Notices

96 3.4L P0133 Trouble code...

Old 04-29-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
raydogg30 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Security Forces
raydogg30's Tacoma Gallery
96 3.4L P0133 Trouble code...

Hey everyone,
I'm new to the forum and thought I'd post yet another thread on the wonderful O2 sensor trouble code.

My truck has been wonderful, I take care of it and change the oil every 3k.
In the last month I have replaced an alternator, power steering pump, (both belts along with each), and I just replaced my radiator.
I was driving on the highway three days ago and my truck had a hesitation in 5th gear...it corrected itself, but continued to hesitate...then fix itself.
Two days ago I went on the same route, ended up bogging down in 5th gear, had to shift to 4th....it bogged down in 4th, so I hit 3rd and floored it...it cleared it out, and ran like a top...but 4th and 5th now are really sluggish gears until it "fixes itself".
I have since changed my oil, used a can of seafoam in the fuel tank, Changed my plugs and plug wires (correct wiring) fixed a leak in the fitting connecting the air box to the throttle body, cleaned the throttle body and the MAF (twice). I then proceeded to drive up and inclined hill (nothing crazy, but it was an inclined paved road) and my tacoma almost died in 1st gear...
My check engine light came on (first time ever on this truck for me)
Yesterday (still having the loss of power problem) I attempted to remove and clean my 02 sensors. I snapped off one of the threads...fml...and was only able to get one nut off of each of the 02 sensors (the upstream sensor still has a nut that will not unscrew from the thread...its backed out to the top of the thread, but will not separate. My friend loaned me his OBD II, so I connected the 02 sensors back to the exhaust with two nylock nuts for a quick fix for a diagnostic.
I ran the OBD II this morning and it reported a code of P0133.
I ordered upstream and downstream Denso 02 sensors, and HOPE SOMEONE HAS SOME ADVICE!
I am moving from Oregon, back to Texas (supposed to have yesterday, but the truck is holding my move)...so I'm in a hurry, 2nd day air for the sensors...etc. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

-Ray
Old 04-29-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Check for upstreak exhaust leaks, cracked manifold. It is most likely o2 sensor.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
I forgot to mention that I've already checked (looked at) my manifolds, nothing seems to be suspect. I'm really hoping this problem is strictly the 02 sensor! Thank you for the reply, I'll be sure to post and tell if my problem is fixed with the 02 sensor swap. Anyone or anything else?

-Ray
Old 04-30-2012, 12:37 PM   #4
Anyone else? (still waiting for my 2nd day air Denso 02 sensors....
Old 05-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #5
I change the fuel filter today, doesn't seem to have had much effect, if any. 02 sensors will be here tomorrow, I'll post after they are installed... Does anyone know if these sensors being bad would cause my truck to lose HP in the mid RPM?
The truck went from being the best 3.4 motor, to a piece of $h(#. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:01 AM   #6
DOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Daniel
DOUBLLD's Tacoma Gallery
Clogged cats usually stalls vehicles but idk not there to really help diag
Old 05-02-2012, 11:44 PM   #7
I don't have a cat on my tacoma. It has been removed since 99 I believe. Never had a problem with anything until this last week. It's been a perfect truck.
Update on the sensors: Rock Auto sent me the wrong sensors (for a 2000-2004). Went to the local NAPA, purchased the downstream Denso they had in stock and installed it, and purchased the upstream Denso (will be here at 9:30AM) tomorrow. Lets hope It makes a difference.
Has anyone ever heard of an 02 sensor retarding the engine so it doesn't blow? I seriously feel like my truck has lost 50hp when going up hills, or in the 4-5th gear range...
Old 05-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #8
Replaced the 02 sensor today, seems to have fixed the problem completely. I ran some seafoam through my vacuum lines today and into the intake, she smoked nice n' white for a few minutes, then seemed to thank me by running better than ever. Hope anyone who has any symptoms like my truck was having finds this thread helpful. In the end it was a bad "upstream" 02 sensor causing the lack of power. Goodluck.

-Ray
Old 05-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #9
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vin
SCSPerformance's Tacoma Gallery
glad you got it fixed. on another note, i had my cat stolen a few months ago and besides dealing with the deafening drone, it lost a lot of low end torque. once i installed a new cat, it felt a lot more responsive. have you thought about adding a hi-flow cat on there?
Old 05-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #10
I actually haven't. I bought the truck without the cat on it, (and I had a 22RE without a cat and both trucks seem to work fine without one. I may check into it though. Who'd you go through for you cat? What was the cost? Thanks.

-Ray
Old 05-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #11
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vin
SCSPerformance's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by raydogg30 View Post
I actually haven't. I bought the truck without the cat on it, (and I had a 22RE without a cat and both trucks seem to work fine without one. I may check into it though. Who'd you go through for you cat? What was the cost? Thanks.

-Ray
i added a magnaflow hi-flow cat. i picked one up for $70 and welded it in.