Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Wheelers five pack

Old 05-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
poseytaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Nicholas
poseytaco's Tacoma Gallery
Wheelers five pack

I'm getting the wheelers five pack and 5100 for the rear soon. Looking for a good option to match it up front. I am thinking either bilstein 5100 set in the middle with my factory coils, or ome 880 with their shock. Not much worried about price or a tall lift in front. More worried about on road ride and offroad capibilies. Anyone run either setup.?
Old 05-03-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
zbaldo has a spectacular aura aboutzbaldo has a spectacular aura about

Name: Ozzy
zbaldo's Tacoma Gallery
I run custom made s shaped springs I'm curious though as I have seen a few other people with this setup
Old 05-03-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by poseytaco View Post
I'm getting the wheelers five pack and 5100 for the rear soon. Looking for a good option to match it up front. I am thinking either bilstein 5100 set in the middle with my factory coils, or ome 880 with their shock. Not much worried about price or a tall lift in front. More worried about on road ride and offroad capibilies. Anyone run either setup.?
I have 881s and Nitrochargers, and I like it. It is a little and taller firmer than an 880 will be (which I have never had).
Old 05-03-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
I thought 881's at first, but I think it will be to high in the front matched with the 5 pack (1.5in lift)
Old 05-03-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I thought 881's at first, but I think it will be to high in the front matched with the 5 pack (1.5in lift)
Mine was about dead even when newly installed, and I have a cap on full-time and a rubber mat. I think the back is beginning to sag a tiny bit now, but can't really tell without measuring.

880s would be fine. You'll probably have about .5 inch rake.

edit: pics

This was right after lift, June 2010:

This was last November 2011:

After 4000 miles, the leafs had settled .5 inch, the coils .25.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:41 PM   #7
boshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tony
boshak's Tacoma Gallery
881's, nitrochargers, and 5 leaf pack with 5100s... No camper, stock bumpers, V6 ex cab

Floor to fender measurement at axles
Front: 37"
Rear: 38"

When I had my camper, it was a bit more even.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
Thanks fellas. What about stock coils.?
Old 05-15-2012, 03:15 PM   #10
sportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
sportsterchop200's Tacoma Gallery
5100's fit?

You guys running the 5100's with the 5 pack rear leaf have you had any issues with the shock length? I have heard that they are only good up to 1" lift. I've also heard 2" lift and 3" lift. I think 3" is what wheelers advertises. Any opinions.

You nitrocharger guys can give your opinions as well if you like.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:44 PM   #12
Norton, do you have any pics?
Old 05-15-2012, 09:02 PM   #13
sportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Yeah I read that link previously, then I talked to someone (email) at DSM. They said that the 5125's are what I should look at if I lift the rear 2-2.5". They advised that the 5100 would be to short. Unless I read those other posts wrong they are suggesting the 5100 over the 5125. So I wanted to here from actual users. But thanks for the link.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:12 PM   #14
Oh I forgot to mention I started a link specifically for 881 users, it's titled "Post Your OME 881 Setup Pictures". If your intrested feel free to add your pictures if your using 881's. I posted this because of the recent Wheelers group buy and for my own intrests. Alot of those guys seem to be looking at running 881's as well.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:21 PM   #15
I was recommended to go with the 5100's. Maybe because the five pack is not a tall lift. My cousin put the dakar pack and 883's on his truck. Same truck that I have, 4cyl 2.7 single cab, 2003.(mine is a 2000.) it raised it a full 3+ in the front. He was worried about angles so he ordered 881's. They are installed now and he sits almost level. Maybe .5" higher in the rear. I think the 881's would put me nose high in the front without a heavy bumper paired with the 5-pack. Seems like the regular cabs get different results. He's building a front bumper that will be installed in the next couple weeks. I'll be anxious to see how it affects the 881's. I'm still not sure the route I will be taking for front.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:07 AM   #16
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Norton, do you have any pics?
Pics are available in my Gallery and at the link I posted above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterchop200 View Post
Yeah I read that link previously, then I talked to someone (email) at DSM. They said that the 5125's are what I should look at if I lift the rear 2-2.5". They advised that the 5100 would be to short. Unless I read those other posts wrong they are suggesting the 5100 over the 5125. So I wanted to here from actual users. But thanks for the link.
Given the number of us running 5100s with Wheelers 5-leafs, and the information in the post you read, that doesn't make any sense. (The most recent Group Buy is at least the third I can recall and, IIRC, 5100s are suitable for applications with 1"-3" of lift.) I believe you misunderstood something.

