Notices

Brand New with a 97 Tacoma

Old 05-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
Crackerjackshot is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: Aviation School
Name: Casey
Crackerjackshot's Tacoma Gallery
Brand New with a 97 Tacoma

Hey guy's, this is my first post on this site though I have read quite a few of the threads on here. I am not master mechanic by any means but am faced with a tough decision. 3 years ago I bought a 97 tacoma 4x4 and paid 2000 bucks for it with 172000 miles on it. Now she has 207000 and has had very minimal problems. One of the main questions I need answered before I decide to fix it up and keep it vs. buy another vehicle when she starts to go is if I can make the interior quieter and comfortable. What are some of the best/cheaper ways to do that? If I put the money towards the Taco Ill eventually be putting a 6 inch suspension on it, as big of tires that I can fit, changing the axle gears, supercharging it, getting grill guard/lights, new ignition systems and intakes, and general interior stuff. One thing I think about is the ability to buy a 2000 dollar replacement engine. I feel like I can keep her going forever with that option. Any input on the question or the entire situation is greatly appreciated. Here are some pics...

Oh, just finished the paint job I've always wanted to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Brand New with a 97 Tacoma-012.jpg   Brand New with a 97 Tacoma-013.jpg   Brand New with a 97 Tacoma-014.jpg   Brand New with a 97 Tacoma-015.jpg  
Old 05-03-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
Oh yeah, she has the 3.4 L V6. Not TRD even though it had the sticker on the back. She's a 5 spd.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Seems conflicted to want it as quiet as possible (via cheapest method possible) and wanting to have the biggest tires on it as possible.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #4
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!

Nice truck, interesting choice in paint job..
Old 05-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
Cvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Cory
Cvd2312's Tacoma Gallery
If you want it to keep going forever, keep it stock and don't do all that stuff to it.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #6
Yes it does. The only reason that I feel I need to quiet the inside is due to the fact that I already have AT Tires on it and get a fair amount of road noise. I wont go any more aggressive on the tread so I think I should be able to keep the noise the same. Cheapest possible is really just if I can, if I need to spend a little more I will. I am a hunter and a duck hunter at that, after school I fully intend to get back into hunting a lot during the winter and need something that might have to handle some marsh or other water type situations. The paint job is something I've always wanted to try on my truck after I did my own shotgun, it looks better in person. Oh, and trust me the previous paint job looked terrible.
And NOT keeping it stock is the only reason that I would prolong the life anymore than it already will live. It's a great truck, but I might as well buy another if I'm just going to leave it like that. I've always wanted a tough, lifted 4x4. It's just a difference in what I want.