Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How Many Miles On Brakes?

Old 04-29-2012, 07:43 PM   #1
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
How Many Miles On Brakes?

I just want to know how many miles others have gotten out of a set of front brakes. I live where there are a LOT of hills, at least half are steep. I do the downshift (auto) on hills to help the brakes. I also, however, am one of those people who actually makes a complete stop at every stopsign. One of my pet peeves.
I got 41,458 miles out of the original set of fronts. But only 28,716mi on set two, 17,630mi on set three, and am about to get a 4th set tomorrow morning AGAIN. This current set only gave me 16596 miles
Why do I get the feeling Toyota is using crappy brake pads?

BTW still have the original rears at 104,000mi.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
I just want to know how many miles others have gotten out of a set of front brakes. I live where there are a LOT of hills, at least half are steep. I do the downshift (auto) on hills to help the brakes. I also, however, am one of those people who actually makes a complete stop at every stopsign. One of my pet peeves.
I got 41,458 miles out of the original set of fronts. But only 28,716mi on set two, 17,630mi on set three, and am about to get a 4th set tomorrow morning AGAIN. This current set only gave me 16596 miles
Why do I get the feeling Toyota is using crappy brake pads?

BTW still have the original rears at 104,000mi.
80K miles on OEM fronts and 180K on what I assume are the stock rears.
I have a 5 speed though.
Autos are just harder on the brakes.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TherealScuba View Post
80K miles on OEM fronts and 180K on what I assume are the stock rears.
I have a 5 speed though.
Autos are just harder on the brakes.
Pads are very inexpensive, and easy to replace.
I don't see a problem, so long as the front brakes work well.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yeah I have a disability so I'm unable to do my own. So a front brake job is $300 a pop. I think those pads should last at least as long as the originals did.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:34 AM   #6
dtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant future

Name: Darrell
dtopgun515's Tacoma Gallery
I got about 140,000 out of the front brakes, I replaced them way before they needed to be done because I had the time and money to do it one weekend. I bought the new pads from Toyota so I hope they last as long as the last set. Never done anything to the rear. Its flat where I live, i'm sure that helps.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:56 AM   #7
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I live where there are a LOT of hills, at least half are steep. I do the downshift (auto) on hills to help the brakes. I also, however, am one of those people who actually makes a complete stop at every stopsign.

I think my living situation is EXACTLY as yours. I live in Texas Hill Country, and every single day I have to drive both out and back in through at least 25-30 miles of roadway with constant hills, steep climbs, and steep drops. I have a 2003 DC. Ironically lol I just got my front brakes done last week at 108K miles. I believe I got just under 40K miles from this last set. They actually said the rears weren't too bad, it was only the fronts. They also said the hills takes a toll on those pads and just kills them quickly. Also I had this service (replaced front pads and rotors, and put new brake fluid in) done at AAMCO from a trusted mechanic I know, not done at Toyota. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do since you live in the hills.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:22 AM   #8
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
A couple people mention not doing anything to the rear while wondering why the fronts are loosing life quickly.... I would examine the rear brakes and make sure they are adjusted properly. Since they are approx 20% of your braking I think they may need some attention.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:29 AM   #9
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^GREAT point. I failed too mention that my the mechanic also said that the rears did need adjusting, and that was causing the rears to not work at their peak, also in turn placing more of the work load on the front causing them to wear quicker. So they did adjust the rears as well and replaced the entire front. Since they were already there they also adjusted the parking brake cable, no more trying the push the parking brake in to make the light go off!
Old 04-30-2012, 08:48 AM   #10
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah I have a disability so I'm unable to do my own. So a front brake job is $300 a pop.
Sorry, didn't realize that was an issue, most guys on this
forum do their own work, to save money.

$300 is too much for just pads.
New dealership pads are around $80, and it should not take more
than an hours labor for a pro to change them out.
I would shop around for a different shop to do them.
Use good quality pads, though (get them at the dealership).
Pads are very routine and easy to do. Just about any shop
can do American and Japanese front brakes, they all have the
same basic design. Nothing unique about Toyota.
Labor should not be more than $100, it seems to me.

