Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Patching Stock Fiberglass Fender Flares

Old 05-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Patching Stock Fiberglass Fender Flares

I want to restore my fender flares and honestly was just going to prime and paint them as is (yeah, lazy I know)

But there are three significant chunks of the fiberglass missing (see pics)

I've never worked with fiberglass or bondo but know they're messy and kind of a PITA. I've seen jars of premixed fiberglass and bondo on the shelves and was wondering if that is a good route. If so, how would you go about doing these?

What are the chances I succeed as a first time user (and full time loser )?

And do you think it's worth the hassle or should I just paint over them as is?

Driver's side front:

Passenger side rear:

Both rear flares have those tiny little pits from years of rocks kicking up against them... and both seemingly have some tape (?) at the bottom for extra protection. I assume I will have to remove that before painting.

Thanks for any input
Old 05-01-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
jeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jesse
jeepdude's Tacoma Gallery
fiberglass? I thought they were plastic...I'm new to Tacomas...that's why they paint up so nicely compared to plastic. I'm no big fan of filler (bondo) but with minor and shallow gouges like you have, shouldn't be a problem. Like taping drywall seems, it's sort of an art, but if doing it yourself, it's just your time and materials, not that difficult for a repair like you need
Old 05-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pretty sure they changed over to plastic for 01-04.

So bondo will bond with fiberglass
Old 05-01-2012, 05:58 PM   #4
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Not that difficult to repair, best thing is watch some video on you tube, kit sell for about $25, my 04 flares are fiberglass.

Same process as bondo repair just different material.

With out some body and fender experience you most likely won't be happy with your results.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:05 PM   #5
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Those holes are small enough that you might be able to use a two-part epoxy to fill it. Let the epoxy dry and sand it flush. Cheap $6 durable fix. I have filled holes in a work bench top like that and it worked perfect. The epoxy part is now harder than the surrounding wood and not going anywhere.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twfsa View Post
With out some body and fender experience you most likely won't be happy with your results.
Trust me, my expectations are low
Old 05-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerseun View Post
Those holes are small enough that you might be able to use a two-part epoxy to fill it. Let the epoxy dry and sand it flush. Cheap $6 durable fix. I have filled holes in a work bench top like that and it worked perfect. The epoxy part is now harder than the surrounding wood and not going anywhere.
Will that epoxy bond to fiberglass?

Admittedly I know nothing of fiberglass.