Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What dimensions for a camper top for my 1996 ext cab?

Old 05-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #1
Bamahoyt is on a distinguished road

Name: Ted
Bamahoyt's Tacoma Gallery
What dimensions for a camper top for my 1996 ext cab?

I am looking for the dimensions I would need for 96 ext cab sr5 because I measured it and then looked at some measurements for camper tops on and they say they fit my tacoma but the measurements don't equal out so I am just tryin to see exactly what I need and how it should be measured both on the camper top and the bed. Thanks for your help!
Old 05-02-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamahoyt View Post
I am looking for the dimensions I would need for 96 ext cab sr5 because I measured it and then looked at some measurements for camper tops on and they say they fit my tacoma but the measurements don't equal out so I am just tryin to see exactly what I need and how it should be measured both on the camper top and the bed. Thanks for your help!
With the extra cab you also have to make sure that the front of the topper matches the curve of the rear of the cab.

The ext cab has a different shape than the regular cab (which is more vertical).

So technically there are toppers that have the same dimensions (width and length) that are different for ext cabs and reg cabs.

This is the best picture I have that shows the profile of the ext cab and topper. See how the line of the cab moves forward and the topper matches it? The regular cab is more vertical. So if you accidentally buy a topper for a regular cab, you will more than likely rub the cab with the topper

Old 05-02-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
Bamahoyt is on a distinguished road

Name: Ted
Bamahoyt's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks that helps for sure. So chances are, it needs to be directly from an ext cab tacoma?
Old 05-02-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamahoyt View Post
Thanks that helps for sure. So chances are, it needs to be directly from an ext cab tacoma?
Yes, assuming the previous owner understood the difference as well.

You'll easily be able to tell the difference of the front line of an ext cab versus a reg cab topper

Here's a pic (after a quick search) that shows the difference hopefully

Old 05-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
Common Sense Ninja
thatSchusterguy is on a distinguished road
thatSchusterguy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
With the extra cab you also have to make sure that the front of the topper matches the curve of the rear of the cab.

The ext cab has a different shape than the regular cab (which is more vertical).

So technically there are toppers that have the same dimensions (width and length) that are different for ext cabs and reg cabs.

This is the best picture I have that shows the profile of the ext cab and topper. See how the line of the cab moves forward and the topper matches it? The regular cab is more vertical. So if you accidentally buy a topper for a regular cab, you will more than likely rub the cab with the topper
Pretty sure you have that backwards, a regular cab topper will fit fine on an extended cab truck, but an extended cab topper will rub a regular cab truck.

My topper doesn't have the slope forward and fits just fine, there's a bit of a gap but nothing terrible. OP get the best one you can find and definitely go for the windoors if possible!
Old 05-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
Lube: It's the key to penetration.
STLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Charlotte VRS: EMT/Driver
Name: Harry
STLharry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatSchusterguy View Post
Pretty sure you have that backwards, a regular cab topper will fit fine on an extended cab truck, but an extended cab topper will rub a regular cab truck.

My topper doesn't have the slope forward and fits just fine, there's a bit of a gap but nothing terrible. OP get the best one you can find and definitely go for the windoors if possible!
Spot on. Although, I have sold a camper shell from my Xtra Cab to somebody with a reg. cab and it didn't rub really at all.