Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

95-96 grill sawp to 2001-2004?

Old 04-30-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
Bamahoyt is on a distinguished road

Name: Ted
Bamahoyt's Tacoma Gallery
95-96 grill sawp to 2001-2004?

I have seen tons of 2001-2004 grills for sale and my 1996 grill is shot anyway so I thought I would see if the swap was possible and how easy it might be. I know headlights might need to be swapped as well but I am looking for a face lift since I haven't seen too many 96 grills for as cheap as the 2001-2004 grills are. Thanks for any help you can give!
Old 04-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
Timicha
Timicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TIM
Timicha's Tacoma Gallery
i think you'd have to replace the hood, grill, lights, and bumper with 01-04 stuff
Old 04-30-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamahoyt View Post
I have seen tons of 2001-2004 grills for sale and my 1996 grill is shot anyway so I thought I would see if the swap was possible and how easy it might be. I know headlights might need to be swapped as well but I am looking for a face lift since I haven't seen too many 96 grills for as cheap as the 2001-2004 grills are. Thanks for any help you can give!
STLHarry is your man for this question.

He swapped a 95-97 grille onto his 01-04... so his thread/walkthrough will be very helpful to you.

What I've gathered, from nagging him like a wife, is that you will need:

Grille
Headlight assemblies
Headlight/bumper filler
Corner lights
Fenders
Hood
Bumper
Valence (with turn signals)
Core Support (I think)

The swap from 01-04 to 95-97 or 98-00 (or vice versa) is much more involved than a swap from 95-97 to 98-00 (or vice versa)

I'll try to dig up STLHarry's walkthrough and post it here

Edit: STLHarry's walkthrough: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...o-01-04-a.html
Old 04-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #4

Thanks for the help. What about swapping a 98-00 into my 96?
Old 04-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #5
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Thanks for the help. What about swapping a 98-00 into my 96?
Much simpler.

I'm eventually going to try and swap a 95-97 onto my 98-00 and from what I gathered from research is:

Headlight assemblies
Headlight/bumper filler
Grille
Core support (possibly)
Bumper (maybe not)
Valence (maybe not, depending if you don't need a bumper)
Old 04-30-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
Lube: It's the key to penetration.
STLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Charlotte VRS: EMT/Driver
Name: Harry
STLharry's Tacoma Gallery
Oh hello everybody!

OP, have you seen rockauto's catalougue? They have 4WD grilles for ~$30. Here is the link to the description (although it doesn't list the cost there4...you have to get that from the listing).

I say this because swapping an 01-04 front end onto the older trucks is more labour-intensive than the other way around. The holes for the headlights are different.
Here is the 95.5-97:

Here is the 01-04:

Note how the first truck has round holes but the second has oval ones? The 95.5-97 headlights will fit in the oval holes, but the 01-04 headlights will not fit in the round ones without cutting.

You will also need a whole new hood, which will set you back quite a bit even without adding in the cost of colour-matching it (I was lucky because I found another white truck to buy...but I was fully prepared to paint it if I needed to).

After that, you still need the corner trim pieces that go under the grille, headlights, and hood latch. You don't actually need corner lights, fenders, or a new bumper (I don't entirely know about the bumper, though, because I installed the ARB with the grille swap too).

Any other questions, feel free to PM me. Always glad to help!
Old 04-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #7

Thanks for the help! I think I will stick with the 96 grill and put my money else where.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #8
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
95-97 Front ends FTW!!!!

Dont swap!
Old 04-30-2012, 05:29 PM   #9
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
don't do it! you have the best front end with the best color already!
Old 04-30-2012, 05:35 PM   #10
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for the help! I think I will stick with the 96 grill and put my money else where.
Good decision. I like the 96 grills.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerseun View Post
Good decision. I like the 96 grills.
Is there a difference between 95.5, 96 and 97 grilles?

(assuming they're all for 4WD)
Old 04-30-2012, 05:46 PM   #12
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post

nope
Old 04-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #13
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post

No, i don't think so. by 96 I meant the 95.5 to 97 style.