Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

AC Compressor

Old 05-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
my6 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: SAC/SP
my6's Tacoma Gallery
AC Compressor

My AC Compressor is making a thumping sound and the pulley has a slight wobble it seems. The system is still cooling as always but fear a catastrophic AC malfunction is on my horizon. Can someone give me an idea as to just what is going on inside the compressor? I'm thinking a bearing is going bad.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by my6 View Post
My AC Compressor is making a thumping sound and the pulley has a slight wobble it seems. The system is still cooling as always but fear a catastrophic AC malfunction is on my horizon. Can someone give me an idea as to just what is going on inside the compressor? I'm thinking a bearing is going bad.
If the pulley is wobbly then you are correct. The front bearing is going bad. I wouldnt wait too long. If the bearing seizes then you could have catastrophic compressor failure and that means $$$$.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:30 PM   #3

my6's Tacoma Gallery
Can it be pulled apart and the bearing replaced?
Old 05-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yes it could. But the cost to rebuild possibly would exceed that if a new compressor. Shop around on the Internet and see if you can find any companies that rebuild them and compare the costs.

Personally I would just replace the whole thing. But that's just the mechanic in me.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #5

my6's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info. Do you know if the same compressor found on any other models or do I need to pull one of a tacoma?
Old 05-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
Honey badger hits whatever tree he wants to hit!!
Honey badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 Zulu
Name: Bon
Honey badger's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php
Go here I just replaced my compressor with the Denso one a few weeks ago. Works great so far!
Old 05-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #7

Not sure on that. Here's one I found on parts geek. Very bottom of page. http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...ompressor.html

$300 isn't too bad. I've seen some cost up to $800 for other cars.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #8
pavement is boring....
lotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jace
lotsoftoys's Tacoma Gallery
i just replaced my compressor bearing for 30 dollars last week....
Old 05-02-2012, 06:14 PM   #9

my6's Tacoma Gallery
Well I knew it was coming.. AC quit today and theres black plastic stuff coming out from behind the pulley. It also popped the 10amp fuse. Gonna have to sweat a bit till the weekend when I can pull it apart and see if it's just the clutch gone bad or if it is completely fried. Oh joy and Rapture! Houston traffic and no AC..
Old 05-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #10
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
Im sorry to say but if it did that its gone. like radiator fluid, freon has oil in it to lub everything, that why even in winter you should turn in on one a month to keep the seal lubed up so they don't dry out and crack. I hate ac stuff, because when it goes wrong, it adds up. plus you have to be careful now if trash is now in your lines, if you just replace the compressor the trash will destroy it.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #11

my6's Tacoma Gallery
Yes sir, it's a definite possibility. I've got a bud who told me to cut the belt off and rotate the clutch and pulley looking for flat spots and I found none. Before I pull the trigger on a new compressor we are gonna pull it and see if it just needs a bearing and or a clutch. It's a long shot but I'm hoping.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:23 PM   #12

my6's Tacoma Gallery
NEVER EVER GIVE UP! AND It's confirmed..I AM living right! It turned out the clutch was indeed fried but that's all and no debris was sent through the system. My buddy Frank had an old salvaged compressor on a shelf and I drove home in comfort. All in all a very very good day.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #13
Tacoma2525 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Tacoma2525's Tacoma Gallery
LOTSOFTOYS : Do you by chance know the bearing number you replaced it with?
Old 06-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #14
998cc is on a distinguished road
Name: Russ
998cc's Tacoma Gallery
For my 1996 Tacoma w/3RZFE engine, I bought a new Denso compressor from Partsgeek 2 weeks ago for 214.00. It does not come with a new manifold, so you have to use the one off the old compressor. New o-ring seals are included. So far, so good. Russ
Old 06-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #15
Firefighter:
was yours making a thumping noise as to why you replaced it when the compressor would engage?
Old 06-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #16

my6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma2525 View Post
was yours making a thumping noise as to why you replaced it when the compressor would engage?

Yes sir it was.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #17
Firefighter:
Im assuming replacing your compressor solved your problem? Mine only has 112,000 miles on it, what about yours? I appreciate you helping me diagnose this thing, its been doing it for a while and getting annoying now.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #18

my6's Tacoma Gallery
Yes sir it did. 188K.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #19
marintacoma is on a distinguished road

marintacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by my6 View Post
Yes sir it did. 188K.
Anyone find a write up in how to pull one out?
Old 09-11-2013, 12:27 PM   #20
mc3404 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
mc3404's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyones compressor clutch hub wobble when it is engauged? I have a bran new compressor and the hub wobbles when it is engaged? Anyone elses do that?