Notices

Clicking Starter

Old 04-29-2012, 08:24 AM   #1
Pat Masac is on a distinguished road
Name: Patrick
Pat Masac's Tacoma Gallery
Clicking Starter

Hey all,

It's been a while since I've been here but I've always had good luck getting help and that is rare when you drive a Tacoma!

I've got a 1995 with a V6, automatic/2WD with almost 320,000 miles on it. Recently, when I go to start it it will click a instead of starting. If I rotate the key a few times it finally "grabs" and starts. This happens intermittently- sometimes it fires right off. I had the battery checked and the starter checked at Autozone and they say they are both fine. The connections to the battery are clean. I'm thinking it may be the solenoid on the starter. Any of you guys have an idea what may be happening here?

Thanks.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Best way to check if its the battery is: Hook jumpers up to another vehicle. If it starts right up, you have a bad battery. The tests at Auto Zone arent tthat accurate.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:26 AM   #3
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like the starter is going bad, or the connections with the battery are worn and loose. Don't trust autozone with the starter testing, they were wrong about my corolla starter being good.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.
Leggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Leggo's Tacoma Gallery
need better info. What is "clicking" you speak of? If the starter and battery are strong, then you have worn out teeth on the ring gear of your flywheel. Usually it makes a grinding noise.That will suck to repair. They wear in one of four general locations on the ring gear. It starts fine when you are NOT in one of those positions.
This all depends on what "clicking " means and that the starter and battery are in fact, fine. Good luck.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:53 AM   #5
No, it's not a grinding sound. It's clicking from the starter like when the battery is going bad.

I'm agreeing with you guys on the AZ battery/starter check. I'm a bit suspicious of their "starter" check especially. When I get the time I'm going to change the battery cables- they are 17 years old.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
tlh178 is on a distinguished road
Name: terry
tlh178's Tacoma Gallery
more then likely your starter needs to be replaced. i had the same problem on my 02 taco w/ 290k on it. replaced it all is well, should be good for another 10 yrs i hope.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:10 AM   #7
Afwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: B-52 Crew Chief/ Ground Radio MX/ LC-
Name: Matt
Afwrestler1986's Tacoma Gallery
I would start with the solenoid. Long time for those contactors be working.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #8
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
The auto zone checkers are worthless. I had mine checked and they said it was good, then took it to a real shop where they isolated it and checked it and found out it was toast. Your problem sounds just like a failing starter. Take it to a real mechanic shop and have em test it to be sure, but I'm pretty positive you will be buying a new starter pretty soon.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
shampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud of
shampoop's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZYHtMaMuMg
Old 04-29-2012, 07:21 PM   #10
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Very common problem and fix with our Toyotas.
I've just replaced the contacts, thats what came in
the 'rebuild kit' ( about $20 ), where a starter is in the hundreds.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:26 PM   #11
ppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phuong
ppham444's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tan4x4 View Post
Very common problem and fix with our Toyotas.
I've just replaced the contacts, thats what came in
the 'rebuild kit' ( about $20 ), where a starter is in the hundreds.
Yeah, I had the click thing happen. Your starter contacts are wearing out. Get one of these starter contact rebuild kits and go from there.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #12
Thanks for your help. I'll hope it gets me to work until next weekend when I get time to fix it. The cables look okay after I inspected them.

I'm hoping for 500,000 before having to buy a new Tacoma. I still have my service schedule book and completed my 75th oil change a couple of weeks back. No finer truck has ever been made.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #13
Hillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant future

Hillingdoner's Tacoma Gallery
Probably starter related, but would not hurt to double check the ground from the engine to the chassis. Make sure it is clean metal and tight. Also, if you have oil leaks that are getting down to the starter that can cause you an issue as you could add resistance to the ground. I'd also double check the wire connection to the solenoid itself. Just coming from my experience, but on my v6, someone removing the starter nicely broke the retaining clip on the solenoid wire plug. Had a loose connection there that I had to fix.
Just quick things to look at. As previously posted it does sound like a starter issue, but being as cheap as I am I always look for zero cost fixes first lol.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:04 AM   #14
SEJohnson is on a distinguished road
SEJohnson's Tacoma Gallery
My vote: starter contacts

Yeah man, go down the starter contact trail. Try Googling 'Toyota Tacoma starter contact problem'... There's threads all over describing your exact issue...

I'm researching the same thing now as I'm having the same problem on my 1998 2.7L. Been researching off and on for several weeks now. Starter contacts is the most accurate diagnosis for this... Don't bother with the stripped flywheel... That's a bogus diagnosis based off your description. And, in agreement with the other posters, a whole starter is more $$$ than trying the contacts.

Finally purchasing contacts today as my truck will no longer crank.... Only click after click.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:16 PM   #15
I agree. My dad had the truck before I did and the contacts have been changed once (about 150,000 miles ago). I thought I could get by for a while but the problem is getting bad so I ordered the kit from Ebay today (Saturday). I'm hoping it gets here by next weekend so I can tear off into the truck. The kit I ordered comes with replacement boots, gaskets, etc. When it arrives I'll let you all know if it was a good buy. Cost 32 bucks shipped.