Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

timing chain or timing belt ?

Old 04-30-2012, 04:39 PM   #1
Banned
sunflower is a splendid one to beholdsunflower is a splendid one to beholdsunflower is a splendid one to beholdsunflower is a splendid one to beholdsunflower is a splendid one to beholdsunflower is a splendid one to beholdsunflower is a splendid one to behold
sunflower's Tacoma Gallery
timing chain or timing belt ?

I have a 2002 Tacoma with V6 and 97,000 miles. I heard something about replacing either a timing BELT or a timing CHAIN at 95,000 miles but I dont know which one it is.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
If ya ain't first, your last!
CNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really nice
Name: Nate
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
belt
Old 04-30-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
and yes you need to change it along with the water pump ASAP. It was due at 90k.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:50 PM   #5
Banned
sunflower is a splendid one to beholdsunflower is a splendid one to beholdsunflower is a splendid one to beholdsunflower is a splendid one to beholdsunflower is a splendid one to beholdsunflower is a splendid one to beholdsunflower is a splendid one to behold
sunflower's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone know how much the dealer or a reputable shop would charge for this ?

Oh, and the people I bought the truck from said something about them replacing the belts, so how would I tell if they are new or old ?
Old 04-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower View Post
Does anyone know how much the dealer or a reputable shop would charge for this ?

Oh, and the people I bought the truck from said something about them replacing the belts, so how would I tell if they are new or old ?
they should write the last time it was changed on the timing cover. If there's nothing on the cover then I would assume its original.

Not sure on prices, I did it myself for under around 140 or so.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:58 PM   #8
Banned
hayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
hayabusa3303's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower View Post

The dealer here last time i checked was 399 for the replacement not including other stuff (Ie water pump or anything else)

Rule of thumb this is what i do replace timing belt replace all other belts and they are good to go till i replace the belts again I do mine a 60,000 miles.

As long as the belts are not cracking split torn anything like that they are ok. Look in the groove part of the belt if you see the ribs cracking badly or some is missing replace the belt.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:29 AM   #9
BVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to behold
BVCOTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I just had this done on my 02 Tacoma V6 about a month ago. The truck had 140k on it when I bought it and there was no record of the timing belt being changed. I had a toyota dealership in Colorado Springs do it and it was $600 for the time belt and replacing the water pump. The dealer put a sticker on the air filter box stating the mileage it was changed at.