Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Parking Break Locking Up

Old 05-02-2012, 07:37 AM   #1
bourdlay is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
bourdlay's Tacoma Gallery
Parking Break Locking Up

My passenger side rear break locks up when I set the Parking Break. If I jump under the truck and wiggle the cable where it is attached behind the break drum I can free it up. Do I need to replace the cable because of stretch?
Old 05-02-2012, 07:40 AM   #2
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
No it just needs to be adjusted. It's fairly straight forward, I think there is a How-To posted somewhere on here.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:41 AM   #3
TenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
TenBeers's Tacoma Gallery
Spray some WD40 on it but don't get any in the BRAKE drum.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourdlay View Post
My passenger side rear break locks up when I set the Parking Break. If I jump under the truck and wiggle the cable where it is attached behind the break drum I can free it up. Do I need to replace the cable because of stretch?
You can adjust it very easily:

http://www.lieblweb.com/ebrakeadjustment.html
Old 05-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
bourdlay is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
bourdlay's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome, thanks guys always a big help. I will adjust it tonite.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #6
takern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: marine corps
Name: Tanner
takern's Tacoma Gallery
you will probably need some pb blaster or liquid wrench. i had the same thing a few weeks ago and the bolts were on there tight
Old 05-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
pt law is on a distinguished road
Name: Steve
pt law's Tacoma Gallery
Given that your in Michigan, I am willing to bet it is not your cable that needs adjusted. It is that the bell crank (where the cable attached on outside of drum) is getting stuck due to rust. That is why when you jiggle the cable it lets go finally. Happened to me recently.

Here is a thorough write up on fixing the problem for good:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...stick-fix.html

However, I took the cheap and easy way and sprayed PB Blaster inside the rubber boot and then worked the bell crank back and forth a bunch of times. Have not had a problem since.

Either way, hope you get it fixed.