Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

All pro rear bumper and hitch?

Old 04-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #1
Pol500 is on a distinguished road

Pol500's Tacoma Gallery
All pro rear bumper and hitch?

I'd like to order all pros rear bumper but will a factory hitch still work?

EDIT: Sort of found my answer. I see you need all pros hitch mounting plates. What is it that interferes on the all pro bumper and a stock hitch? Does the all pro hang to far down or are the mounts in the way?
Old 04-29-2012, 10:02 PM   #3
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
the bumper mounts to the stock hitch location i believe. Then make a full hitch package you can get with it.
Edit, my bad 1st gens hah. Self fail for not looking
Old 04-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #4

Pol500's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone see any reason why I couldn't just cut the square receiver part off the hitch and weld it to the bottom of the all pro? I would think the all pro would be strong enough.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
TIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TIPICOTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pol500 View Post
What is it that interferes on the all pro bumper and a stock hitch? Does the all pro hang to far down or are the mounts in the way?
ever get your answer to this?

Quote:
Anyone see any reason why I couldn't just cut the square receiver part off the hitch and weld it to the bottom of the all pro? I would think the all pro would be strong enough.
anyone? anyone do this??

Quote:
Originally Posted by FailRated View Post
My all pro has a hitch. Is that not an option anymore?

Lemme know when you wanna sell that thing to me! I'm sure you're tired of it by now.. right!?
Old 09-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #9
TIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^ quite certain I could only afford the bumper AND I'l stick w/ my "Rad Baron" your truck is pretty sick though!

I need a new bumper w/ wrap arounds and a hitch, just don't like the set-up that AP offers currently.

I'm leaning towards that 4xI for sure
Old 09-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #10
RTO
FailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
FailRated's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPICOTACO View Post
^ quite certain I could only afford the bumper AND I'l stick w/ my "Rad Baron" your truck is pretty sick though!

I need a new bumper w/ wrap arounds and a hitch, just don't like the set-up that AP offers currently.

I'm leaning towards that 4xI for sure
Gotcha.

I really wanted a high clearance wrap around plate bumper with tire carrier. But this one was a good price used and I'd need to hit the lotto to get that bumper I really want The ol' trusty allpro will be serving duty on RTO for quite a while.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #11
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FailRated View Post
My all pro has a hitch. Is that not an option anymore?

^ that is the first/early production AP bumper.
the new Rr. AP bumpers no longer come with centered license plate boxing.

The centered receiver tube at the bottom was removed
as it was never intended/designed to be used for towing...
but only as a recovery point.

Problem was... some folk bent that bumper outward at the middle...
by either using a snatch recovery method, strapping heavy rigs...
or towed excessive weight the bumper was not classed to haul.

I have the early production AP bumper as well...
I actually like it more then the newer production model.
But I reinforced my centered hitch point...
so that it could tow and be used as a strong recovery point.
It required some custom fabricating and welding do that...
But mine has held up admirably to tons of recovery/towing use...
And it tows my light weight off road trailer on a regular basis, in difficult terrain, without concern.

The new AP production bumper model employs recovery points
at the rear frame rail mounts utilizing D rings (one driver, another pass.)
But the centered receiver tube/hitch is no longer...

And so that is why AP's independent hitch attachment is required for towing.
And that new hitch design meets approval for it's towing classification.

I was going to trade my Rr. bumper for a newer version...
with a friend that won a AP bumper at a raffle...
but after studying that newer design for a bit...
decided not to swap... because the new bumper would be harder
and more costly for me to modify and and reinforce that version...
in order to create a new hitch point at the rear/center.

On mine... I used the license plate boxing as support...
and welded a sq. cross tube extended to each rail end of the bumper's mounts... The centered receiver tube was tied into that for support.
The license plate box was utilized and gusseted to the cross member offering even more strength to the center section of the bumper...
Thus giving it the strength it needed to tow and recover with reliability.

I can post pics if anyone might give a shit.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:46 PM   #13
RTO
FailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I would love to see how you attached and re-inforced the receiver!! thanks for tunin in
Yeah, same here.

I guess this is another case of "they don't make them like they use to."
Old 09-07-2012, 10:36 PM   #14
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
Was my very first project...
I later came to realize my welder's gas solenoid became unplugged
accidentally during the shipping of that.
So once that problem was realized (noobie welder)
my welds began looking better...
I followed mine up...with modifying two other AP bumpers my buddy's owned.
Those turned out with better looking welds...
But this sucker has held up thru some hard hits and abuse...
So I didn't bother cleaning things up.

* It was modified in this fashion...
because the receiver hitch was already welded in place at the lower center of the bumper when received new from All Pro
And I also intended to be able to fit the 33" spare up under that ass end.

I'm thinking about cutting all the hitch stuff off...
and starting over, raising the receiver centered in the license plate box.
It would be hidden behind the license plate when not used.

It would have nicer looking welds... and be even stronger
with the new design.

But first I have to overcome my laziness

pics at the time of the modifications...

7 years later (current) still holding well...

Old 09-08-2012, 12:50 AM   #15
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
You should check out trail gear's rear tube bumper. The way the hitch is supported looks pretty beefy and I would trust mine for towing. The best tube bumper that would be used for towing specifically would be the 4xinnovations rear bumper. That's the one I wanted but I could get the TG one for much cheaper.

The two supports running to the hitch seems pretty solid.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:03 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDell View Post
I'm thinking about cutting all the hitch stuff off...
and starting over, raising the receiver centered in the license plate box.
It would be hidden behind the license plate when not used.
Thank YOu!! and hiding the hitch is what I would hope to do as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmok View Post
You should check out trail gear's rear tube bumper. The way the hitch is supported looks pretty beefy and I would trust mine for towing. The best tube bumper that would be used for towing specifically would be the 4xinnovations rear bumper. That's the one I wanted but I could get the TG one for much cheaper.

The two supports running to the hitch seems pretty solid.
That def looks solid and the price is right, but I'm still not quite sold on its style
Old 09-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #17
RTO

Quote:

That def looks solid and the price is right, but I'm still not quite sold on its style
I agree and thanks for the pics. I may just do what you did. I don't want my hitch behind the license plate so your setup is ideal for me.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #18

Pol500's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pol500
What is it that interferes on the all pro bumper and a stock hitch? Does the all pro hang to far down or are the mounts in the way?

ever get your answer to this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pol500

anyone? anyone do this??
I did end welding the hitch to the bottom. It's not much of a high clearance bumper anymore but if it does hit the ground nothing will happen.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #19
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
If it were me... I'd have welded that hitch behind the plate... then just swing the plate out of the way when you need to tow (which is what I'm doing now anyway) then you still retain the best of both
Old 09-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #20

Quote:
I did end welding the hitch to the bottom. It's not much of a high clearance bumper anymore but if it does hit the ground nothing will happen.

very nice, looks good and strong. Judging from the last pic there is plenty of room behind the license plate to fit the receiver (what I really want) add a few gussets and maybe a couple lateral support bars and we're good to go. thanks for posting pics!