Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Need help removing dash trim piece

Old 05-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Need help removing dash trim piece

Can't for the life of me get this piece out. It's the little trim piece directly to the passenger side of the e-brake handle.

As you can see there was a screw at the top and a bolt that went through both the trim piece under the steering column and this one. If I put my hand behind that piece (and the black trim piece that surrounds the stereo et al) I don't feel anything. Yet it is really in there.

I don't want to force it too much because that black trim is a $95 piece of plastic and I'd imagine this little stuck bastid is expensive too.

Has anyone removed that and remember how they did?

Old 05-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
boshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tony
boshak's Tacoma Gallery
I quickly scanned this article. It looks like it has what you need...

http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=77
Old 05-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by boshak View Post
I quickly scanned this article. It looks like it has what you need...

http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=77
Thanks for the help but that does not go into how to remove the piece I want out.

Looking at the parts list, it doesn't show how to remove it either.

(page 18, right column, part 19 in the diagram)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 95-2000_parts_list.pdf (5.85 MB, 38 views)
Old 05-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
boshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to behold

boshak's Tacoma Gallery
Shoot sorry man! Thought it was step 8. If I were you, I'd remove the radio surround to poke around to see if there's any extra screws or hidden clips.

What are you trying to access?
Old 05-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #5
jesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to behold

Name: jesus
jesus's Tacoma Gallery
Lose the stereo plate and you'll be able to remove it....
Old 05-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boshak View Post
What are you trying to access?
Trying to remove it to paint it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
Lose the stereo plate and you'll be able to remove it....
Crap, I was hoping that wasn't the case. For some reason I'm not psyched to remove that $95 piece of plastic.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:17 AM   #7
jesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to behold

Name: jesus
jesus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Trying to remove it to paint it.

Crap, I was hoping that wasn't the case. For some reason I'm not psyched to remove that $95 piece of plastic.
It easy... About 4-8 screws and pop of ya don't have to pull it all the way off just lose it on the driver side a bit...
Old 05-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
It easy... About 4-8 screws and pop of ya don't have to pull it all the way off just lose it on the driver side a bit...
In my 1998 do I have to remove the fan and climate temp switch/knobs?

In that CT write up it also says I have to remove the AC button.

I'm scuuurred
Old 05-03-2012, 11:32 AM   #9

boshak's Tacoma Gallery
Knobs yes... They pull right out.

Edit: Yes you need to pull AC button. Ugh getting confused with years.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #10

Got it.

Just removed the climate control face plate. Popped the driver's side screw out, removed the screw under the ashtray and was able to pull the driver's side of the stereo face plate out far enough to remove that trim piece (which has two retainer clips shown below)

Thanks guys!

Old 05-03-2012, 11:35 AM   #11

boshak's Tacoma Gallery
Dont be scared man. It's really simple. Just take your time and pull from the clip areas to give you the most leverage.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:35 AM   #12

boshak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Got it.

Just removed the climate control face plate. Popped the driver's side screw out, removed the screw under the ashtray and was able to pull the driver's side of the stereo face plate out far enough to remove that trim piece (which has two retainer clips shown below)

Thanks guys!

Nice!
Old 05-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #13

While I was at it, I just pulled the whole stereo plate out and fixed my cigarette lighter.

Every time I pulled an 12v plug out of it, my entire cigarette lighter would come out. There is a sleeve that clips onto the back of it. Just put it back in place.

That was only 13 years in the making.