Tacoma. I still have my service schedule book and completed my 75th oil change a couple of weeks back. No finer truck has ever been made.

13. Apr 30, 2012 at 11:24 AM
    Hillingdoner

Hillingdoner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    95 LX xtracab 3.4L 4x4 5spd
    140 amp Cadillac alternator, Audio system in progress, 4Runner map light mirror conversion, foot well lamp addition, buckets and console from 99 Tacoma regular cab, big three, tint
    Probably starter related, but would not hurt to double check the ground from the engine to the chassis. Make sure it is clean metal and tight. Also, if you have oil leaks that are getting down to the starter that can cause you an issue as you could add resistance to the ground. I'd also double check the wire connection to the solenoid itself. Just coming from my experience, but on my v6, someone removing the starter nicely broke the retaining clip on the solenoid wire plug. Had a loose connection there that I had to fix.
    Just quick things to look at. As previously posted it does sound like a starter issue, but being as cheap as I am I always look for zero cost fixes first lol.

14. May 1, 2012 at 7:04 AM
    SEJohnson

SEJohnson New Member

Member:
    Columbus, IN
    Vehicle:
    1998 SR5 4x4 2.7L 5 spd
    Yeah man, go down the starter contact trail. Try Googling 'Toyota Tacoma starter contact problem'... There's threads all over describing your exact issue...

I'm researching the same thing now as I'm having the same problem on my 1998 2.7L. Been researching off and on for several weeks now. Starter contacts is the most accurate diagnosis for this... Don't bother with the stripped flywheel... That's a bogus diagnosis based off your description. And, in agreement with the other posters, a whole starter is more $$$ than trying the contacts.

Finally purchasing contacts today as my truck will no longer crank.... Only click after click. :mad:

15. May 5, 2012 at 1:16 PM
    Pat Masac

Pat Masac [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Beaumont, TX
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma V6 2WD
    I agree. My dad had the truck before I did and the contacts have been changed once (about 150,000 miles ago). I thought I could get by for a while but the problem is getting bad so I ordered the kit from Ebay today (Saturday). I'm hoping it gets here by next weekend so I can tear off into the truck. The kit I ordered comes with replacement boots, gaskets, etc. When it arrives I'll let you all know if it was a good buy. Cost 32 bucks shipped.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top