Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Getting ready for New timing belt !

Old 04-30-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
elitre19 is on a distinguished road
elitre19's Tacoma Gallery
Getting ready for New timing belt !

So my timing belt is due to be changed , Im going to change the serpentine belts ,upper and lower radiator hoses , water pump , and thermostat. Is there anything else that I should replace ? And does anyone have a good link on timing belt replacement this will be my first time doing it. Thanks !

03 Tacoma prerunner
Old 05-01-2012, 09:06 AM   #3
elitre19 is on a distinguished road
elitre19's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks! What a great link!
Old 05-02-2012, 07:05 AM   #4
DOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Daniel
DOUBLLD's Tacoma Gallery
Cam seals an crank seal good idea
Old 05-02-2012, 07:41 AM   #5
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
^beat me to it
Old 05-02-2012, 08:07 AM   #6
DOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DOUBLLD's Tacoma Gallery
It would b in your best interest to find a local snap on guy or someone like that to get the tool to decompress the tensioner. Because you can't remove it easily trust me I'm a Toyota mechanic
Old 05-02-2012, 11:03 AM   #7
fdmsiv is on a distinguished road
fdmsiv's Tacoma Gallery
I was able to compress the tensioner pin in place with a 12" bar clamp. I had to cut some of the wood off the handle and turn it with some pliers but it did the trick.

When I did mine it took about 4 ~ 5 hrs of solid working. Throw in head scratching, looking for the tool you just had in your hand, and frequent trips to the cooler and your looking at the better part of a full day. I had a big piece of cardboard and would tape groups of bolts/nuts to the cardboard and label them in the order they came off. Putting everything back together was much easier this way for me.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #8
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
The only issue I had with removing the tensioner was getting the AC compressor out of the way. Slight pain in the ass, for sure, but not all that difficult. My kit came with a new Toyota tensioner.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:13 PM   #9

DOUBLLD's Tacoma Gallery
I just throw the bolts in the cowl an I remember where they go lol I've done a few on the 3.4
Old 10-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #10
ob3135 is on a distinguished road
ob3135's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLLD View Post
I just throw the bolts in the cowl an I remember where they go lol I've done a few on the 3.4
Hi DOUBLLD, could use some help. I'm a heavy equipment mechanic. That said, I hate tearing into jobs and finding I dont have a special tool.

Reckon you know all about this as a Yota mechanic. So will I need a special tool for the crank pulley? Also do you have a part # on the tensioner pulley tool?

You can avoid removing the AC compressor if you have the snap on tool right?

I've learned in the past, though equipment mechanics are far ahead of a novice, being one does not make you a "Auto Mechanic" two different world for sure :-) So props to you and any help you can provide :-)
Old 10-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #11
TallTacoma is a splendid one to beholdTallTacoma is a splendid one to beholdTallTacoma is a splendid one to beholdTallTacoma is a splendid one to beholdTallTacoma is a splendid one to beholdTallTacoma is a splendid one to beholdTallTacoma is a splendid one to behold

Army: FiSTers bring it fast and hard!
Name: Charles
TallTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Or, if you replace the timing belt tensioner while you're in there, you don't need the special snap on tool.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:24 PM   #12
ob3135 is on a distinguished road
ob3135's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks TallTacoma! That said, I hope to avoid that. I'm really just going in there cause when I was on the slope working (North slope in Alaska) the wife had the truck looked at and Dealer said the water pump leaked making the timing belt jump a cog and giving it a hard miss at high RPM, 3500 ish to be exact.

So I was planning on just zipping in there, replace the pump, thermostat, and belt and get out. Low cost.

That said though, I find it a bit weak how they say they came to this conclusion. Now that I'm back and have the full story. They told her first this was the prob, and I told her over the phone (Based on past experience with dealers, or I should say "Service reps who up here make money off how much money they make the dealer" so I had her ask "How exactly did your mechanic come to this diagnosis and did the shop foreman agree"... His answer was "He pulled the inspection window and observed the timing marks on the belt compared to the pulleys"... Soooo, I'm very suspicious, because there is no inspection window. Plus stopping the motor dead on top dead center is damn hard to do without manually turning it yourself. So what you think about that? Opinions? I'm tempted to re-diagnose it?