Good luck
Old 04-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #11

Quote:
$300 is too much for just pads.
Quote:
So a front brake job is $300 a pop.
I paid $300 for new front pads AND new rotors and new brake fluid. If anyone is charging you $300 for just pads, you're getting screwed royally.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:13 PM   #12
TallTacoma is a splendid one to beholdTallTacoma is a splendid one to beholdTallTacoma is a splendid one to beholdTallTacoma is a splendid one to beholdTallTacoma is a splendid one to beholdTallTacoma is a splendid one to beholdTallTacoma is a splendid one to behold

Army: FiSTers bring it fast and hard!
Name: Charles
TallTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
107,xxx on the original pads. The majority of the miles are highway and I like to coast and or use the engine to brake (Manual Trans).
Old 04-30-2012, 12:23 PM   #13
asus611 is on a distinguished road
asus611's Tacoma Gallery
I'm able to go about 40-50k on my brakes. I don't ride my brakes but I do a lot of stop and go driving. No hills.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:15 PM   #14

Thanks a lot for all the good input. I also asked one of the mechanics at Toyota that I know, and he said that Toyota has been using a "softer composition" in their pads to minimise rotor wear (lol but I have to get new rotors this time go figure)
Based on what you guys have said, it seems to me my rears aint contributing like they should. After reading here I called about the rears and they are adjusting the rears as well according to the writer so that's cool.
I appreciate the help. Thanks
Old 04-30-2012, 01:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Dave View Post
I paid $300 for new front pads AND new rotors and new brake fluid. If anyone is charging you $300 for just pads, you're getting screwed royally.
$574 for fronts, rotors and fluid change here what can I do-tried to find an online deal for Toyotas-no luck so at the end I'll hit him up for a last minute discount of some kind. That's a lot of money. Oh well-safety.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:25 PM   #16
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Wow Frank! Sounds like they werent resurfacing the rotors when replacing the pads. Thats all I can think of as to why the pads would wear down so quick.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #17

Quote:
$574 for fronts, rotors and fluid change here what can I do-tried to find an online deal for Toyotas-no luck so at the end I'll hit him up for a last minute discount of some kind. That's a lot of money. Oh well-safety.

So why not try taking it elsewhere? It's not like they're doing an engine swap, it's a simple brake job. Take it somewhere else I don't know anyone who would willfully throw away or pay almost $300 more than what you can get elsewhere. That $300 price I paid (New pads, new rotors, new brake fluid, adjust the rear brakes) was also including tax and was just a regular rate so you can get the same price. I just looked online and there is one in the Oakland area that has got good reviews on Google. If that's too far try another location.

AAMCO Transmissions & Total Car Care
3050 Brook Street, Oakland, CA
510) 836-4456
Old 04-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Wow Frank! Sounds like they werent resurfacing the rotors when replacing the pads. Thats all I can think of as to why the pads would wear down so quick.
Yeah Chris you're probably right because I remember they only resurfaced them once-on the third set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Dave View Post
So why not try taking it elsewhere? It's not like they're doing an engine swap, it's a simple brake job. Take it somewhere else I don't know anyone who would willfully throw away or pay almost $300 more than what you can get elsewhere. That $300 price I paid (New pads, new rotors, new brake fluid, adjust the rear brakes) was also including tax and was just a regular rate so you can get the same price. I just looked online and there is one in the Oakland area that has got good reviews on Google. If that's too far try another location.

AAMCO Transmissions & Total Car Care
3050 Brook Street, Oakland, CA
510) 836-4456
I appreciate what you're saying Dave-thanks. It's just a matter of I have been going to Toyota for service since the truck was new, and I don't want to cut the string. I trust this shop and the Burlingame shop too and I like "genuine Toyota parts" so..otherwise I'd be all up in that job myself like I did when I was younger.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:22 PM   #19
DblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DblCabMN's Tacoma Gallery
Dang! glad i am able to do a brake job myself. I just replaced my pads and rotors with:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...582248_0_3773_

and

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...4_172993_2708_

For $97+tax and am happy with the results so far, only have a thousand miles or so on them. Hoping they'll last a bit.

(for those to lazy to click through the link, I used Autozones Duralast Gold pads and rotors.)
Old 04-30-2012, 09:28 PM   #20
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DblCabMN View Post
Dang! glad i am able to do a brake job myself. I just replaced my pads and rotors with:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...582248_0_3773_

and

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...4_172993_2708_

For $97+tax and am happy with the results so far, only have a thousand miles or so on them. Hoping they'll last a bit.

(for those to lazy to click through the link, I used Autozones Duralast Gold pads and rotors.)
Was that very difficult to do? I have basic tools and am not a complete moron. I think I'm due for replacing mine this summer.

EDIT: Nevermind, I saw the videos in the DIY thread. It looks simple enough for me to do. I'll add it to my list of things to do this summer.