I am an "actual user" who's running 5100s with 2"-2.5" of rear lift, BTW.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:30 AM   #17
My reply to DSM

You all come highly recomended on the Tacoma World foroum and they say
you even offer a discount. Anyway, what I'm attempting to figure out is
what rear shocks to use on the rear of a 2003 Tacoma Ext Cab TRD 4x4. I
am going to be adding rear shackles for around a 3/4"-1" total lift (1
1/4-1 1/2" advertised, Daystar or All Pro). In the future I may add new
springs but the rear lift will never be more than 3". Which Bilstein
shocks should I be looking at, 5100 or 5125? Wheelers suggest that the
5100's are good for 0-3" lift while others say 0-1" lift. What do you
all suggest? I am planning to run OME 881 coils with the 5100 fronts and
proably one of the 10mm trim kits. Any help is greatley appreciated.
Thanks, Brad

Their Reply

Hello,

For a 3" lift there will be no 5100 series shocks available so you will
need to run the 5125 series shock. Now it may vary but you will likely
need a 9" or 10" travel shock. We get varying answers from people so we
suggest you measure for the shocks once you get the final install done
and then purchase the shock from there so you can get the closest ones
to fit your particular truck.

Thanks,
DSM

Thats a politicians answer so I replied to that message to clarify that my rear lift would proably be 2-2.5" and would never exceed 3". Never heard anything back. Unless I am misunderstanding something here or on one of the other threads they are suggesting that 5100's won't work. That is what I put this out for, to hear from actuall users. So thank you Norton for the continued information.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:52 AM   #18
Save a horse ride a Railroader
Catcrazed is a splendid one to beholdCatcrazed is a splendid one to beholdCatcrazed is a splendid one to beholdCatcrazed is a splendid one to beholdCatcrazed is a splendid one to beholdCatcrazed is a splendid one to beholdCatcrazed is a splendid one to behold
Air Force: C-17 Loadmaster 2300 hrs
Name: Bryan
Catcrazed's Tacoma Gallery
Here is what I found during my search for the exact same rear setup. I searched around and got the colapst and extended length of various shocks. Basically the rear of a 1st gen is hard to buy shocks for because the compressed length needs to be so short it is hard to find a shock that will truly extend to full capability unless u buy the very spendy short body shock. the 5100 wheelers recomends is only 1" longer then stock but it is very bad to over compress the shock so they go with a shorter shock and reduce your droop. I found this unexceptable. I think the 5125 fit better. I cheaped out and found some skyjacker nitro's from summit racing in the perfect length. Lower the bump stop down a little and run a longer shock is my opinon because the pos arch wheelers spring shouldnt compress that far aka it would have to go inverted and would be bad for the spring. droop is important got to keep the tires on the ground for traction. All this is just my opinion and hope it helps. Btw my truck rode great with that rear setup.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #19
Just updated info for anyone intrested. This is not intended to bash or praise anyone, it's just info so I hope it is useful for someone.

It's Marco, and I;m the guy on TW. Not sure if you got this handled yet,
but I see that nobody responded to your last message here. There is SO
MUCH conflicting info out there for shocks, that I know it can be
frustrating. Here's some info, and let me know if you still need some
help with after this...

The RCD 5100 rear shock dimensions are: 21.6" Driver side & 22.5"
passenger side. They are a full 2" longer than the Bilstein 4600 series
stock replacement shocks. If you're planning on staying in the 2-2.5"
range, you should be fine with these. If you were planning on 3" or
more, then I would recommend measuring for the correct length rear
shocks. Now, that said...if you're only adding the 3/4"-1" of lift,
you'll need to possibly modify the compression bumps on the chassis
(bump stops), as these shocks have a longer collapsed length, and could
potentially bottom out. The 5100 collapsed lengths are: 14" Driver &
14.6" passenger. Compared to the 4600 shocks at: 12.80" Driver & 13.19"
passenger. You can see how they may potentially bottom.

I hope this helps, and let me know if you need anything else...

Thank you,
-Marco @ DSM